Winners in Creativity for African Folklore Embroidery

And The Winner is………

Over twenty thousand people viewed the African Folklore Embroidery entries at the International Quilt Show in Long Beach.  As many of my readers know I travel around the country lecturing and teaching African Folklore Embroidery. I am always amazed by the incredible work my students create and each year we have a competition where anyone who has worked on and completed an African Folklore Embroidery design can enter it to win a $500 cash prize. The rules are simple. You can stitch with any color or fiber and can make the completed design into anything from a bag, quilt, wall hanging, jacket, pillow, vest or tea cozy.

It was extremely difficult deciding on a winner as the entries were truly spectacular.

First place was awarded to Madeleine Reyes, who is a quilter and stitcher. Madeline was in a class I first taught in Palm Springs and she embroidered three pieces, the village ladies, basket and the paisley flower. She then incorporated all three pieces into a quilt, the fabric for which she found at home after searching everywhere for the “right” piece.  Madeline then hand-beaded tiny black beads all around the edges of the quilt. Viewer’s reaction to the quilt was incredible with many stunned by the beauty of the embroidery and the way in which it had been quilted.

Second Place winner was awarded to Judy Dymond for her PAISLEY flower entry. Judy’s intricate beadwork, color and stitching were magnificent. I first met Judy in a workshop I was teaching called a “ Day in South Africa, through African Folklore Embroidery.”

Carol- Cunningham-Hutte, received third place for her stunning embroidered Rose design, which included a buttoned border and delicate beadwork.

It was truly an honor to view such beautiful work, by such talented women.

For a special viewing of the entries you can click here.

Fall Specials

My favorite Fall Threads which are all hand dyed and variegated are:  Maple, 65, Autumn ,13, Harvest 64, Thatch 54, Flame and Forest, 54. All colors and fibers are available in pearl 8, pearl 5, stranded floss, rayon and silk. I encourage you to view all our threads at www.aflembroidery.com. You receive a FREE color card of your choice when you purchase 6 or more cards of threads. You will love using the African House of Embroidery threads that are light, wash and color fast.

Since the Holidays are coming up soon, all the Halloween as well as cupcake designs are less 20%. Be sure to take advantage of this offer till October 31st.  These 8 –inch designs are great take-along projects and can be completed in an afternoon. Kits include needle and threads so all you need to do is start stitching. Easy to follow instructions with how to do the chain stitch is included in the package.

Many of the entries will be featured in my new book, Beading, Embellishment and Appliqué the African Folklore Embroidery Way.

If you would like to receive our catalog , please email me your address.

To view all the entries and more African Folklore Embroidery pictures, you can become a FRIEND of African Folklore  Embroidery  on FACEBOOK.

A schedule of lectures and workshops in African Folklore Embroidery is posted on our website at www.aflembroidery.com. If you are in a guild and are interested in finding out more about scheduling a lecture or workshop, email Leora Raikin at info@aflembroidery.com