The Avid Embroiderer Presents - My take on Fonts, Part 2, and a "Modern" Monogram Freebie

My take on Fonts, Part 2, See Part 1. 

After all the fonts available, you may also be interested in using your own creativity to work with words. 

Enter, Alphabet Xpress, a propietary software for machine embroidery writing*

Ann's Software Features five beautifully digitized fonts Included with the program are Jennifer, Nathaniel, Spring, Stonehouse, and Waltz. Formats:  PES, SEW, JEF, HUS, PCS, DST, XXX, EXP, SHV, VIP, VP3.

Ann's favorite fonts are available for additional purchase so you can build a personalized library at a nominal price of $29.99 and is occasionally on sale. They include 26 uppercase and lowercase letters, 0-9 numbers and symbols as well. 

With 50 fonts available, fill patterns with simple settings for height, spacing, and alignment make placement easy and more design options.

Features include:

• Resize and rotate all the text or each individual letter for a unique design.
  • 11 envelope shapes and circle features included adding dimension.
  • See your lettering in realistic 3-D and zoom in and out for a closer look.
  • Turn the grid and hoop view features on and off for a good visual of the finished product.
  • Change the color of your completed text using popular Madeira thread palettes.
  • Set the color of each individual letter or word using the tilde (~) feature, quick and easy!
  • Quick buttons for unlimited undo and redo.
  • Feature for merging designs for expanded creative options.
  • Watch your completed creation sew out right on screen using slow draw.
  • Print full-size templates to aid in the placement of designs on your fabric.
  • Save your design in the best embroidery format for your machine.

Additionally, Alphabet Xpress software gives you the minimum and maximum for sizes for each group of fonts. Along the way, most of us have had failures, especially when we want a font to be large, sometimes there are very thin stitching areas that did NOT show up as we were assembling our design. Very small fonts, if not carefully calibrated by the digitizer may be 'cast-iron' aka, 'bulletproof' and unreadable.

TrueType is an outline font standard developed by Apple in the late 1980s. (Really? is it that recent??) It has become the most common format for fonts on the classic Mac OS, macOS, and Microsoft Windows operating systems. The primary strength of TrueType was originally that it offered font developers a high degree of control over precisely how their fonts are displayed, right down to particular pixels, at various font sizes. 

Here are a couple of samples (monograms not included). 

Your Freebie for this blog is a different take on Monogram Designs. You certainly can use any of the designs that have been used for, sometimes, hundreds of years. I think that a 'centered' and 'proper' monogram design is great but it is time to see a monogram differently. 

Instead of using just initials, consider the name its self. However you want to say "Mr & Mrs Jones" or "Jean & Jared Smith." or even "Snookims & Bubba." 

Hope you like my design. I am an artist wantabe but keep trying anyway. Be thankful for this new day, you have never seen it before. 

*Proprietary software is any software that is copyrighted and bears limits against use, distribution, and modification that are imposed by its publisher, vendor, or developer. Proprietary software remains the property of its owner/creator and is used by end-users/organizations under predefined conditions.