Valentines in the Hoop

With so many food restrictions and allergies, perhaps the best Valentine treat is one you make on the embroidery machine. This one is stitched from an applique design that is freestanding – finished edges with no stabilizer showing – using a water-soluble or heat-away stabilizer (Sulky or Stitch-n-Heat).

Hoop two layers of stabilizer. Because it will show on both sides, load the same thread in the bobbin as that with which you are stitching. Load your applique design. The best designs to use are those with satin-stitched edges. Run the placement stitch.

Apply temporary adhesive spray or lapel stick to the back of the fabric and center it over the placement stitches. I added a piece of felt to the back to make it pretty too.

Return the hoop to the machine and stitch the tack-down (left). Place the middle fabric over the center heart and run the tack-down sequence for it (right).

Using applique scissors, trim the tack-down stitches close to the stitch line.

Be sure to trim the fabric on the back as well.

Put the hoop back on the machine and stitch the finishing satin stitches.

Take everything out of the hoop and carefully tear away the stabilizer for perfect, clean edges!

Debbie SewBlest

Comments (1) -

dachsiesnquilts 1/21/2017 6:40:41 PM

I really like this heart...I did not find a link to this heart or it for purchase at the site?