People I meet and why they are hip to the possibilities of sewing…

In today's office environment  the more popular method of communication is email but when my phone rings I can almost guarantee that I will be hearing from someone who is completely enthralled by sewing and wants to tell more people about what is happening in the world of sewing in their neck of the woods.  It is a good thing that so many people are thinking about lots of new ways to tell their friends about what some people think is a lost art. To think of sewing as a lost art all I can say is "bologna." 

Recently I heard from Sophie Uliano.  As an avid reader of the New York Times Book Review, I happened to know who she was because she has a best seller, "Gorgeously Green". Honest. Sophie has a web site called www.gorgeouslygreen.com and suffice it to say....she likes to think about the environment, doing yoga and being a parent.

Sophie had done her research and she wanted to let me know that she was going to feature the Brother CS6000i in her next book about ecofriendly crafts and tools to make them.  It was a happy moment for me when Sophie told me that all the research that she had done pointed to this machine as a great model for people who want to get into or back to sewing.  Having used this machine on an appearance on the Home Shopping Network, I couldn't agree more.  Great machine, great value.  If you would like to buy this machine for yourself or as a gift for someone this holiday season, you can buying it online when you visit the Brother product list.

Not long after I heard from Sophie, I was hearing about Wendy Berglass, owner of Sew Fun Parties.   A friend from the thread industry happened by Wendy's store in the Charlotte, NC suburb of Matthews and then emailed me to show me this photo of a class full of Brother sewing machines. It is such a great photo that I just had to share it with you.

The next thing you know Wendy called me.  Wendy is so excited about how popular her sewing parties are that she is coming to visit me at Thanksgiving to show me photos and tell me more about how she runs her shop and what projects the students make with the Brother CS6000i machine.  It seems that Wendy has bought all of these machines from a popular on-line retailer and in turn many of her students have also bought the same machines.  Another nice compliment for Brother and great sewing machine.

Adina Levin calls herself an "ideator."

Adina is the co-owner of a "idea loft" in New York City.  In this unique spot folks and teachers are gathering to share new ideas for old items.  Adina recently told my friend George about how she will be partnering the highly successful robotic team at Stuyvesant High School in NYC with adult students at her lab in the first part of 2010.  An exercise in what most people would see as role reversal,  the adult students were learning from the teenage teachers.  To see more about her concept you can visit www.collab-orators.com.  Adina gathers students of all ages who want to learn more about sewing and up cycling for fun workshops. For those of you who clicked on the hyperlink for Collab-orators you had to have noticed the intriguing look of the huge loft that holds this think tank in NYC.  The wood was up cycled barn wood brought down from a farm in upstate New York. Adina is a social networker and all I can say is that her enthusiasm for sewing is exciting. Adina also particpates in webinars on www.thedailygreen.com. Adina and I will be meeting at her loft in the near future. 

Next week I will be headed to St. Louis, Missouri to work with Allyce King of DIY-Style.  I can't wait to see how this recent fashion school grad is teaching other people how much fun it can be to sew. 

Just had to share this photo of Halloween at our son's home in Aurora, Co.  A week later the other son visited with his family and they were wearing shorts in 80 degree weather. 

By for now!

June

Comments (1) -

thecomputerist 11/14/2009 1:45:49 PM

Your blogs are always so full of . . . great things!  

My late mother used the word "baloney" and that alwasy meant she was really mad!  It made me smile to see you use it.  

That pumpkin is the funniest thing I have seen recently.  

Best wishes to you and yours, Pat