Great Gifts for Mom

Mother's Day is just around the corner. Don't panic if don't have any good ideas. Here are some [More]

All Water-Soluble isn't Made Equal

All Water-Soluble Stabilizers are Not Created Equal   That’s right – there are three main varieties: Lightweight (about 20 microns) – used for topping on lightly textured fabrics Mid-weight (about 35 microns) – used a topping on more deeply textured or plush fabrics,... [More]

Decorative Crazy Patch Embroidery Stitches

Embroidery machines revolutionized hand stitching. What once took days or weeks to prepare now varies from minutes to hours. Embroidery designs aren't the only things you can stitch out. Some of the easiest embellishments are made with decorative stitches. Regardless of your embroidery mac... [More]

Monograms Made Easy

Monograms are the oldest form of identification in the world, dating back to Greek and Roman times. First used as a form of currency in the barter system, monograms served many roles from indicating social status to serving as a signature for royals and artists. Perhaps most obvious, they identifie... [More]

The Skinny on Small Lettering

Working with small letters can be frustrating. Chances are that you think your small lettering looks distorted, bunchy or just plain amateurish. The truth is, is probably not your fault. That’s right. Your good technique can only go as far as the data allows. In other words, if the fon... [More]

Keeping It Simple Storage Cubes Big and Little - Part 3

Tired of boxes yet?  I'm not.  I am hooked for sure.  This one is VERY simple. I made a bunch of these little ones in no time at all. Some for me and some for the girls schoolroom.  But this is the last one,  Here is my smallest storage cube: What you need: One 15&qu... [More]

Tips for Getting Inspired

It's the time of year when it's easy to get in a creative rut. Winter is almost over. Spring is almost here. You are tired of being inside, maybe even tired of sewing the same old stuff. There are many ways to get inspiration, most of which, can be done from the comfort of home at little or ... [More]

Keeping It Simple Storage Cubes Big and Little - Part 2

This sewing room organization may take all year at the rate I am going.  It's a great idea to give everything a "home" but I had no idea that I has so much stuff.  Anyway I said I would do a tutorial on different ways to make those little fabric cubes. I have to warn you that... [More]

Keeping It Simple - Storage Cubes Big and Little - Part 1

Organize, organize and organize some more.  I decided to give my sewing room a makeover of sorts.  The goal however, is to repurpose as many items as possible without spending much money.  Well, this could take all year -that is how bad my room is.  But as it comes along I will s... [More]

New Quick Font Lettering Eliminates Guesswork

Ever want to add a line or two of text to a project but didn't because it's just too much of a pain? Don't want to invest in alphabet libraries? Hate lining up letters? Tired of stitching fonts that don't turn out regardless of how well they are stabilized? Afraid to install (and lea... [More]

Embroidery Advisor Presents: Unique Sports Applique Alphabets

Sporting events have been around for a long time and as a parent you are more than likely going to be attending some of these events as your children are growing up.  Whether they win or lose the most important thing is how you look at these sporting functions.  To help you look as sh... [More]

It All Comes Down to Color

Color plays such an important role in our lives from what we wear to the vehicles we drive. As embroiderers, we have artistic license to experiment with color. The possibilities are virtually endless when you mix fabric and thread combinations. I'm using the same design in several different way... [More]

Best Stabilizer for Stretchy Performance Knits? It’s in the Bedroom!

I just want to pass on the latest trend in stabilizers that is actually a blast from the past! The new thin and stretchy performance knits with brand names like Under Armor and DriWick have given commercial embroiderers fits. After trying all available sources, they have turned to an “old sc... [More]

In-the-hoop Cookies

The girls love to play with the kitchen that their dad made for them.  Their play kitchen isn't [More]

Ann's Sweetest Heart Collection: Perfect for Your Sweetheart

Ann's Sweetest Heart Collection makes it fun and easy to create a variety of special valentines you can't find in any big box store. And, for a limited time, purchase the small, large, or full collections, and get a Valentines Sayings pack absolutely FREE. Intricate, yet delicate, the des... [More]

Get Organized and Save Money Doing It!

It's just a number on a calendar, but the new year usually brings with it a desire to regroup and reorganize. Tired of looking for designs you know you have but can't locate? It just isn't any fun anymore. With the sheer number of embroidery designs amassed, the task of organizing them... [More]

Finish it Like a Pro - Trimming Tips

Have you ever wondered whether it matters if you first trim the top or the bottom of your machine embroidery work? It’s best to trim the top first, so that when you trim the back, you can gently pull on the bobbin tails to secure the trimmed thread end inside the fabric for a neater appearanc... [More]
Pumpkin Applique Towel - Both Sides!

Pumpkin Applique Towel - Both Sides!

It's pumpkin time! This adorable towel has an applique pumpkin on both sides. It's a lot easier to make than you think and you can use it right up to Thanksgiving!

This Pumpkin Applique by Grand Slam Designs is perfect for this project. The applique technique is the same as traditional methods. The only difference is that when you tack down fabric on one side, you do it on the other side too. Likewise, when you trim fabric on the front side, you trim it on the back as well. 

Baste the towel onto hooped water-soluble fabric-type stabilizer. Run the first color stop, the placement stitches for the stem.

Take the hoop off of your machine and add fabric over the stem on the front and back of the hoop.

Put the hoop back on the machine and run the next color stop, the tack-down for the stem.

Remove the hoop and trim away fabric close to the tack-down stitches on the front

and back.

Put the hoop back on the machine and run the next color stop, placement lines for the pumpkin. This design is nice in that the pumpkin is tacked down all at once and not individually for each of the pumpkin’s ridges. That means one tack and trim instead of five.

Trim the pumpkin fabric, front and back, and finish the embroidery. Remove excess stabilizer and enjoy!

Debbie SewBlest

Comments (2) -

Sewblessed - This is such a great tip! I never thought to use both sides of a towel, but it makes sense and so simple to do, just add another piece of fabric on the backside.

I really like the fact that the pieces of fabric are not tight against the fabric. I think it adds dimension to the project.

BTW - If you did not see the "Deal of the Day", here is the link.

https://www.annthegran.com/dealoftheday.aspx

I always check on the deal because something I really want/need is going to be there soon. Meaningfully saving money is great!