Fancy Window Pouch

A few years ago I made for myself a messenger bag style purse, with one of [More]

Bobbin Basics

Bobbins are the cement that holds embroidery stitches together, so they play an important role in the outcome of every machine embroidery design. Here is an overview of what you need to know about bobbins. Bobbins are not one-size-fits-all. They are available in three basic sizes for home embr... [More]

One Sassy Lady!

We are excited to have Eileen Roche, Editor of Designs in Machine Embroidery share this content with you, which was originally posted on Eileen’s Machine Embroidery Blog:   September 18, 2013 By eileenroche Katherine Artines   We introduced Stipple! Sass... [More]

"Mod Olives" Tutorial

To watch a tutorial on how to cut and piece curves using the Quick Curve Ruler go here.    Fabric Requirements for above layout:  *Optional revision to tutorial can be found here. -(48) 6 x 8 rectangles prints (center diamonds) or -(8) Fat Quarters (you wi... [More]

Tear Away or Cut Away. Which Stabilizer Should You Use?

Lightweight tear-away stabilizer (top) and heavy cut-away (bottom).   Like the foundation of your home, stabilizers support the stitches you place upon them. If the foundation is not good, the structure isn't either. With all of these different weights of stabilizers, which do you use? ... [More]

Well, here I am, once again

Well, here I am, once again trying to think of something about which to write. It’s been more than five years since I’ve touched a sewing machine for anything other than to put up a hem or repair a seam. I was never an expert on anything sewing or embroidery related and now the bit o... [More]

Fancy Shoulder Purse

Do you remember this purse?          I showed it to you in my October 2009 blog, Be Productive.  In that blog I encouraged you to keep a record of your sewing projects so that you could see just how much you are accomplishing.  Have you d... [More]

Embroidery Studio Organization in 6 Easy Steps: The Stitching Sisters’ Practical Guide

We are excited to have Eileen Roche, Editor of Designs in Machine Embroidery share this content with you, which was originally posted on Eileen’s Machine Embroidery Blog:   Marie and I are known as the Stitching Sisters. Not only are we really sisters, we are also the best of... [More]

Embellishing Embroidery

Machine embroidery is so versatile it becomes a palette with enormous possibilities when you add simple embellishments. Embellishments add interest by making embroidery three dimensional, introducing textures, and adding sparkle. Hot fix crystals are one way to accentuate embroidery designs... [More]

Pinteresting Embroidery

Pinterest is probably the greatest digital scrapbook ever created. Essentially a collection of images linked to websites, Pinterest is a one-stop way to connect to whatever your interests may be. With more then 25 billion pins, the site is a treasure trove of ideas, but for the purpose of th... [More]

Fancy Chess and Checkers Set

NOTE:  The design sizes as described here and in the Stitch Counts documentavailable below are correct.  Determine which design size is right for you based onthis information.  I used 130 x 180 mm, 150 x 240 mm, and 200 x 260 hoops for Small,Medium and Large designs respectively. ... [More]

7 Ordinary Towels – One Fabulous Gift Part 2 of 2

We are excited to have Eileen Roche, Editor of Designs in Machine Embroidery share this content with you, which was originally posted on Eileen’s Machine Embroidery Blog:  Add the Icing In case you missed the first installment of this 2 part series click here: &... [More]

Easy Stitch Fix

It's happened to all of us at one time or another. A project is stitching just fine then, out of nowhere, a glitch with the stitches. It isn't just the waste of materials that we mind, but the loss of time invested. In the sample above, I got almost to the end and ran out of th... [More]

Pucker up!?!

So, stabilizing. I have to admit that it’s something with which I haven’t had many problems. When I got my first embroidery machine, a Brother 7000, the gal in the shop just slipped a piece of stabilizer under the hoop. Until I learned better from fellow embroiderers on the Internet t... [More]

Taming Metallic Threads

Metallic embroidery threads adds a touch of class to any project—if you can stand to use them that long! Here are some tips for avoiding pitfalls typically associated with metallic threads.   Although this design is beautiful stitched in rayon, the metallic snowflake is exquis... [More]

Every newbie wants to know…

We are excited to have Eileen Roche, Editor of Designs in Machine Embroidery share this content with you, which was originally posted on Eileen’s Machine Embroidery Blog:  By Sherry McCary, Product Development, Designs in Machine Embroidery How do I get designs from the... [More]
The Avid Embroiderer Presents - Bed Sheets with a helping hand

The Avid Embroiderer Presents - Bed Sheets with a helping hand

I recently was just thumbing through a catalog for bedding because I think I should be considering some new sheets.  It is really hard to tell the quality from looking at a photo.  Furthermore, what is soft to some may not be soft to me.  About 10 years ago I found that I was not able to tolerate the scratchiness of 'new' sheets, especially if they were of a poor quality.  I do know that many people are just fine with a 200 thread count. (see my sheets blog - a lot of good information on quality of sheets)  But scratchy sheets keep me awake. 

When I came across this, I thought, I can do that with my current sheets!!

The information said that the pocket was 15" (38 cm).  It looks simple enough but I noticed that the sheets were on 'clearance' and I always check, clearance or not, what the lowest rating people have to say.  Often, one cannot please everyone, but I look for real and valid issues.  In this case, one rater said that the pockets were on the wrong side of the sheets.  Hmmm. . .

OK, I have this as a vision and it is still a work in process.  If you have some suggestions, please add it in the Comments below.  Everyone benefits from a single idea - share your ideas!

I have an old robe that I use as practice for embroidery.  It has two large patch pockets.  Frankly, the pockets are too big (is that really possible? well, yes it is).  Unless I am going to carry a quart of milk in my robe, they are just too big.  Then, I simply cut them from the robe, size is disregarded at this time.

I cut the pockets at their bottom, I probably don't need that (**afterthought, should have kept about 6" that could have been folded to be smaller pockets).  I also cut a 1" edge where they would butt up against each other and I will sew the pockets together with this selvage.  I cut 6" above the top of the pocket for an area to be tucked in between the mattress and box springs.  I was so busy thinking about what I wanted that I forgot to take photos.  Sorry.

I actually kept changing my mind about the sizes and the methods.  This is what I want to pass on to you:
  • This fabric was cotton but I would something a little heavier like a bottom weight.  I would not use a heavy fabric like canvas, but it might work for you.
  • On the pocket that will hold the magazines, I am going to do a monogram.
  • I started with 2 pockets and divided the pocket on the left so the remote would not slide over and sewed a vertical and horizontal line to create the third pocket.
  • I sewed a horizontal line to match the line on the pencil pocket. That left an unused area that was not open.
  • I cut the top of the (just inserted) horizontal line which created a fourth pocket that was just right for my glasses. 
  • I am going to use some sort of ribbon on the tops of the pockets for a visual pop and to cover up the top of the glasses pocket that is a raw edge.
  • I found that about 6" was suitable for tucking between the mattress and box springs.  Then I figured it would work on the sofa too, and it did.  For the sofa, I may want the caddy to be the same color as my sofa so it disappears. That is next on the agenda.

I think there are lots of people who would love one of these, check your gift list, twice of course.

LOL - I was looking at some things at Pinterest and came across a store that I did not recognize as being in my area.  I put in my zip code and it said "There is no store in your area.  You should consider moving."  

Tip:  I thought I had heard  everything but this one is a newbie for me❣  I had the neighborhood kids painting a few weeks ago and left them with plenty of water to wash out the brushes.  Well, that was not exactly my brightest hour. . .  Eleven brushes were hardened.  Then I found this trick - using an amount of hot (yes, hot) vinegar to cover the bristle part of the brush.  In about 5 minutes, 8 of the brushes were ready to go again.  The remaining brushes were just as stiff as they had been.  I prefer not to use harsh chemicals like turpentine, so this was a great idea for me.

Now I have to come up with something to use that left over vinegar.  It is still clear and smells normal.

Comments (3) -

lindafroggie 11/23/2014 10:54:51 AM

Have used something similar but doesn't stay between mattress and "box springs" when bed is raised and lowered (Tempur-Ergo System).  Might try stitching to a sheet to see if that works.  Loved the post.

Thank you Linda.  I had not thought of having a unique bed.  Your information is valuable for me.  I think I would do a cross stitch (for strength) and place it on the dust ruffle, if available.  

I have used mine for a week and love it.

I forgot to add that using a small amount of elastic on the top of the pocket is key.  Otherwise, items will not sit well.  As I noted in the blog, I am still seeing things to do better.  Linda showed us that there are traps along the way.  Thank you all for your input.  It takes a village to create a caddy. . . .  Pat