Fontitude: Tips for Using Fonts

Tips on Using Fonts

There are hundreds, maybe thousands, of machine embroidery fonts on the market. But just because they are available in so many different styles doesn’t mean they work well in all applications. Here are some things to consider when choosing fonts.

Readability

The basic function of fonts is to produce text. If you can’t read the text, then why use a font? Fonts can make or break any design.

This font is beautiful and would work well as a single or multiple letter monograms.

But try to create any wording beyond that and it is extremely hard to read.

Same with this font. It makes a beautiful accent as a single monogram or a drop capital.

Cute as the mouse is, it only works when used as the first letter and paired up with a primary font

like Beyond Wonderland.

The English Rose font is a good example of using embellished fonts that are still readable.

Case

Be cautious when using all capitals, especially with a heavy font which tends to look “angry.” Mix upper case and lower case letters to make your embroidery readable. English Rose works well in this way too.

You also need to take the entire font alphabet into consideration. With Pristina, the letters “I” and “J” look almost identical. I notice this often because my eldest daughter’s name is Jocelynn, so I look at the letter “J” as a possible single-letter monogram. This would not work well for me in that case because I want a "J" that looks like a "J."

Attitude

Fonts have the power to generate attitude. The Magnolia font is a great example of a fun font that is easy to read.

Even Salsa can be used as a one- or two-word design without being overwhelming. You would not want to stitch out a poem, but can use a decorative font effectively in moderation.

Fairy Font is adorable and quite unique in that you can place the fairy wherever you like. What little girl wouldn’t love it?

Most any font can be used successfully if chosen carefully! What is your favorite go-to font?

Debbie SewBlest