Triple Layer Applique? Easy As Can Be!

Standard applique is one thing. Even separate applique designs in multiple areas isn't too bad. But adding three layers of applique fabric? It's really easier than it looks and get the design for only 80 cents for a limited time!

This project was first featured in Volume 106 of Designs in Machine Embroidery magazine. I used the Purple Applique Flower Design from BunnyCup Embroidery and added it to a pre-purchased placemat.

Opening the design in Embrilliance shows color stops 1-6 as the placement and tack-downs for each of the three appliques.

Left, color stop 1 shows where to place the first (bottom) applique fabric. Right, the tack-down (color stop 2).

The fabric is trimmed close to the tack-down stitches, left. I chose to not cut out the inside area and keep the first applique layer all one piece since it would be covered by subsequent layers of fabric. Doing that on a lighter fabric may add bulk, but the placemat was a heavy, woven piece that easily supported the extra fabric.

You can run the second placement stitch, but I placed the second fabric based on the first layer's tack-down stitch.The second fabric gets tacked down, right.

Trim the second fabric, left. Once again, I left the inside fabric intact and used the tack-down for the second layer as the placement stitching for the third fabric. At right, the tack-down for the third fabric.

Trim the third fabric, left, and finish stitching. I decided to not stitch the fill stitches for the center of the flower, keeping only the satin-stitched circle.

Finish stitching the final satin stitching for the three appliques. Since the back of the placemat could be seen, I used the same color of thread in the bobbin as that with which I was satin stitching. I also used a water-soluble fabric-type stabilizer so that there would not be any stabilizer "hairs" showing in the applique edge stitches.

What is the most layers of fabric that you have used on any one applique?

Debbie SewBlest