The Avid Embroiderer Presents: Nailed It!!!

I guess that I just have DIY in my DNA or something, but I love to try new things.  When the melted crayon pictures started showing up on the net, I was so excited.  It looked so easy. . .

Well my friends, this one has more twists and turns that a Twister Game.  First, it is not as easy as it looks (that is a given).  After so many attempts and instructions from the Net, I was not able to create one of my own.  That should not stop me from completing a great facsimile.

The steps include a heating gun that I and likely, you, don't own.  These are truly heat guns and quite unlike a hair dryer.  The heat gun gently blows air whereas, even on the lowest settings, the dryer blows an entirely too strong wind.   I would say that an artist might use that sort of gun for work that they have in progress so that makes sense for them. 

This one is available at Amazon.  I do recall people telling me that heat guns are temper mental, probably because they might just over heat.

The next thing that they politely don't mention is that the underlying fabric/paper/canvas needs to be of a limited absorption potential.  Canvas is truly a great medium for crayon dripping because it has texture to add to the waxed  liquid but does not absorb it so much that the color/texture is soaked into the canvas.

The other piece of information is that you need a LOT OF CRAYONS.  I counted 57 crayons on the top photo, and you will need a minimum of twice that number.  For a shorter area, you need double the same color.  Since I did not manage to create this design, I can only assume double is the number.  If the crayon is doing a long distance, it could be triple. 

I laid mine out and glued it to the paper (paper is not a good background for this).  I use an iron just atop the paper on the crayon.  I thought I figured it out, but the next thing I know, the crayon slipped out of the wrapper.  Laughing at my obvious error, I figured that removal of the paper was the best idea that escaped me.

Down toward the ending drip, I suspect someone placed some ice chips to create new texture.  But I never got that far.

After all the wax has set up, place new glue on the board and set the accurate colors to match the streaks.  In the photo, it shows the word "Crayon" on top, I think I would place the color name on top instead.

During my research, I found so many cool things.  Perhaps you will enjoy doing something like these.

I used the 'up-side-downers' to create a little girls wall hanging (or in a scrapbook) and designed this. Since I am still unable to develop the crayon area, I decided I will be making a photo of the crayon and doing the embroidery on a cotton with a cut-away stabilizer.  When the embroidery is done, I am going to cut the designs and glue them to the photograph.  It is cheating, but essentially, I will have gotten the look I want.

Tip  - Did you need to make a brick stick to cement?  What about two very  dissimilar surfaces?  Well, your issues are now easy to handle.  (I don't get any funds for this) Check out: https://www.gorillaglue.com/

They have a lot of comments regarding DIY uses.  One even said that they use White Gorilla Glue rather than hot glue.  Frankly, I have never gotten the hang of that hot glue gun, so this is good news for me.  I have used the glue for years but did not know how many products they make.  They even have self-standing bags! 

If truth be told awesome!

Comments (3) -

Two years ago I made a handbag/purse for my sister using fabric that I turned into peacock feathers painted with crayons. She posted a video when she received it which is posted on my FB page but I do not know how to take it from there to post here otherwise I would share. It took me four weeks to make the handbag, on one side the three dimensional peacock stands out from the bag. Using the crayons, which I melted and painted onto fabric cut into feather shapes gave it so much texture. The opposite side is more crazy quilt with trim tail feather on a peacock hanging below the bag. Melted crayons are a perfect medium to compliment your embroidery work and can be used to create fabric that you cannot find. I hand drew the head and main body of the peacock using the crayons prior to making the tail feathers. The more you play with melted crayons added to quilts, purses and hats the more you will love it! If I can help you in anyway please let me know.  I will try sharing the video here, hope it works. Enjoy!                                                                                                                                                                                                                     <div id="fb-root"></div> <script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script><div class="fb-post" data-href="www.facebook.com/video.php; data-width="466"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><a href="www.facebook.com/video.php;>Post</a> by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/lynnann.kudebeh";>LynnAnn Kudebeh</a>.</div></div>

pat71896 2/14/2015 3:20:48 PM

Pdudley, I am so inspired by your comment.  I had not thought about it but it makes sense to use as much creativity as possible.  I believe that creativity is never used up, rather it generates more ability to think outside the box.  (there is that darned box again. . . )

Note:  The first two are the same video and the third link seems, at this time, to be broken.  However, you won't believe this purse.  Check it out.  Among other beautiful things about this purse, is that it is nearly reversible.  (Perhaps it is by design, that is unclear.)  As I looked at the reverse, it was lovely as well and more simple.  I thought to myself - 'self, what a fun purse, when you look into it, it is delightfully surprising.'  Maybe we are concentrating on the wrong side of the purse. . .

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

Thank you Pat. This was my first attempt at using crayons to create fabric items. Like you I too try to think outside that box whether it be a crayon box or any type.