Keeping It Simple - Strap Covers and Handle Wraps

Well, it's August and the "Dog Days of Summer" have finally arrived here.  That means it is hot, hot, hot and when the temps get up around 100 degrees it is time to let the garden go and sew.  I am done putting up corn, beans, berries and peaches.  I do not wish to see another pickling cucumber.  So for the next few weeks I have decided to do a series of Keeping It Simple Projects (yes, I do realize that I rarely do any other kind).  These are quick and easy things that you can keep or give away as gifts.  Great stocking stuffers.  Nothing hard, just relaxing, easy ways to enjoy your embroidery craft and keep cool until fall arrives.  That being said, here is the first for the month of August.

My daughter saw a picture online somewhere and asked me if we could make a personalized strap cover for our cameras.   Here are the ones for my camera and case.

Strap 1Strap 2

Everywhere I go people ask where I got it.  So, I have made them for a number of friends.  Since not everyone has cameras and cases with straps we began making bright, embroidered luggage handle wraps (see picture below).  These make it really easy to identify your suitcase on the belt at the airport.  Great for laptop cases and even that school lunchbox that is sure to look just like several others on the shelf.

First the Strap covers:

What you'll need:

• Two pieces of nice cotton fabric 22" X 6" (this will fit most straps but be sure to check yours in case it is wider or narrower and adjust)
  • Coordinating thread
  • Embroidery design, alphabet or lettering software of your choice (not larger than 2" high)
  • Tear-away stabilizer
  • Embroidery thread

What to do:

1. Finger press your front fabric piece lengthwise.  Then fold and finger press lengthwise again to get the center front horizontal.  Fold and finger press widthwise to find the front center. 
  2. Hoop the fabric and stabilizer using the folds as your guide.
  3. Embroider your design or text.
  4. Remove from the hoop and remove the stabilizer.
  5. Use ½" seams.  With right sides together sew the front and back of the strap around 3 sides, leaving one short end open for turning.
  6. Turn right side out. (Have you tried the Fasturn tools? I use mine all the time.) Press.
  7. Fold the raw end to the inside ½"and press.  Topstitch both short ends ¼" from edge.
  8. Fold the piece in half lengthwise insides together, making sure your embroidery is on the outside.  Press.
  9. Topstitch the long end creating a tube. 

That's it.

Tip:  If you are giving this to someone who has not seen yours or asked about one you might add a tag that says what it is.  Although their eyes light up when they figure out what it is I have really stumped a few people with this gift.

Note:  If you want the strap cover to be padded just add some thin batting inside when you sew. Place the batting on top of the wrong side of the fabric sandwich.

Now for the luggage handle wrap.

What you need:

• Two pieces of nice cotton fabric 6" X 6".  Leftovers work great.  Again measure your handle to be sure and adjust if necessary.  If you want to hoop the fabric you may need to cut it larger and then re-cut after completing the embroidery.
  • Coordinating thread
  • Embroidery design, alphabet or lettering software of your choice (not larger than 1.5" high)
  • Tear-away stabilizer
  • Temporary adhesive spray if not hooping the fabric
  • Embroidery thread
  • Velcro strip (both male and female) about 5" long

What to do:

1. Fold the fabric in half vertically and finger press.  Then fold and finger press horizontally to find the center. 
  2. Hoop stabilizer and spray with a little adhesive. Align the fabric using the folds as your guide.
  3. Embroider your design or text.
  4. Remove from the hoop and remove the stabilizer.
  5. Use ½" seams.  With right sides together sew the front and back of the wrap all the way around, leaving an open for turning.
  6. Turn right side out.  Trim the corners. Press.
  7. Fold the raw end to the inside ½"and press.  Topstitch all the way around ¼" from edge. Press.
  8. Align one side of the Velcro across the front bottom of the square and sew in place.  Align the other piece of Velcro across the back top and sew in place.

FabricFold Fabric

Wrap around the handle and you will always know which suitcase is yours when you travel.

Handle

This one was really made for my granddaughter's lunchbox but since I do not have it I put it on my laptop case for the picture.

Click here to download the Star wrap design.

Now if it is too hot to even venture out in the backyard where you are, just stay in where it is cool, relax and use up some of that stash making gifts for yourself or others.  It is a cool way to get through these last "Dog Days of Summer".  

Take care,

DB

Comments (15) -

Great ideas!  Thanks!

carolynuptonmiler 8/8/2009 8:19:58 AM

These are great. Where do you get the camera end connectors? I have seen these on line also and would like to make some for gifts. Thanks Carolyn cuptonmillrlpn@yahoo.com

rosebudandbuddy 8/8/2009 8:55:30 AM

Love the concept.   Since most of the luggage is black.

cjsebastian 8/8/2009 9:04:13 AM

Thanks for the great practical gift ideas!  They are wonderful!

Love it !!!

love it!!!

Wonderful idea - thank you!  And thank you for the pretty star pattern!

wonderful idea thank you

What neat ideas, thank you!

Hi Neat idea. Hey thats me Ho Ho.

Another great idea ~ thank you so much for sharing! I also appreciate the star design you've included!!!

Thanks for such a cute idea!  I'm starting on my Christmas gifts and all of my kids fly frequently or they have computer bags which could use a good handle cover!  Such a good way to help identify your luggage in a busy airport!

windyhillquilting 8/10/2009 8:55:22 AM

These would also be fantastic for bookbag straps, since some of the bags are nearly impossible to hoop.  I would suggest sewing them on, however, instead of the Velcro - that way they won't "walk away"!!

Thanks for the great ideas!!

I made the cover for my SLR camera and it fitted really well over the manufacturers label strap.  Now I will make some for other friends.

great

Great ideas! Going straight to my fabric scraps to start this project. Thanks for the cute pattern.