Put a Neckline on a Hemline!

We are excited to have Eileen Roche, Editor of Designs in Machine Embroidery share this content with you, which was originally posted on Eileen’s Machine Embroidery Blog : 

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

Uh? Put a neckline on a hemline? Well, kinda. I’ve been looking at the peek-a-boo transformation on Designer Necklines and wondered if I could use it to decorate something other than a neckline. After an aha! moment, I decided to try it on the hem of a sweatshirt. Look how easy it is.

First, remove the ribbing at the hem. Mark the side seam with a pin (if there isn’t a seam, just find the side of the shirt on both sides).

Hoop tear-away stabilizer. Stitch the peek-a-boo neckline from Designer Necklines on the stabilizer. Remove the hoop from the machine and draw a straight line at the bottom of the curved stitched neckline.

Spray the stabilizer with temporary adhesive. Turn the shirt inside out and place the hem edge on the straight line, matching the side seam to the short horizontal stitched line.

Reattach the hoop to the machine. Slip the bulk of the shirt over the head of the machine and tape the shirt to the top of the machine. Love that!

Stitch the decorative element.

Place a piece of facing fabric (knit, woven or interfacing), right side down over the embroidery. Stitch the final color, the peek-a-boo transformation.

Remove the hoop and carefully tear the sweatshirt away from the stabilizer. Cut the shirt between the V. Cut right up to the point of the V but do not snip the threads.

Sew about 1” from the hem.

Turn the facing to the inside and pin along the seam. Edgestitch.  Repeat for the other side seam, then hem the rest of the shirt. Add the same design to the neckline as instructed on the Designer Neckline DVD. Voila! A refashioned hemline!

Thanks for reading!

Reprinted with permission from Eileen's Blog.