Another No-slip Stabilizer Trick

I stitch a lot of in-the-hoop (ITH) projects, many of which require floating pieces on no-show mesh or fabric-type water-soluble stabilizer. Both of these are extremely thin and can sag or loosen in the hoop, no matter how tight you make it.

By their very nature, ITH projects require that you remove and replace the hoop often. That also adds to the chance of your stabilizer slipping a bit during handling.

We have discussed T-pins and double-sided tape as ways to help keep stabilizer and fabric from slipping in the hoop. I found another option that works really well - vet wrap or self-adhesive bandage wrap.

The thin, textured wrap grips to itself without leaving any adhesive residue behind and is available in a variety of sizes and pretty colors. I purchased the one-inch size to try. 

Some recommended putting it in the corners of the hoop but I don’t have issues with slippage there. The sides are my trouble areas, especially with larger hoops where the sides are extremely long.

I started by wrapping the inside hoop along the long sides, overlapping edges of the tape slightly. Don’t wrap it too thickly or your corners will be loose. By the way, the Hoop Mat by dime is a very useful hooping tool.

Now, hooped thin stabilizers, whether they are no-show mesh or fabric-type water-soluble, will stay secured in the hoop.

Don’t wrap the outer hoop, because the wrap may grip or drag on your embroidery machine surface instead of moving freely. Wrapping the inside hoop provides a layer of stabilizer between the wrap and the machine.

When the wrap needs changed, or you don’t need it when hooping several layers of fabric, batting, and stabilizer, just unwrap it.

Debbie SewBlest