Graffiti Glam Coming To Community Circle 2009

Rita and Mary

Mary and I are so excited about coming to Florida for the Community Circle Event the last weekend in March!!  What perfect timing.  It's been a bitter cold winter here in Iowa -- and I am really looking forward to FLORIDA.

It is always a joy for me to present my seminar, "Life Is Not A Dress Size".  I wrote the book because I wanted my life to be about something more important than my weight.  Even though I have been overweight for most of my adult life -- I never wanted that to be the major focus of my day.  But the challenge was to wear clothes that were comfortable, but still reflected my own personal style. 

For example -- as I write this, I'm working on a new outfit for a GO RED Style Show charity event about to take place in Puyallup, Washington.  I'll be emceeing the event -- and I wanted something dramatic.  I'm sewing a long six-gore red skirt -- decorated with old t-shirts -- all of them black & white.  I LOVE words -- and shopping for the t-shirts at Goodwill stores this winter has been a very entertaining pastime.  Although I bought about 100 slogan T-shirts -- I really only needed six or so.  Here are some of my favorite "words" from t-shirts:

"YOU DON'T KNOW ME (Federal Witness Protection Program)"
"NOT GUILTY"
"I'M MOM'S FAVORITE"
"THIS IS WHAT COOL LOOKS LIKE"
"CHUBBY & DANGEROUS"

and......my favorite.......

"IT'S ONLY FUNNY UNTIL SOMEBODY GETS HURT.  THEN IT'S FREAKING HILARIOUS."

I've named this outfit "Grafitti Glam".  And you'll be able to see the whole thing, finished, if you come to the Community Circle Event.  Although it sounds kind of wild -- you will be happy to know I toned it down with some black and white zebra stripes.  And -- oh yes --  there will also be a wrap made out of red sequins fabric.

Subtle?  Not so much...

My message is always about using your sewing to live your best life.  For me -- that means altering patterns or garments so they really FIT ME.  And -- even more importantly -- reflect my own personal style and attitude about life!  It also means making gifts for the most important people in my life.  My niece, Kelcy, is getting married in April -- and in my next blog entry -- I'll write about what I'm making her for a wedding gift.

Mary Mulari and I are big believers in hand-made gifts.  There is no better way to show somebody you care than MAKING A GIFT FOR THEM.  But it's a mistake to think you must spend 40 hours on a big fancy project or quilt for a gift to be appreciated.  Some of the best gifts are practical items that the recipient uses every day.  In our Friday night event -- we are bringing our "BEST IDEAS".  For the first time -- we've been allowed to put together the "best of the best".  Our favorites.  And WE HOPE YOU LOVE THEM!!

See you soon!

Rita Farro

Join us - learn more about Community Circle 2009

Comments (2) -

I would love to see that dress!  What an imagination!!

My t-shirt says "Save Mother Earth - It is the only place with CHOCOLATE"  

Pat

caburmeister 2/14/2009 9:57:35 AM

Loved reading about your Tshirt collected soon to be outfit.  I would love to see it too....but I'm still stuck in IOWA.  I remember watching some extra fun episodes on Paula Sands show with YOU Rita. Candy from Iowa