Making Embroidery Pretty on the Back

Can you tell which of these designs is the front of the piece and which is the back? By using the same color thread in your bobbin, even the back of the embroidery is pretty.

This was one of my projects published in Designs in Machine Embroidery magazine. The base was an antique linen napkin and the designs were very light in stitch counts; more than Redwork but less than traditional fill designs.

By using the same thread color in the bobbin, the back looked almost as nice as the front. This technique works well for items where you will see both the front and back sides. Napkins, towels, table linens, bed sheets and the like will look professionally made when you stitch them this way.

Use a fabric-type water-soluble stabilizer in the hoop like Vilene TackySulky FabriSolvy or Water Dissolvable Backing. Secure your item in the hoop with temporary adhesive and baste it to the stabilizer.

With delicate surfaces like antique linens, adding an embroidery topper helps keep stitches refined and keeps the surface from getting snagged or pilled.

Finally, this technique works best with light, open designs like these:

Give it a try and make something pretty!

Debbie SewBlest

Comments (2) -

WOW! These designs are beautiful. I had not seen things from Kinship Kreations before but I am a fan now.

May you be blessed in ways you have not yet imagined.  

Pat

Adorable Ideas is also among the above. I have always been a fan of their work.