The Avid Embroiderer Presents - Dancing the Night Away

I can remember the Wednesday Night dance at my High School.  It was so fun and dreamy.  (OK, I was a teenager!)  I remember dancing the night away, the lights were always low, and it was very warm in that room.  Between dances, many people went outside to cool off in the beautiful night air.  It makes me feel sentimental.

I remember Dick Clark's Bandstand and again, the teens are dancing, sometimes with the lights down low.

Today's teen dancers love what we enjoyed too.  Dancing and lots of twinkling/flashing lights.  I was thinking about the glow-in-the-dark threads that we have available to us.  I was also feeling about teenagers today believe that 30 years young is ancient and heaven help us over 60!  Being 70 years young has been great for me and whether you are looking back or forward to that number, I promise, my age is perfect for me!

In an effort to close a little of that age gap, I was thinking that I would do something for my older granddaughter that will have some bling and be great on the dance floor.  Additionally, with Halloween on the horizon, this will be a good idea to add to a costume.  Keep reading for my idea for that!

I have had this pattern for many years.  I have no idea where I got it but I do like it a lot!  The pattern is both a flower and a heart, and you can't beat that for wonderful designs.  It is a simple pattern, and I used some of my old scraps of interesting and shiny fabrics for the hearts. 

The edges are done with a polyester glow-in-the-dark thread that I have also had for a long time.  I felt concerned that it would not be glowing but it came through like a champ!

Here is my 'discovery sew' where I find that I am on the right track.

Here are two of my favorite items that would be really terrific for this project as well.  Click on the picture to access the link. 

Here is where a photo of the glow-in-the-dark project was going to go.  However, in the dark, the camera wants to put the flash on it.  So, you have to take my word for it, the project is really pretty with the glowing design.

Here is my idea for my grandchildren's costumes.  We all know it is not a good idea to place their names on their clothing, so I chose to do something different.

I have some Green Grosgrain Ribbon that is about 1.5" (3.8cm) and I am going to use about 45" creating a sash for them.  The sash would be like the beauty contest style.  Then I will embroider, again with the glow-in-the-dark thread, "BEST COSTUME".  I will embroider it so the wording is on both the front and back of the sash.  My grandchildren will be more visible and that makes me happy.

Check out this short video for several very clever life tips and tricks, especially if you don't know what he is holding!  Click on the photo to get to the link.

Best wishes to you and yours, Pat, The Avid Embroiderer