The Avid Embroiderer Presents - A Little Celtic Lore and Freebie for your Embellishment Collection

I am no 'History buff' but somethings have a way of being interesting just by "being." For years, I did not know that the 'C' Celtic was pronounced as a 'K.' But, as I always have told my kids - you don't know what you don't know. 
During a search on the Net, I found this simple description of Celtics -
The Celts were a collection of tribes with origins in central Europe that shared a similar language, religious beliefs, traditions and culture. It’s believed that the Celtic culture started to evolve as early as 1200 B.C. The Celts spread throughout western Europe—including Britain, Ireland, France and Spain—via migration.

The history lesson is over.

I try to remember to put a basting stitch around all of my designs. But, I forget sometimes. . . (Well, they are Freebies!) A basting stitch is, traditionally, meant to hold the work in place as you are moving forward with your project. If, indeed I have forgotten to place one on your design, please add one yourself!

Why you might ask? That line/frame gives so much more information that may meet your eye. For example:
  • Those few stitches are a visual sign before you have placed 20k stitches and then see some miscue. (Been there, done that!)
  • It will assist you to see if your design has been placed in a straight layout. While it is not perfect for that, it will give you the opportunity to assess a mishap. 
  • Measuring the overall design helps you to see if the size of your design is right for your arrangement. 
  • Taking a quick look at just the baste could save a lot of time and frustration.
  • If it not placed accurately, leave it on the project and adjust. When you place the second baste, (in a different color) you can see how much you have adjusted. It is wonderful that our programs can move 1 degree up to a full circle. For me, I am not that able to determine the specific adjustment between 4 degrees and say 5 degrees. 
  • And, as a bonus, you can be able to place items side by side. They don't even need to be repetitive, it might be a ball next to a tree. Lining up the baste makes your project more accurate.
  • One thing to add, when you are working with an embellishment like these, I do recommend placing a 'top' stabilizer before beginning to stitch. These types of stitches are small and those close needle strikes can lead to stitches sinking. Adding a topper to any work (well, maybe not large fields) will take your work to the next level. Sheen comes from a stitch that is catching available light. 
If you like my Freebies, please do consider checking out the specials available here at AnnTheGran.com.  Supporting a site is helpful for everyone. It takes a 'village' to create a well-functioning website. (Yes, there are some that don't function too well!)

While this one is under $4, it did catch my eye!  The Monogram is not included but I am sure you have something you would like to place in that center. 

Here is my Freebie, I am pleased with the outcome. I hope you like it and use it soon. 

Baste - Blue
Vine - Green
Flowers - Pink
'Nuff said!

Thank you for joining me, I know your time is important and being mindful of your "favorite" craft, which keeps us more sane these days, is my gift to you. Stay safe and remember who you are protecting from the virus. 

Comments (1) -

It maybe just the 'lowly' baste stitch, but it really can help those of us who are challenged to get things straight.

It is my standing joke, if it is crooked, I did it! (Hanging pictures, drawing lines, etc.)

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer