Lovely Letters for a Pretty Cork Monogram

For gifts with a wow factor, Lovely Letters from Pickle Pie Designs does the job. Get the design now for 20% off!

A few years ago, I used Lovely Letters to create a pretty monogram project that was featured in Designs in Machine Embroidery magazine. It was really simple, but turned out quite elegant using cork and a gorgeous piece of scrapbook paper.

The letters come in five sizes ranging from 5.5 inches to 9.5 inches tall. I had a 5x7 sized faux antique oval frame, so chose to stitch the 5.5 inch font.

With a leather-type feel, there is no edge finishing necessary when stitching on cork. That makes it ideal for creating freestanding designs, like this monogram.

I hooped a lightweight tear-away stabilizer and floated a sheet of cork using a temporary adhesive.

I deleted the flower from the original design with Embrilliance

I also eliminated the outside placement stitching since the design will stand on its own and not appliqued to a background. Alternately, you could simply skip the color stops for any of these aspects that you do not want in your final project.

Load your monogram and stitch it out on the cork. Use a slightly lighter or darker thread than the cork to add dimension. When embroidery is finished, take everything out of the hoop, clip threads, and tear away the stabilizer.

Carefully trim around the outer edge of the monogram, about 1/8” from the stitching line. Place the monogram on top of the cut glass from the frame and used it as a template. Trace around the glass and cut the paper along the line. Adhere the monogram on the decorative paper and assemble the frame.

Debbie SewBlest