Testing Ann's New Electric Stitch Eraser

I always thought it would be nice to have a stitch eraser but never felt that I needed one. Now, after trying one out, I can see it would be a worthwhile investment. See Ann's Stitch Eraser here.

A stitch eraser is one of those items that you don't need, until you do. Then it is invaluable.

This one is cordless, which is convenient. It also has a narrow blade which allows you to get into tight stitch areas without chewing up a lot of fabric.

Hoop the item you are trimming with the bottom side facing up (backwards in the hoop). Don't pull it drum tight, just snug enough to keep the fabric flat.

There is a slight learning curve. Bottom line, don't over trim. Just guide the stitch eraser over satin stitches. It removes bobbin thread sitting on top without a lot of work.

The thread will look speckled. When you see that, turn the item over and brush the thread away with a fingernail or the end of a seam ripper.

Continue until all stitches are removed.

I sprayed water on the fabric after stitches were removed and steamed it with an iron to help remove some of the holes left by the needle and threads. With dense satin stitching, you may need to submerge the fabric in water, let it dry flat, and iron.

When using an Electric Stitch Eraser, keep this in mind:
  • Go slow and take your time. If you put a hole in the fabric, you might as well have thrown the piece out and started over to begin with.
  • Items being trimmed benefit from being lightly hooped, upside down.
  • Less is more when it comes to trimming. It doesn't take much effort to trim stitches.
  • Brush away thread and fuzz created by the trimmer often so that you have a clean visual.
  • Trim any stray threads so that they do not become entangled in the cutting teeth.
  • Stabilizer is your friend. It helps keep the stitches and fabric apart.
  • Even dense, decorative fill stitching removed relatively effortlessly.
Check out the Electric Stitch Eraser. There is a PDF of photos and instructions showing you just how well it works. Maybe Santa will bring it if you put it on your list!

Debbie SewBlest

Comments (1) -

One thing that I personally do is place a paperback book under the area in question. It needs to be as thick as the hoop and then, gives the fabric an even and firm place with which to work.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer