Calling All Experts! - Help Us Expand the Magic Bookshelf

Everyone is an expert at something. This is something I have always believed, and continue to believe. Sometimes that expertise extends to a broad subject, like embroidery or cars or lawn bowling, and sometimes it's very specific, like telling "Knock-knock" jokes, or knowing how ... [More]

June From Brother - One other thing...

Not sure where someone got the idea that we are already making an upgrade for the new Quattro....not true!  Trust me, I would know.....I still reeling from what it took to get this one done.  Nite all!

June From Brother - This and That

Well ladies, there certainiy has been lots of discussion about what to pay for a machine.  I have to say once Brother sells the product to the dealer, it is up to the dealer to set a reasonable price. They do that based on many things.  The most important thing for all of you to remember w... [More]

The Thrill of Digitry and the Agony of the Foot

It seems like I’ve been away for a long time, even though it’s only been a couple of weeks since I’ve written. So, so much has happened. First of all, July-August is our family’s big birthday season. We have a couple of stragglers, the twins in October and t... [More]

Gizmos, Squissors, And Feed Dogs

You had all better put on a pot of coffee and grab a couple of danish for this folks!It is going to be a long one this time, I have so much to share with you! First I would like to start with a brief history lesson. Did you know that the first commercially successful sewing machine was bui... [More]

New Dream Machine From Brother

Hello! I am new to blogging, but there is no better time than now to jump online to tell you about the new machine that we at Brother have just introduced! If you haven’t already heard, our new top-of-the-line 'dream machine' was released a few weeks ago and it is truly a machi... [More]

LaRueSews - Quilting - BASIC TOOLS

Before I start to tell you about tools, I want you to know that I have been working on quilt projects that have been stacking up on me for years. The one I have done the most on is a quilt that goes back at least ten years. It is a scrap quilt that was a Guild project. It left me with ten blocks tha... [More]

Crash Course Cathy - WHERE in the WORLD are you?

WHERE in the WORLD are you ME’ers ( Machine Embroiderers(???!!!) FINALLY……….Here’s your opportunity to share WHERE YOU LIVE with AnntheGran’s Community!!!! It will be SO MUCH FUN to see where you ARE!!!! I hope you will SHARE!!!!! Those of you who have ... [More]

Safari in Africa

Hi, my name is Leora Raikin, and my company is African Folklore Embroidery. I am so excited to be a new blogger on the ATG website. I have just returned from four weeks in South Africa,(incredible!). In this blog I will be sharing with you a little about my experieince there, my connection to S... [More]

Time For Kangaroos And Pop-Up Baskets?

Hello Everyone! Now that you have some of the basic things down pat (right?), we can move along to some other things, like the fun stuff with ME and sewing! This selection will include a simple project I think everyone will not only enjoy doing, but giving as a gift as well. Fir... [More]

LaRuesews- Rotary cutter, freezer paper and quilt shops

Well Quilters and ME’s, it’s time again for me to give you a few words of wisdom on the subject of quilting. Thanks to everyone who read and commented on my last blog. That gave me ideas of things to talk to you about this time. Pat asked me in one of her comments to talk more about free... [More]

Embroidered Pillowcases with Fancy Jumbles

Individual characters (letters, numbers and punctuation marks) from my alphabets can be found on my Stock Design Page.  My designs are also available in packs, as described in this blog.  Those can be found here.  For designs and packs available in multiple si... [More]

Fay, Fay, go away!

and take your wind and rain with you! Although we havent had any flooding as some of our Central Florida Embroiderers have suffered, or gale force winds, the constant rain and wind for 5 days has my brain jumbled and I'm ready to tear my hair out. But, as far as I know, all of us embroiderers he... [More]

Test Blog

Test Blog https://www.annthegran.com/cs/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Blogs.Components.WeblogFiles/larue-sews/Avatar.bmp Well, Quilters and ME’s, it’s time again for me to give you a few words of wisdom on the subject of quilting.  Thanks to everyone who read and c... [More]

The Floor Beneath the Magic Bookshelf - Ground Rules for our Community

Maybe it's because I'm a man, but when something is new, I just want to dive right into it and try it out. Forget the instructions, just let me rip open the package and figure out how to make it work. I guess old habits die hard, as it never occurred to me when we were preparing to lau... [More]

International Love of Cross Stitch and Hints for Perfect Stitching Result!

Why Cross Stitch? With the Olympics going on in China, it seems that some of the members of the Chinese teams share our love of this wonderful craft. Please go to the following webpage to see a fascinating article about how internationally loved, Cross Stitch can be! See Article…  ... [More]

Oh, Brother, are my brown eyes green!

Let me preface this by saying that I absolutely LOVE my Brother machines, especially my Innov-is 4000D. I purchased the 4000D several years ago with the intent that this was to be my last and greatest machine. I have been happily sewing and embroidering with it ever since... [More]

Redwork - A Super-Simple Beginner's Project

Directions start @ paragraph 9 - Just a  hint to save you some time if you want to go to the project directly. (Chatty Cathy is going strong 1-8)   HH  (Hello Hello) Fellow M’Eers,   I hope all is going well for you and that your MEing is going great! I h... [More]

Olympic Rings, Cartoons, Questions and Paris!

8/08/08 is a date that comes up only once in every century and it’s upon us as I write.  This time the date is even more special because it’s the date on which the Summer Olympics begins. I LOVE the Olympics, both Winter and Summer, and I’m so glad they they’ve s... [More]

LaRueSews - Things to Consider Before You Begin Quilting

Right from the beginning, I need to let all of you know that I am not a quilt/quilting expert. This blog developed because I spoke with the folks at AnnTheGran about something else and out came the idea of my writing a blog. I ask you all to take or leave what I have to say about quilting and then f... [More]

Shopping Up A Storm

HH all my fellow ME’ers….I’ve been SHOPPING up a storm!!!!!…. Actually it started right there in Orlando at Ann’s Community Circle the day BEFORE I won the machine last April… and it sort of hasn’t stopped….but I THINK, finally, I am getting reall... [More]

Hello All You Happy Stitchers !

Hopefully some of you already know who I am from popping in and out of the forums and blogs. For those of you that don't, this will introduce us to each other. Many of you have asked me how I first got started, not only with ME, but sewing in general. So, here it is! You can blame my Grandmother... [More]

. . . and a good time was had by all!

I’m not going to dwell on the fabulous lunch that we Central Florida machine embroiderers enjoyed a week and a half ago. Well, I MAY dwell on it, because it WAS fabulous. First of all, there were 24 of us, including four husbands, two of whom are into machine embroidery. You can find lots of p... [More]

Welcome to the AnnTheGran Community!

Welcome to the AnnTheGran Community! Many people know AnnTheGran.com for free embroidery designs, and that's great, but now the site offers so much more. If you've just been using my site to get free designs, you've been missing out! If you have a question about anything related to you... [More]

An Addiction to Embroidered Greeting Cards

Can you believe that July is almost over?  We have the strangest weather here this year.   One day it’s about 100 degrees and the next it barely gets into the 70s.  The month has breezed by filled with gardening (my tomato plants are all dying and I don’t know why), g... [More]
Back to School, TGIBTS

Back to School, TGIBTS

[View:/cs/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Blogs.Components.WeblogFiles/avid-embroiderer.Back+2+School+2010/A-Haunted-Moon.zip]It may be true that in the spring, a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love.  However, it is autumn that has a parental dance called, Thank Goodness it is Back to School.

There are a number of reasons for this happy foxtrot.  For one thing, the kids actually have survived a summer of boredom and sleeping until noon.  The merchants are happy to sell you the latest fad, and football is about to be in full swing.  Let's make an apple pie! - - - or not.

Everyone thinks in terms of the children.  They need clothes, supplies, and hundreds of dollars in fees, books and activities.  Who thinks of the teachers?  They are the guardians of those minds.  They are the leader of the treks to the zoo.  They are the playground referees.  They should get something special for starting a new year of challenges.

I like to give the teacher, for his or her classroom, a positive, embroidered statement.  In the past I have done:

• Cross your eyes and dot your t's
  • As long as there are tests, there will be prayer in school
  • Completely under control - more or less!
  • Kid-tested parent-approved  #1 teacher 

I am going to make this one with a piece of scrap.  I do want to frame it, and an 8" by 10" frame is just fine, I don't need something expensive.

A week or so ago, I ran out of my favorite adhesive stabilizer.  It is Ann's Water Soluble Adhesive Stabilizer.   I stopped at  my favorite local embroidery store and picked up a well known brand of Water Soluble Stabilizer.  What a shock!  It left an awful, slimy mess that clung to the fabric.  I left it over night, still I had this gooey mess.  If you want to know the name, my email is in my profile.  ATG encourages me NOT to specifically single out a competitors product and say it is bad.  However, IMHO, this stuff is really bad!  I have my ATG stabilizer on order now!!  Their price - $38.00, ATG's price - $19.99 (with Club Membership or $39.99 without the membership). 

Anyway, I did not need adhesive or WS stabilizer for this one, I just had to let you know that some products are absolutely worth the price, and some are not. 

Next, I selected a design.  I want to be able to have this owned by a male or female teacher, including their aids, et al. 

Next, I wanted to get a new font, and one thing I have noticed is that some innovative digitizers are creating their letters in multiple sizes.  What a great thing for embroiderers.  We use the software that allows us to create different sizes, but sometimes we want something different.  Enter, small, innovative entrepreneurs. 

The font I selected is Maddison.  It has:

• 5 sizes, .75", 1", 1.25", 2" and 3" 
  • Upper and lower cases
  • Numbers
  • !, ? . , -  (It does need a '/')

I want to use a positive statement - I think they are very important in the classroom.  So, here is my selection:

Teachers Measure UP!

The "Teachers Measure" was done in the .75" and the UP done in 1.5."  Since the work was already done for me, it was fast and easy.

I love embroidery, and hope you are inspired to do something for a teacher.  It does not have to be a holiday or the beginning or ending of the school year to give them something they can keep in their classrooms.  Surprise them at an odd time.  I love these sorts of surprises, don't you?

I do have a freebie for you this time, and you are going to love it!!!  It does not include the lettering, but I thought it was a great appliique. 

I can see this on a Trick or Treat Bag or a sign on your door to welcome all the little friends.

Here are a few of the ‘funny lines' I have collected over the years:

• My blackberry made me do it.
  • Don't hate me because I know how to spell  (or) punctuate  (or) do math
  • I'm confused (next line) wait - - (next line) maybe I'm not
  • I luv my stewdunts
  • I don't have A.D.D., you're boring
  • OK if I have my blackberry gets back to you on that?
  • I souport publik edekason
  • I haite speling tessts
  • Graduate of Crazy Al's Teaching College
  • Reading is where imagination begins!
  • Who told you teachers were fond of apples? (we prefer cash instead).
  • Attitudes adjusted while you wait
  • I failed science last year because I didn't know Pluto was a planet, this year I would have passed.
  • I don't believe in miracles, I depend on them.
  • Your public education tax dollars at work.
  • Completely under control - more or less!
  • Whoever said there was no such things as a stupid question never taught 7th grade.
  • Happens in preschool stays in preschool.
  • Save Pluto textbooks are expensive.
  • I haven't failed I've just deferred success.
  • Kid-tested parent-approved  #1 teacher
  • Teacher believe - children achieve
  • Save the Planet, it's the only place with chocolate.
  • Teachers measure up
  • Instant teacher just add coffee
  • Size does matter, just ask Pluto
  • Its OK Pluto, I am not a planet either.
  • Pluto, the tribe has spoken.
  • Teachers make other professions possible
  • Librarian, the original search engine
  • I am a librarian; don't make me shush your ass.
  • Wit: a smart person's weapon against ignorance (next line) Librarian: a person fighting ignorance (next line) Witty librarian, a smart ass
  • What happens in the library, stays in the library.
  • Librarians are masters of the world don't piss one off.
  • When is recess?
  • You can't scare me, I am a teacher
  • 4/3 people have problems with fractions.

Comments (4) -

bobbieann09 9/4/2010 11:56:42 AM

Thanks for the sayings and your embroidery/article are great!

Bobbie T.

jennileedigistitches 9/4/2010 3:47:57 PM

I love the idea for the teacher gifts! I am definitelyy going to have to use one of the quotes you mentioned. I love this one: As long as there are tests, there will be prayer in school. ;)

You are absolutley right about stabilizers! Not all are created equal. I'd rather pay top dollar for quality then to suffer with low quality anything. ;)

Hugs,

Jennilee

www.DigiStitches.com

susanitaq8 9/4/2010 6:20:26 PM

thanks for the sayings and the idea,i like the teacher design is it available in ATG website?

Cheers,

Susana

Hi all!  I don't remember where I got that particular design (like most of my designs)!

However, if you check this link:  http://www.annthegran.com/Search.aspx?q=school">www.annthegran.com/Search.aspx  You will find more designs than you can use!

I like to also remind others that we all bought outfits when they were 5 days old that they never could wear out.  Now is the time, if it is possible, to find an outfit for a grandchild.  It can absolutely make you feel wonderful!

Hope you like the freebie.  I think it is terrific!  The sayings still make me chuckle.  

Pat