The Avid Embroiderer Presents - The Number One Thing EVERY Embroiderer Needs to Know. And a Freebie to enjoy.

I was thinking the other day about what one thing will make a difference for a Newbie learning embroidery.  Even for an experienced embroiderer, what sort of information might be of help to everyone.  Well, it came to me that there is one underlying piece of info that always must be understood and accurate. 

• This item is the basis for all embroidery. 
  • It is the place where too many things can go wrong.
  • Even if your thread and bobbin are accurate for your machine, you must be sure of this.
  • Regardless of the stitch, everyone has this information in common.
  • Digitizers and the software that can produce digitizing also make sure this is in place.
  • It is the single most difference between sewing and embroidery (via machines).
  • It is the knowledge that can help a newbie understand what embroidery should look like.

What should a simple embroidery stitch really look like?

How does the machine create a stitch?

This is a simple sewing  stitch followed by a simple embroidery stitch:

Review your results for accuracy.  Use multiple brands of thread.  NOT all 40 weight is the same. 

The circled items are not in keeping with a good embroidery stitch. 

Make notes of any unusual issues you may observe.  BTW, I highly recommend using a file folder, notebook or computer document to keep all your notes on your embroidery.  You will be GLAD you did!

Here are the tension tests for the various formats.  Download and use the test often.  It depends on the number of times you embroider as to how frequently you should run your test.  Just like tires on a car can be out of alignment, so can your machine.  Most of the time, you can adjust the tension yourself, but sometimes a technician needs to be involved.  Your machine is precision equipment.  Care for it, have it serviced and it will be a joy for a long time.

TensionTestDST.zip (372B)

TensionTestEXP.zip (248B)

TensionTestHUS.zip (351B)

TensionTestJEF.zip (300B)

TensionTestPCS.zip (4.1KB)

TensionTestPES.zip (1.1KB)

TensionTestXXX.zip (295B)

Here is my Freebie, I hope you will be able to use it often. 
Tip:
When I found this one, I was just astounded,  No ELBOW GREASE.  Do not do any work on this, do not scrub.  I think I would have used kitchen gloves but after that, this is one of those no 'brainers.' 

Here is my cookie sheet as it was in my kitchen - untouched and unedited:

The next photo shows the mixture on the pan.  It is about a cup of baking soda and a cup of peroxide.  They are mixed together. As I mixed them, on the pan, the mix started to clean before it was entirely mixed, it turned a beige color.  The white dot in the center is a small chunk of baking soda. 

The pan was left to sit for about 4 hours.  I think overnight would have been a better idea.  As I cleaned off the nearly dried mix, the clean underneath was amazing.   Give it a try, don't scrub, that would be too much like work.

The original 4 circles are from hamburger patties that I cooked in the oven for some unknown reason.  Who bakes hamburgers???  Well, it is an example of an experiment that was less than interesting.  After all, I have to test all sorts of things, don't I?

Finally, I want to express my sadness at the passing of Robin Williams.  He was not just a comedian, he was also a philanthropist, most notably to (IMHO) the St. Jude Research Hospital where he participated in commercials, the USO, Comic Relief and the Red Cross.

Then, he contrasted his work with extraordinary acting.  My personal favorite was One Hour Photo as a stalker.  What wonderful acting in an intense movie.

Robin's legacy may include humor and acting, but his greatest gift was a sacrifice beyond compare.  Someone you know is in pain, there can be few if any warning signs.  Reach out, you have no idea when your love will change someone, even the world.
RIP Robin

Comments (4) -

Just a note:  Tensions effect the top as well as the bottom thread.  What is being shown is the underside of the test(?)  

The Brother embroidery only machines, as one example, use 90 wt (weight) machine embroidery bobbin thread, which may not be as readily available as the more common 60 wt ME (Machine Embroidery) bobbin thread.   It may be possible to adjust the bobbin tension to accept the heavier weight bobbin thread....best to ask the service tech when the machine goes in for maintenance.

The height of the bobbin spool is as important as the correct weight bobbin thread.   Manuals for each machine will have a list of accessories that include the bobbin thread wt, bobbin spool size and their part numbers.   A picture that compares the correct and incorrect bobbin spools will also be in the manual.

Prewound bobbins are tempting, but may be too short in height.  A bobbin center pin will lift the shorter bobbin.  However, I would do tests using the prewound and center pin before doing the project.

Top thread:  Don't forget to have the presser foot up when threading.  This opens the top tension control for the thread to easily pass through this important function.   Once threaded, change or adjust the top tension with the presser foot down.

"Dear Heloise", I believe you are suppose to use the broiler pan for burgers in the oven and line the cookie sheet with parchment baking paper for cookies, rolls and biscuits.  LOL.

Nice graphics and good information. TY.

Have you noticed how much faster this site is with the new format?  I am delighted because I want to find my information/purchases/ideas quickly.  The Administration heard you ask for a faster site, and YOU got it!  

IMHO, AnnTheGran is the best embroidery site on the Internet.  It is not because I am a blogger here, it is because you can get specific help for your questions in the Forum and great information, tips and tricks here in the blogger section.  Additionally, specials and quality merchandise are always available, including designs (NO ONE has more freebies), supplies and tools.  

With all that combined, for one stop shopping, no one does it better!

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

Laughing!  Pattiann, I cannot remember why I ever would have 'cooked??' burgers in this manner.  It was an OLD stain.  When most of it disappeared, I was simply shocked.  I am going to try this on my stove top too.  It seems to me that the operative item was cream of tarter for the top of the stove. Using baking soda is so much cheaper.  

Next to having a cleaning service, I need all the tips and tricks I can find.

Anyone with more ideas?  Pat, The Avid Embroiderer