Fussy Cutting Applique

Fussy cutting can really make an impact when properly combined with applique.

The whole idea of fussy cutting is to align or cut select areas of fabric so their arrangement is used to the greatest benefit. Showcasing designs within fabric makes a standard quilt block or applique design spectacular.

You may remember this tutorial? 
The fabric used in the Cold Hands, Warm Heart: Using Cutwork as Applique project was fussy cut, meaning I selectively chose to feature the wording, "Let it Snow," in the applique rather than just randomly placing any piece of fabric. It kicks the embroidery up a bit.
In this in-the-hoop (ITH) mug rug, I chose a snowflake fabric for the base. I placed the large snowflake in the corner opposite of the snowman applique.It balanced the layout. By placing it so it ran slightly off the edge compared to the other snowflakes, it gave the impression of motion, just like falling snowflakes.
Another ITH project used an ornate brown paisley-type print as the face of an appliqued owl. Careful measurement was necessary to center the main fabric design which, I thought, resembled the owl's breast feathers.
Once stitched, the fabric's placement beautifully utilizes the ridge above the owl's nose and rippled feathers under his beak. Sometimes, a little bit of careful fabric planning is time well spent when the result has that extra pop.

Debbie SewBlest