August 6, 2010
Not rated yet
The girls are growing fast. They love their baby towels with the hoods but are outgrowing them now. When they complained about being cold after their bath the other night mom and I decided to make them larger "big girl" hooded towels for Christmas. Then we remembered that Noah had a birthday coming and mom decided she wanted to make one for him. With it too hot to go out we started these the very next day. Here is the first one for Noah.
These are so easy to make and we think the kids will love them.
What you need:
1 bath towel
1 hand towel
embroidery design or lettering of yur choice
(We used this monkey applique without any fabric from Sew Many Designs.)
medium to heavy tear away stabilizer
wash away stabilizer
Here is what you do:
Wash and dry your towels before beginning .
1. Cut the hand towel in half widthwise.
2. Center the raw edge of the hand towel with the center of the long side of the towel. Pin slightly below the edge like this.
3. Flip the hand towel up. Sew a seam along the edge so the raw edge is enclosed.
4. With right sides together fold towel in half and sew the top edges of the hand towel together forming the hood. Note: If the finished edges are too thick for your machine you can cut it off, zig-zag the edges and then sew together.
5. Decide where you want your embroidery and mark the spot with a printed design template or other method of choice.
6. Hoop the tear away stabilizer. Spray around the inside edges with temporary adhesive. Center the design area on your towel and press down lightly. Carefully lift all to the machine area and secure the hoop on the machine. Make sure your towel cannot slide underneath and get caught in the embroidery but don't let it hang down if it is heavy.
7. Place the wash away stabilizer on top of the hooped area of the towel. (you can secure with a little temporary adhesive on the corners if you like.
8. Embroider the design. Remove the tear away stabilizer carefully. Remove most of the wash away stabilizer. Wash the towel or spritz to remove the rest.
Have fun making towels for the kids. These make great pool towels too if you walk to the pool like we do.