The Perfect Hoop for Quilting With Your Embroidery Machine

Get ready for National Quilting Month. This hoop is perfect for quilting with your embroidery machine!

As embroidery machines gain larger stitching areas, they are wonderful for quilting. This hoop, the Snap Hoop Monster from DIME, is so easy to use for both embroidery and quilting.

This is a great tutorial on quilting with a magnetic hoop by my friend, Bonnie, at SewInspiredByBonnie.com.

Getting Started

First, make a template of your quilting design. 

Pin baste layers of fabric and batting together. Make your batting and backing a little bit bigger than you ordinarily would if you were taking it to a long-arm quilter. You're going to be quilting off the edge and you want to have something there to stitch on.

Marking the Quilt

Find the center of your quilt top. Take a water-soluble pen and draw a line down the center the entire length of your quilt. Fortunately, one of my seams on my quilt was the center. 

Use the template you created and start about a quarter-inch from the top edge of the quilt and a quarter-inch from the centering line. I folded the edge of the template to the stitching edges of the design.

I spaced designs about a half inch apart. Anywhere from a quarter inch to a half inch is a good distance, depending upon the size of the stitching or the design itself.

I made columns running down the center and then on each side. Once you have your quilt sandwich basted and you have your lines drawn on your quilt, you can start using your magnetic hoop.

Stitching the Quilting Design

When it comes time to quilt, put your template on top exactly where you want it to be. Pin it in place, using the centering lines drawn on the template.

Position the bottom hoop under the template.

Line up the top hoop and then just let it come on down.

Make sure that everything is nice and centered. If it's not, shift it a little bit. Be sure the center line on the quilt lines up with the center lines on your hoop and that you're just a half- or quarter-inch from your first quilted design.

Stitch out the quilting design and re-hoop for the next area.

With the Snap Hoop Monster, it was a lot faster for me. I cut my hooping time from 15 or 20 minutes of struggling and fighting with quilt layers, down to maybe five. 

Thanks, Bonnie!

Debbie SewBlest