The Avid Embroiderer Presents - Jump stitches and the mystery of removing them. My Freebie will be a favorite.

I was just watching a video from a very well-known embroidery expert, Ok it is Lindee Goodall. Her site is amazing but I want to focus on the videos she makes. Keep in mind that these videos don't just write, produce and deliver by themselves. They require time and thought. You can see some of her tips here: https://bit.ly/lindee  

Knowledge is power, appropriate for embroidery. To teach is to learn, you really need to have your act together to create a viable video.   

There are always some things on which the experts might agree to disagree. One of those things is “To clip or not between letters.” This does not have a hard and fast rule, but some considerations might be brought to the surface.

I do bridal hankies at Etsy. I have done so since 2001 (WOW), I think I have a little experience to share.

Your project and recipient will make the final determination. Who is the recipient? If it is someone with tiny fingers, babies, cutting the small ‘jump’ is a very good idea. One reason is they could have a fingernail that has a ‘hanging chad’ that could catch those very small threads causing issues such as pain, possibly bleeding, and just a nuisance to the caregiver.

A bride or bridal party recipient could catch a thread on any number of things including, but not limited to rings, jewelry, and bling of all sorts. Anyone who has attempted to dislodge an inappropriate entanglement knows this is a challenge.

·       Wearables like jeans and knit tops certainly do need trimming. Fingernails can catch on just about anything. The damage to a knit garment could be quite serious. Fancy items usually require the finished look as well.

·       If you observe some puckering, trimming those stitches can help if they are close enough to the wrinkle.

·       If the wording is going into something like a wall hanging or placed into an enclosed frame, cutting these ‘jumpettes’ would be unnecessary.

In my personal experiences, I have found a couple of tips.

ü Always trim the thread from the back of your project first. It makes the front clipping much easier.  I prefer to clip while the design is still in the hoop.

ü For small jumps, a single cut is usually sufficient both back and front. But if it is more than ¼” (6mm), it is best to clip at both needle points but should not too be close to the needle puncture.

ü If you are working with the hoop removed, you can actually feel the fabric move ever so slightly. Try it for yourself, it is astounding that a small jump can, in fact, cause the fabric to shrink.

ü It is a good idea to make those backside threads trimmed, including the tie-off ends, for a more professional workmanship appearance.

The Freebie this time has something different, it is called a ‘smash’ or ‘knockdown.’ These are normally used to tamp down fabrics that have a nap. This would include suede, terry cloth or furs, and the like. It allows for the lettering to stand out of the fabric’s depth. You can use the wording alone or even the smash alone. I did the smash in two colors, but you could do a single color to match your background where it will mostly disappear. 

Thank you for stopping by, I hope you and yours are all healthy and safe. Do something fun, like take a drive to an area you have never been to. See new things. Remember that we are still protecting our friends and loved ones from the Virus. 

Comments (1) -

thecomputerist 3/13/2021 4:48:26 PM

Dear Gentle Readers, I watch just how many readers take an 'action' with my blog. That means that "X" may have read/visited my blog, but "Y" have sent the information/design/data to an email or social media.

This particular Freebie has been a favorite of mine for about 4 or 5 years. I felt it was a little bit impolite/ragged for general consumption. Now I see that over 800 (as of 3/13/21) have acted on the design (I assume it is the design specifically).

Maybe I will expand my work to include a little more sarcasm. After all, finding that venue may be a little under utilized. Let me know if there is a (not too rude) thought you might like to see presented with a design to give it a desirable and humorous twist.
Pat, The Avid Embroiderer