Embroider Shirt Cuffs for Christmas

Do you love the look of monograms on men's cuffs? This is a stylish touch that almost any man can appreciate. The trick is to create these small wonders in the correct size, without bulky corners and with proper placement.cuff display You can get confidence to embroider cuffs by practicing on cuffs from shirts with worn collars and stains. Here are few tips to get you started.

1. Letter size should be no larger than 3/8". Anything larger looks amateurish.

2. The letter style should be tested to make sure that the small openings in letters such as e's and a's don't close up when stitched at a very small size.

3. The placement should be just above the stitching line of the cuff so that the monogram can peek out from the edge of a jacket sleeve.

4. The monogram should be placed on the left cuff.

5. Use traditional colors for men's dress suits, such as dark navy, charcoal gray and dark brown.

It's best to hoop cuffs, rather than adhering it to a base of adhesive stabilizer. Even though the stitch count is low, these small monograms require precise stitch placement and cuffs have two-ply construction. It isn't necessary to place the lower edge of the cuff in the hoop. In fact, if the lower edge of the cuff was included in the hoop, the monogram would have to be placed too high on the cuff.

hooped cuff

Use your smallest hoop size - you know - the one that you have never used before :)

If your machine has adjustable embroidery speed, stitch slowly.

Use light density and add pull compensation when programming your letters.

You can get three fonts suitable for embroidering cuffs and pockets of men's shirts in my Shirt Cuff Kit. It comes with detailed placement instructions and ideas on how you can market your shirt embroidery services, including how to make a display frame for dry cleaners and men's stores. On sale now at the special price of just $19.95. www.myembroiderymentor.com

Best of luck with your cuff embroidery!

See you next time, and may embroidery always bring you joy.

Deborah

Comments (10) -

Thank you for the tips, those cuffs look very nice.

I have wanted to try this and knowing those tips will make my project better.

I have known that doing a very small, 3/8" or 9mm must be done with great care.  This makes it understandable.

Thank you so much!

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

perryjlm@aol.com 11/20/2010 7:38:44 PM

I'M TRYING TO ORDER THE SHIRT CUFF DESIGN BUT CAN'T GO TO www.myembroiderymentor.com

CAN YOU HELP

perryjlm@aol.com 11/20/2010 7:45:16 PM

HOW DO I ORDER THE DESIGN FOR CUFF AND SHIRT IN ART FORMAT

I go to myemroiderymentor.com but don't see the shirt cuff kit?  I can't find it.

Jilliej7 - This was originally posted in 2010 and it may have been discontinued.  Sorry.

Elizaanewton 5/16/2017 1:17:07 PM

I have a customer that wants both left and right cuff done and I'm having trouble figuring out how to make it stitch the right way

Elizaanewton - Please email me or respond here. Be specific about what issue you are having.

sweetqstitchery 9/9/2017 10:07:20 PM

Why the left cuff?  My customer suggested right cuff since he is right handed.  He thought it would be more noticeable when he shook hands or while writing at a desk.

It is common to put logos on the right cuff, but traditional to put monograms on the left cuff. Of course, you can place the monogram on the right if that is what your customer prefers. To heck with tradition! Please your customer and maybe you will start a new tradition Smile