Hooping T-Shirts for Embroidery

Hooping and embroidering garments that don't open down the front, such as T-shirts and sweatshirts, can be challenging. Even when you get them hooped, it can be hard to get them on and off the machine.

Watch this video for tips on how to do this more easily and take at least half the work out of hooping and embroidering our comfort clothes!

Click Here To View Video

- Deborah

Comments (5) -

janeblackwood 7/14/2012 7:29:56 AM

I am surprised that she didn't use a sticky stabilizer that will prevent the knit from stretching while being embroidered.

I would never use sticky stablizer either.  The difference  that I do is that I don't hoop the shirt, I just use a basting stitch.

You also can just stitch the design out on the nylon mesh stablizer and then put it on the shirt as an applique.  I do that a lot now for it is so easy.

ok

I demonstrated the method that is used by professional embroiderers in commercial shops, adapted for home machines. Most self-adhesive stabilizers are tear-away products, which doesn't provide enough support for many designs. Basting is a good way to avoid fabric movement, and as with any technique, there is never just one "right" way. This is the way that works best for me.

The presser (not pressure) foot never touches the fabric.  So there would be no "snow plowing".

Shirts are easier to handle if done at the ironing board where you can slip the shirt over the end of the board and work with just one layer of fabric.