Tips for Buying Glitter Vinyl

Glitter vinyl is the newest rage in applique. But not all glitter vinyl is created equal. I was following a group thread last week and it discussed what type of glitter vinyl to buy for machine applique.

If you remember this post about creating a stand-alone patriotic heart using glitter flex heat vinyl, you will see it is just as easy to use for applique as cotton. Where you buy it makes all the difference in the quality of the end product.

Here are some things to know before buying glitter vinyl:

Quality Counts

I only use Fusible Glitter Flex Ultra and Glitter Flex II. My vendor did extensive research on various kinds and this is what she bases her reputation on. It is the same fabric used by professionals in sports and costume embroidery.

I don't like glitter as a craft embellishment because I don't want to see evidence of it throughout my house for the next six months. Other embroiderers complained of the same problem when they bought glitter vinyl sheets from big box stores. Glitter Flex does not shed the glitter.

Ease of Use

Glitter Flex Vinyl has a very soft drape, is about the same weight as cotton, and can be washed.

For applique embroidery enthusiasts, it also has an adhesive backing that holds it in place while stitching. After the tack-down stitch, Glitter Flex Vinyl tears away easily, eliminating the need to trim the applique by hand. Of course, you can still cut it if you like.

When finished, just apply heat with a small iron and it fuses to the base fabric without the addition of typical applique fusibles like Misty Fuse, Wonder Under or Steam-A-Seam.

Using Glitter Flex Vinyl adds another dimension to applique. Give it a try, I think you will love it!

Debbie SewBlest

Comments (5) -

ladyblack6940 4/20/2015 12:49:34 PM

where can i buy this item

Where can Glitter Flex be purchased?

Where can I buy this type glitter vinyl? I would love to do something with that for a granddaughter!

I found this place and the price seems to be reasonable. http://www.sewinspiredbybonnie.com/

That is the correct link, Pat. She has quality vinyl and MANY different colors. She tested several versions. Very good vendor!