A New Bag – Finale

We are excited to have Eileen Roche, Editor of Designs in Machine Embroidery share this content with you, which was originally posted on Eileen’s Machine Embroidery Blog.   Here’s the windup on my new bag. After embroidering the corner accents and grommet designs on both ... [More]

Versatility!

We are excited to have Eileen Roche, Editor of Designs in Machine Embroidery share this content with you, which was originally posted on Eileen’s Machine Embroidery Blog.  By Sherry McCary Even though I have thousands of embroidery designs, there are several that are so vers... [More]

Follow Your Heart

Not long ago, Ann the Gran featured the Calligraphy Project Designer special and I knew I had to try it out. Elegant fonts, scrollwork, and plenty of elegant accents... I LOVE it! I was really surprised at all of the features, especially for the cost. It is a mini customizing program with capa... [More]

Monogram of the Month: A Reason to Celebrate!

We are excited to have Eileen Roche, Editor of Designs in Machine Embroidery share this content with you, which was originally posted on Eileen’s Machine Embroidery Blog. I was very excited when Eileen gave me the opportunity to write this month’s Monogram of the Month featu... [More]

Glitter Vinyl: Red, White and Sparkling

Next to Angelina fiber, glitter flex vinyl is becoming my new favorite applique embellishment. Bonnie Welsh from Sew Inspired by Bonnie introduced me to this new product and I can see so many uses for it. She did extensive testing with several similar products and chose Glitter Flex Ultra and Glitte... [More]

It doesn’t have to take a village…

We are excited to have Eileen Roche, Editor of Designs in Machine Embroidery share this content with you, which was originally posted on Eileen’s Machine Embroidery Blog. The entire community used to come together whenever the needle plate on an embroidery machine needed to be remov... [More]

Pattern Variations: Getting the Colors Just Right

Much about creating, whether it is sewing, quilting, embroidery, or any other artistic form, depends on having the ability to visualize the project in your head. I don't know about you, but it is getting harder and harder for me to do that every day. Sometimes, it is easy to bypass a pa... [More]

Embroidered Jigsaw Puzzles

Well, I'm back to embroidering for children again.  My newest thing is jigsaw puzzles.I embroider a picture on a piece of felt, then add another piece of felt under the stabilizerbefore stitching the outlines of puzzle pieces.  Then I use special cut work needl... [More]

Fusible Web

We are excited to have Eileen Roche, Editor of Designs in Machine Embroidery share this content with you, which was originally posted on Eileen’s Machine Embroidery Blog:   I have a love-hate relationship with fusible web. I like to add it to the wrong side of applique fabric... [More]

Threads vs. Backgrounds: Contrast or Blend?

Because they resemble hand quilting, redwork embroidery designs work great as a quilting motif. Finding the correct amount of contrast (or not) is the key to an embroidery project that pops. Using a fabric sample called Elm Creek Quilts: Sarah's Collection by Red Rooster, I want to sh... [More]

Cloth Coloring Book Project Instructions

Materials: •1 pkg. of blanket binding o 10 pieces of 14 x12 inch of white twill or canvas (size will vary due to your hoop size) o Black & white thread o Fabric chalk or marker o Straight pins o Scissors o Ruler o Washa... [More]

PMS Thread Colors

You may have had a friend or client ask you to stitch their company or school colors on apparel using PMS colors. Typically, the mere mention of PMS strikes fear in the hearts of many. Here, PMS refers to Pantone Matching System and how it helps with color consistency in embroidery thread. Panto... [More]

My #1 secret to successful machine embroidery applique

We are excited to have Eileen Roche, Editor of Designs in Machine Embroidery share this content with you, which was originally posted on Eileen’s Machine Embroidery Blog:   I’ll let you in on a little-known secret – I hate to remove the hoop during the embroidery pr... [More]

How To Hoop Onesies

I get lots of questions about embroidering onesies. I see lots of embroiderers floating them on self-adhesive stabilizers, but most projects will have better results if the onesie is hooped in a hoop with cut-away stabilizer. Watch this video to see how I like to hoop onesies. I demonst... [More]

Free Basting Stitches

Here is something no embroiderer should be without: basting stitches. Especially when they are FREE. Overall, basting files place a running stitch around the outside of the design area, temporarily securing the hooped fabric and stabilizer together. Some machines even have a basting feature bu... [More]

The Value of Hooping Correctly

We are excited to have Eileen Roche, Editor of Designs in Machine Embroidery share this content with you, which was originally posted on Eileen’s Machine Embroidery Blog:    Our friends at Baby Lock have excellent advice for achieving beautiful embroidery on any machine... [More]

Fancy Window Pouch

A few years ago I made for myself a messenger bag style purse, with one of [More]

Bobbin Basics

Bobbins are the cement that holds embroidery stitches together, so they play an important role in the outcome of every machine embroidery design. Here is an overview of what you need to know about bobbins. Bobbins are not one-size-fits-all. They are available in three basic sizes for home embr... [More]
Community Circle Highlights

Community Circle Highlights

There is not enough space to tell you all the wonderful information and special friendships that occurred in Orlando over the weekend of March 27 and 28, 2009.  I would not have the first idea where to begin, but I do want to attempt to give you a few of the best highlights that I got from the best darned Community Circle ever!  Well, from A (aprons) to Z (zippers) we just could not have wished for anything more.

Did I mention that the food and conversation were excellent?

I personally was unable to go to the Apron, etc., presentation, but I do know that they made some really unusual designs, including a ‘slip on’ single piece apron.  That Mary Mulari is one imaginative woman.  You can see her work and designs at:  https://www.marymulari.com.  Mary is doing interesting things, especially with zippers!  You just have to check that one out.

Then there was Rita Ferro.  If she is ever in your neck of the woods, you have to see her.  Not only is she a wonderfully interesting person, but has a sense of humor that will leave you in stitches - - - so to speak.  She wrote the book “Life is not a Dress Size” about 10 years ago.  You can still get that out of print book by looking on sites that have used books for sale.  Rita can help you to see the dream bed that will make you feel like royalty in a fantasy, wrapped up in softness and delight.  You can currently catch her on Facebook.

The next demonstration was from James Raymer of Dalco Home Sew.  Despite his ‘corny’ jokes, he managed to dazzle the crowd with some very pretty appliqué designs. Those have a total of 15 sewouts for some really nice embroidery with appliqué projects.  When he had the group test the heat applied crystals, they were standing 3 deep in line to play with the fun bling!  I even got into it and you will be seeing some great projects from me in the future!

June Mellinger gave a terrific demonstration of the newest Brother machines which caused more than one of us to faint!  Those machines do everything except diaper the baby, and frankly, they are probably working on that too!

We even had Rick Macali show us the Whys and Wherefores of Design Creations.  He really helped us to understand why digitizing is done as it is.  That makes us much so much better at doing our craft and he was so informative.

My presentation included some very helpful computer features and software that are free for anyone.  I also talked about motivation in business as well in completing our embroidery projects.  People shared their motivational tips as well.

One of my free and very useful programs is called “Snipping Tool.”  When you are on the Internet, you can select a portion of the information that you see on the screen and save it as a ‘jpg’ file.

You can save your ‘capture’ (snippet) in free form or rectangle:

Or you can capture the Full Screen:

As promised, here is the XP version of the “Snipping Tool” download.  This is the one to download if you are using the Windows XP operating system.  If you are using Windows Vista, follow these steps:

1. Select the Start Button in the lower left hand corner and then Select Help and Support. 
  2. In the Search box, type Snip and press Enter. 
  3. Download the small program.

There really was a lot more, these were just a few of the things that made the Community Circle 2009 the best of the best!

May I suggest that you consider starting a “Christmas Club” just for yourself for next year’s Community Circle?  Just saving a few dollars a week can add up quickly and you will be delighted that you attend.  I know I am!

Comments (17) -

Pat,

I guess I won't have to write about the Community Circle.  You said it ALL.  Thanks for getting me off the hook.  ;o)

LaRue

LaRue-I so enjoyed meeting you and Ralph!  I can see friendships that will stand the test of time from this gathering.

Thanks for being there, and see you next year, if not sooner!

Pat

nmoore1965@msn.com 4/4/2009 8:26:21 AM

What fun it was to be at the CC and meet so many wonderful people. Thanks to Pat, LaRue, Rita, June, Cheryl and all the others that provided great information and inspiration. It is definately a "must do" for anyone who loves ME- whether a long timer or newbie!

Nancy in IN

thank you for the SNIPPY link.

I downloaded the snip tool and when I click on the icon and then try to select what I want to snip I get a black screen and what I snip is only black...

Forget it... It now works it is a great idea for cutting and pasting.

The snip tool is so helpful when you need to just get a little piece of information from any site.  I love sharing my information both in ME and computers!

Pat

So sorry to hear about the loss of your husband.  May God comfort you at this time.

Pat L

Pat,

I'm glad all of you had a great time at CC. Honestly, I'm jealous! Oh well, maybe next year.

Thanks for the Snipet tool! This is GREAT! It will come in very handy at work when I have to write out instructions on how to do something on the computer that involves icons!!!

Thanks also for the Mary Mulari link. It looks like she has some interesting things.

Rosie

This was my first and not my last Community Circle.  The many ideas taught by such talented artists, the camraderie and new friendships, and dining together with our newly-found friends was delightful.  All who were involved with this event worked so hard, especially those volunteers.  I truly appreciated Ann's appearance at such a trying time in her life.  I am so anxious to try out so many new ideas.  See you next year!  ....Hollye S.

lindaconklin 4/5/2009 8:31:48 AM

Gosh, I wish I could have been at the Community Circle. Maybe next year . . .  "Snippy" is really great. I have one problem that the "Shift+Drag" selects are reversed: the rectangular one does free-form select and vice-versa. I guess I just need to remember that they are backwards! . . . Linda C in MI

lindaconklin-I did not notice anything being backward, but you may have XP and I use Vista.  That is interesting, but as long as it works, it is a great tool to have available.

I hope people understand my enthusiasm about the Community Circle.  When we meet with people who have the same interests as we do, it is a lot of fun and excitement.  

Make new friends and keep the old . . .

Pat

Dear Ann:

Sorry to hear about your husband.  I know what you are going through as I have been there too.  Just remember that the good Lord does not give a cross that is too heavy to bear and He will help you through this, if you just ask.  Trust Him.  I know that the days and weeks ahead will be difficult but know that our prayers are with you.  God Bless.

Marg

Thank you for all your comments to Ann.  While she did attend a luncheon and dinner, I know her heart was elsewhere.

Ann is a courageous woman and appreciates all your thoughts and prayers.

Pat

flamiemimi 4/6/2009 6:32:47 PM

Dear Ann,

So sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved husband Bill.   I remember him from way back.  He was always a very sweet and kind man.  I know it is a tough time for you, but just wanted to send my condolensces and to let you know you and your family are in my prayers.  I was shocked to hear about this news, as I was unable to attend this year's Community Circle as I had other committments, but will try for next year's event.   In the meantime, hang in there and take good care of yourself during these difficult times.

Maeme - Daytona Beach, FL

Pat,

Really was good to finally meet you.  I just got my computer back tonight so now I can get going on my embroidery.  Thanks for all the great information you gave and I look forward to much more.  Great blog by the way.  It was wonderful to see old friends and make new ones.

Linda J

Linda, it was my pleasure to meet so many enthusiastic and wonderful new friends.  

Perhaps my blog does not convey the friendship aspect enough.  These were not just people who were in the same place at the same time, they were kindred spirits and enjoying other like minded people.

The crowd was great!!

Pat