Easier Christmas Cookies!

Remember this Christmas cookie tutorial? I showed you how to make freestanding applique Christmas cookies. I found an even easier way to make them using heat-away stabilizer.

Stitch-n-Heat Heat Removable Film by Allstitch is becoming my favorite go-to stabilizer for creating freestanding applique. Stitching on felt, applique becomes freestanding because the satin stitches enclose all of the edges. The key is using a stabilizer that separates cleanly and easily from the cookie.

When creating freestanding applique, heat-away film works so much better than tear-away, which can leave white fiber stands showing through the satin stitches. It is also much easier to use than water-soluble stabilizers because you don't have to soak and rinse anything. You don't even have to turn on the iron because heat-away film tears away beautifully.

The only precaution I take is to add a layer of leftover pieces of heat-away film around the area where the placement stitches are. That helps to prevent total needle perforation of the film when running the final satin stitches. If the felt tore away from the stabilizer before stitching was complete, it is likely the stitching would not line up with the edge of the applique.

When stitching is complete, tear away the film and you have a lovely, two-sided applique cookie with perfect edges. 

Check out the tutorial and then give these designs a try:

Gingerbread Man and Gingerbread House

Snowman and Mitten

Santa and Star

These mylar designs would also work well: Stocking and Bell

Tree and Snowflake

It's not too early to start stitching for Christmas!

Debbie SewBlest