The Avid Embroiderer Presents: Skiska, And, working with cutouts in embroidery. The Freebie is ready for Halloween!

Skiska is a form of embroidery from Persia, it has ties to religious factions, but today we use the format mostly for little or large shiny objects. The Pillettes (French) aka, sequins. Pillettes is a sequin or spangle sewn onto a costume.

Naturally, no belly dancer costume would be complete without the 'finger cymbals."

This one is a more typical style of a dance costume. Of course, they become more elaborate as you are putting this one together! 

(If you need the full name of these scarves, Pearl Belly Dance Hip Scarf, Hip Shakers Belly Dancing Skirt Coin. 
(I like blue, I am a size medium.)

Since I did not have any sequins, I did a variation on the style. My Freebie is versatile & not challenging to create. Due to the house stitches' density, I used a heavy-weight cut-away stabilizer. 

Additionally, I used aluminum as the backing sheet. I hooped my fabric and laid on the foil over the whole sheet which is 5" x 7" (125mm x 175mm). I used the 'die lines' of the two patterns to create the windows & door. I did remove the foil but where I didn't remove it, there were stitches that has foil peaking in between two stitches. 

You could use a piece of fabric for the whole design, or cut out small pieces of different fabrics. Using small pieces is more time-consuming. Additionally, I tried using a small piece of terry cloth. I don't recommend that, it was entirely too thick. 

Use fabric with interesting designs or a piece of plain fabric for simplicity. It is up to your imagination. Here are some ideas for the die-line section. There are two designs in this pack, the first, & smaller is for the die line that will be sewn initially. You can sew it on the backing fabric or use a large piece of aluminum foil (as shown). Or any piece of fabric. 

The aluminum foil is a lot easier to work with. If you chose separate pieces, the 3rd photo, you would start with photo #1 and place items over the squares. You need to be sure your "window/door" fabric is about 2mm larger than the square on which it is placed. 

Aluminum foil can be left after the die lines are complete. You will eventually remove any foil that is not covered by stitches. The foil is easy, but be careful not to tear the portion inside the box. 

On the group where I placed individual pieces of fabric, the terry cloth was too dense, so be sure you can sew with it. You could place a piece of stabilizer over the window but this one was just too dense. Be sure to trim the pieces a bit larger than the die lines. 

Thank you for your interest in my work. I do enjoy doing these. I can't draw a straight line, so I do get my designs from: www.Pixabay.com or clker.com. Both are free.