The Avid Embroiderer Presents - Monogramming on Devine Furniture and the Freebie Design for Your Project.

As I have noted in the past, I subscribe to several embroidery magazines. They are so full of great ideas and wonderful tutorials. I keep them because I want to be able to find something I saw recently or even not recently that I want to share with you.

Since I am moving shortly, that stack of magazines was about 2 foot tall. Not a great item for traveling. So, I spent 3 hours (I could have done it quicker, but I kept getting distracted) going through the magazines and getting out the articles that were especially of interest to me.

My favorite readings are in the DESIGNS IN MACHINE EMBROIDERY MAGAZINE -  (https://www.dzgns.com/magazine/offer/)  Talk about being full of  - - interesting stuff, this magazine delivers. Reading through them and cutting out exciting articles, I finished with a 2" tall mound of paper. Today's information is one of those treasures. I am not sure it is DIME because the name is not listed on the page for this idea.  So, thanks to wherever I got this from and I hope you enjoy this project.

There was writing on this photo, but it was difficult to read so I am quoting it here for your information.

Photo courtesy of Designs in Machine Embroidery (probably)

"Paint
Have you visited a paint store recently and viewed the selection of spray paints? Remember the days of basic black and white spray paint? Basic has vanished into a rainbow of colors. And finishes! Who knew you could apply a hammered bronze fishing onto a flat, wooden object with a can of spray paint? Talk about dramatic. Arm yourself with a can of spray paint, fine sandpaper, a tarp and a well-ventilated area and you can transform a garage-sale find into stunning chic in minutes."

"Monogram
The monogram on a seat back cushion has only one function - to make a statement. It can be funky, formal or fun. Whatever you choose, it sets the mood for the whole room. The size should be impressive - you don't want the postage stamp effect here. Take into consideration the placement of the chair. The monogram should not be obstructed when the chair is pushed into the table. Work with a template and tape in the room setting. You'll be glad you did when you offer your guests a seat."

"Fabric and Trim
When selecting fabric and trim for furniture think function! Look for strong, sturdy fabrics that will withstand normal wear and tear (or heavy wear and tear, depending on your family!). Fabrics that can be spot-cleaned and vacuumed are best. Treat fabrics with stain guard repellent, testing it first on a swatch. Trims should be comfortable to sit on - beads are not appropriate for set cushions or backs. Long fibers, such as eyelash trim, can loosen from their base and work their way onto clothing. Think an exaggerated version of a white cloth napkin on black pants!"

The original photo was actually in a wonderful 'hammered bronze' that I could not duplicate in my scanned copy.

If you have some chairs that need a face lift, the above is quick and easy. Garage sales are a good place to find some chairs. After all, how you create the new chair won't 'tell' whatever is underneath your brilliant project.  How grand would 4 chairs look around your table? If you have only one chair, it can be used in the living or family room. A terrific statement piece that you created.

That is all very good advise! I am thinking about those cushions on the metal frame lawn chairs. You know the ones, the frame lasted forever but the cushions were a disaster after one summer. I cannot believe they still sell these - and for about $40 each (and up). (Personally, I think the price is just a little high.)

(No one should laugh at my drawing, or your freebie will be corrupt!!) Here is my take on the webbed chair but with some class.

I am not able to duplicate this in real life at this time, but here are my thoughts on the method to create this project.

• Begin by spraying the bars and legs your chosen metallic color. I am demonstrating it in an old gold or a bronze. After all, doing it silver won't change the look a great deal. I would seek information from the paint store about how to keep the paint from chipping or getting scratched off. This chair will take a lot of wear and tear so I assume that it will be ready to have a 'makeover' or a trip to the recycle bin at the end of the summer.
  • Keep the webbing on for support. If the webbing is in poor condition, I would reweb the chair.
  • Select some sort of canvas or other sturdy fabric. This chair will be in the sun and exposed to a lot of elements including water.
  • For the fabric, I think the length measurement would be approximately 4" (100mm) longer than the measurement for the chair entirely covered and sewn or glued together in an inconspicuous area in the back/bottom. (A circular piece around the chair.) One inch would be for turning a hem twice and sewn strongly. The remaining 2" would be for sewing or gluing the piece together.
  • On the width, I would add 2" for each side to have a twice turned hem. If you want a finished side for the chair, add an extra inch to an inch and half to bring the front and back together for hand stitching.
  • While you still have a flat sheet of fabric, determine where the monogram or design you are using should be placed. That and the place where you are going to sew or glue the long piece of fabric together will tell you where to place the embroidery.
  • Don't forget that polyester will hold up a lot better than rayon. This project will be subject to a hot sun, driving rain and shivering kids. Some of the beautiful colors can be found here: https://www.annthegran.com/themes/all/machine-embroidery/threads_bobbins.aspx

I thought the design I chose for the chair would be a wonderful freebie. I hope you enjoy using it.

chair crest The Avid Embroiderer.zip (275.1KB)