Five Tips From the Cookies For Santa Mat DIME Cover Project

I'll show you five tips from my DIME cover project that will come in handy!

It is hard to believe it has been one year since my Cookies for Santa project was published in Designs in Machine Embroidery Magazine. You could sew a mat of your own or purchase an already made placemat.

The applique Santa Claus from Jump Rope Designs, and Tinker Toy font are perfect. I'll give you five tips that will make your project even better.

1. Use textured fabrics.

Try using wool felt for the hat, a Minky for the hat brim and ball, and a wooly fabric for the beard. They add interest and dimension to an already adorable applique design.

2. Don't forget about your scraps.

Even small scraps can be used in applique projects. Specialty fabrics like wool felt and Minky can be a bit pricey, so keep scraps handy. Some people keep their scraps separated by color, others by type. Do whatever works for you. Store them in a plastic zip bag, tote, or decorative box.

3. Use a topper on dimensional fabrics.

Tape a piece (or even scrap pieces) of a topper, such as Sulky Solvy or AllStitch Stitch-n-Heat, over the beard fabric. It works well with Minky and some felts, too. That keeps the stitching from sinking into the nap of the fabric. With the fabric I used for the beard in my magazine project, the topper also kept the curls under control. It was a nightmare to work with because it made such a mess when it is cut, but it is perfect for projects such as this.

4. Leave the topper in place until the project is done.

When the beard fabric was tacked down and trimmed, I flipped the excess topper over the trimmed beard before stitching the satin stitches. It just added an extra layer of cover over the unruly curls and allowed for a neater satin stitched edge. I didn't tear off the topper until the entire project was finished. It protected the beard fabric from getting tangled in the presser foot when removing and replacing the hoop during embroidery.

AnnTheGran.com | Beautiful people make beautiful things

Skype and Catalog Xpress Tip #9, add Alphabet Xpress

If you have not yet tried Skype, you are missing one of the finest features the Internet has to offer. Most people know that you can call users worldwide if they have the correct equipment for free.  But did you know that: You can send files Send Instant Messages (IM) Create a conference... [More]

Winners in Creativity for African Folklore Embroidery

And The Winner is………   Over twenty thousand people viewed the African Folklore Embroidery entries at the International Quilt Show in Long Beach.  As many of my readers know I travel around the country lecturing and teaching African Folklore Embroidery. I am always a... [More]

Keeping It Simple - Spiders, Ruffles and Ghosts, Oh My!

Halloween is just around the corner and with so many costumes to make this year I decided two things: 1) They need to be fairly simple, and 2) I need to start earlier than I have in the past.  The two older girls each have a definite ideas of what they want to be.  But what ... [More]

Safety Information, Free Posters for your school and Catalog Xpress Tip #8, Printing Your Designs

We are all trying to be more ‘green' these days, but some things may remain in your home that you are uncertain about.  Green means more environmentally safe, but I use some items that I really cannot do without.   I want to know exactly what is in those products.  It m... [More]

Rise Above the Ordinary with Silk Flower Embroidery

It’s great to find a new embroidery effect, and it’s even better when it’s as easy as the silk flower technique. Jackie Woods of www.greatnotions.com introduced me to the concept, and I found it absolutely stunning.   Jackie u... [More]

Keeping It simple - Frosty the Minky Pink Snowman

One of our granddaughters loves Frosty the Snowman.  We sing the song daily - even when it is 100+ degrees here.  We read the book almost as often.  So I decided to create a Frosty sweatshirt for her even though winter isn't here yet.  When I asked her what color sweatshirt s... [More]

Spooktacular Halloween Projects

I really enjoyed locking myself into my sewing room and creating these Halloween projects.  I think the color combinations of Halloween must be very pleasing to me, so I tend to collect lots of designs and fabrics for that holiday.  It was easy to dip into my stash of designs and work up a... [More]

Back to School, TGIBTS

[View:/cs/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Blogs.Components.WeblogFiles/avid-embroiderer.Back+2+School+2010/A-Haunted-Moon.zip]It may be true that in the spring, a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love.  However, it is autumn that has a parental dance called, Thank Goodness... [More]

Hooping from the Inside Out

Bag from www.embroiderthis.com Have you ever tried to embroider something and thought you would have to crawl inside it to hoop it?  Well, sometimes that is exactly what we have to do! Many items that have small openings are challlenging, but they can indeed be embroidered with a l... [More]

Keeping It Simple - Tags All in the Hoop

I went to have lunch with my granddaughter this week.  It was fun but one thing that amazed me was how many lunch boxes looked just alike.  And they were all jumbled together in huge tubs so it took the kids some time to find the one that belonged to them.  So, this week we made In-th... [More]

FREE: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote on Sky Drive and Catalog Xpress Tip #6 Multiple Sorting

It seems like it was very recent when we were learning computers, the Internet and cell phones.  I am on my sixth computer and I cannot remember how many cell phones I have had.  Change is inevitable; stand still and you will be run over.  Sky Drive, a program by Microsoft, is one o... [More]

Fancy Jumbles Diaper Changing Pad

Individual characters (letters, numbers and punctuation marks) from my alphabets canbe found on my Stock Design Page.  My designs are also available in packs, as described inthis blog.  Those can be found here.  For designs and packs available in multiple size... [More]

Keeping It Simple Embroidered Magnet Mania

Kids love to display their art on the fridge.  Adults too seem to stick up lists, reminders and notices where they can be easily accessed..  So, many marketers send information to us printed on these soft magnets in hopes that we will put them in this often viewed place in our homes.  ... [More]

Freebies, Dead Links and a Puzzle, and Catalog Xpress Tip #5, Recoloring and Backgrounds

If you have been online more than 1 week, you probably have a lot of "Favorites" or "Bookmarks" that you have accumulated.  I am a collector of links.  If I think I may be interested in something, but don't have the time at the moment and I create a Favorite. Beca... [More]

Keeping It Simple - Big Kid Hooded Towels

The girls are growing fast.  They love their baby towels with the hoods but are outgrowing them now.  When they complained about being cold after their bath the other night mom and I decided to make them larger "big girl" hooded towels for Christmas.  Then we remembered that... [More]

Free Artwork Software and Catalog Xpress, Tip #4, Conversions.

Drawing and designing is usually limited to those who have talent, I am not included in that group.  However, I did find a method of creating interesting designs that is fun and amusing for me.  I hope you like it too. Livebrush, is a fun way to create some interesting effects.  If y... [More]

Summer is super busy with African Folklore Embroidery

It was such an honor being invited by the South African consulate to exhibit my art-quilt, BEADED AFRICAN VILLAGE, for the hosting of the final game of the world cup soccer.  I got to meet and spent time with the delightful Vice Consul general as well as other African consulate members who were... [More]

Keeping It Simple - Sewing for Sunday

It has been a busy couple of weeks.  Our youngest has a baby girl now overdue.  But for several weeks she was put on bed rest - mostly due to extreme swelling.  So the rest of the family shared taking care of the other two (five years and two years old).  We kept them at our hous... [More]

Free Taskbar Calendar and Catalog Xpress Tip #3, Resize

This is absolutely my favorite computer clock and it includes a calendar!!!  I am not happy with a calendar that is on my desktop because it seems like it is always in the way.  In the Taskbar (lower right hand corner of most screens) is perfect because it shows me the day of the week, dat... [More]

Wedding Handkerchiefs - Stitch Out and Touch Someone

It's summer and wedding season is in full swing! I still get lots of requests to make keepsake wedding handkerchiefs. These are very personal and are the very best gift for the bride or groom to give to the special people in their life on the special day. Many people like to give them at th... [More]

South Africa, soccer, art and culture.... African Folklore Embroidery Exhibition and Competitions

In the next few weeks’ world attention will be focused on South Africa as a million visitors arrive for the FIFA 2010 world cup soccer. Not since the release of Nelson Mandela in February 1990 has so much attention been given to this country of forty-eight million people at the southern tip of... [More]

Keeping It Simple- Lampshade Makeovers

Our oldest grandaughter is getting a new room.  This has been in process for some time since her parents are updating their house at the same time.  So new trim, new doors and flooring were needed as well as paint and décor.  Papa will paint the trim next week end and... [More]

Comments (3) -

These tips are excellent and you are right, they are great for ANY project.

Seeing your project on the cover of DIME feels so cool!! I know someone who made the cover of a major crafting magazine. (I also knew a Playboy of the Month and another person who was quoted in The Enquire. Talk about being in the IN Crowd!) LOL

And, I so agree with you on all these tips, especially using textured fabrics. May I add that if your textured fabric interferes with lettering or the design, trim the fabric at an angle away from the stitches.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer
Stop by and see one of my best blogs - http://bit.ly/ooops9

Incidentally, I believe that repetition for Newbies as well as Seasoned Embroiderers never hurts anyone! When a professional (fill in the blank) is having a bad day, the best thing is to 'go back to basics' to recoup their alignment to their passion.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

rajeshwaricre8ive 11/19/2019 7:17:01 AM

GREAT ART WORK