Piggyback Hooping

Individual characters (letters, numbers and punctuation marks) from my alph [More]

The last Minute-Addendum

As you can see, I found the gaggle of travel drives and software security devices that I THOUGHT I had inadvertently left at home when I flew to Kentucky last week. Of course, as soon as I get home, the first place I went was to the computer bag from which I had transferred my laptop for travel. I f... [More]

Off The Beaten Path

Hi Everyone, I hope you all enjoyed the writings about thread, I do realize that it was a little intense. So I decided to keep it light this time and give you some fun things to ponder. I know some or most of you know that I was a bit "out of touch" these past days. I suddenly realized th... [More]

LaRueSews-Quilting-Quarter Inches to Heirlooms.

To begin this time, I want to relate a very “telling” experience.  This experience told me that you very well can become a really good quilter if only you practice, practice, practice.  My husband and I went to my daughter’s house last weekend to attend our grand daughter... [More]

June from Brother - Tone-on-Tone Designs & Hole-Punching on the Quattro

Not sure where the last two weeks have gone but it seems like it is time to check in with you all,  again.  I have recently been to Des Moines, Iowa for two reasons.  The first was so I could film a video for a new feature on www.allpeoplequilt.com (part of Better Homes and Gardens) a... [More]

If it weren’t for the last minute I’d never get anything done.

Well, this is a first for me. I’ve frequently thought that if I didn’t get something finished before leaving on a trip I could do it in the airport or on the plane, but I’ve never actually done it. Until today.  As we were leaving for the airport I turned to Bill and said, &ld... [More]

The Spool Mini-Series Part 2, The Condensed Edition!

Hello Happy Stitcher's!   I am going to cut right to the chase here today, as I have been wading through 35 pages of information on thread!  Yes 35 pages!  I understand, Wow! So I am going to give you some things you will likely want to print out and ... [More]

LaRueSews-Quilts, More on fabrics and color

As I start this out today, there are so many things Zinging around in my head, it’s hard to tell which way this edition of LaRueSews will go. I’ve heard writers say that sometimes they start out with just an idea and then just let it roll. I think I’ll tell you a bit about the qui... [More]

Gift-Giving Journey #2 - Something For the Neighbor

I have had it in my head for weeks what I wanted to do this week on the blog.  But, as many of you can probably relate, I backed myself into a corner with my schedule and wasn’t able to create the vision I had in my head.  I’m right in the middle of two of my busiest weeks of t... [More]

Next on Your Safari - Gorgeous Giraffes

TALL , GRACEFUL AND ELEGANT- GIRAFFES The Giraffe, the tallest animal in Africa is both elegant and graceful. Its height allows it to keep in contact with other giraffes over large distances as well as spotting predators from afar. It is not uncommon to see other animals following a giraffe using i... [More]

June from Brother - More Quattro Magic

Hello there folks…. I am sitting here in my sewing room, yes I do have one and just so you feel better I can tell you that it is total disaster area at the moment.  I am actually sitting with my laptop on my ironing board and writing to you as my Quattro is humming along.  You migh... [More]

Crash Course Cathy - Locations of AnnTheGran Users Worldwide!

HELLO HELLO WORLD ME’ers!!!!! Here it is…HOT OFF THE PRESS….drum roll please……AnnTheGran MAP – Level 1 In a nutshell I’ve heard from ME’ers from 39 US states, 1 territory and 16 foreign countries so far. THANKS again for your input!!!... [More]

Create special Christmas Treasures with our 9 Santas Quik Quilt Book and CD!

We have found that by making our cross stitch designs the centerpiece of a quick-to-quilt piece, a lovely finished result is achieved. Many embroiderers also love to quilt, so combining the two “media” seemed like a natural! Cross Stitch designs, especially the small ones, can be use... [More]

My First Christmas Project - Stylish Cocktail Napkins

Hello everyone! I’m Susan from AllAboutBlanks.com and we work with the folks here at AnnTheGran.com to offer you some of our best-selling embroidery blanks right here on Ann's website.  What a nice surprise it was to be asked to participate in the world of blogging here at AnnThe... [More]

A Fall From Grace

Here it is, the second day of Fall, and it’s already cold in the mornings here in Orlando. By “cold” I mean 68° (20° C) which, for me here in Florida, is sweater weather.  It doesn’t usually cool off until the middle of November, so this is quite a treat ... [More]

The Spool Mini-Series

Hello all of you Happy Stitcher's! Wow, can you believe it? This is the 5th edition of this blog! It is hard for me to imagine that I have written 5 already! It sure doesn't seem like it at all. I guess that must mean I enjoy what I do and sharing this ... [More]

LaRueSew-Quilting-Design, You Can Do It!

Sometimes we quilters and ME's want to do what we want to do. We buy books with patterns made by somebody whose tastes are similar to ours, but we want to do it our way. How can I arrange my favorite quilt blocks in a new and different way without taking hours with graph paper, a ruler and color... [More]

MONKEYS AND OTHER ANIMALS YOU CAN EXPECT TO SEE ON SAFARI

Do you have your binoculars ready, camera and  hat? Remember, keep your hands inside the jeep. While on this visual African Safari  remember the animals are not in cages, do not pat or feed them and most importantly remember you are a guest in thier environment!   You can expect to ... [More]

Calling All Experts! - Help Us Expand the Magic Bookshelf

Everyone is an expert at something. This is something I have always believed, and continue to believe. Sometimes that expertise extends to a broad subject, like embroidery or cars or lawn bowling, and sometimes it's very specific, like telling "Knock-knock" jokes, or knowing how ... [More]

June From Brother - One other thing...

Not sure where someone got the idea that we are already making an upgrade for the new Quattro....not true!  Trust me, I would know.....I still reeling from what it took to get this one done.  Nite all!

June From Brother - This and That

Well ladies, there certainiy has been lots of discussion about what to pay for a machine.  I have to say once Brother sells the product to the dealer, it is up to the dealer to set a reasonable price. They do that based on many things.  The most important thing for all of you to remember w... [More]

The Thrill of Digitry and the Agony of the Foot

It seems like I’ve been away for a long time, even though it’s only been a couple of weeks since I’ve written. So, so much has happened. First of all, July-August is our family’s big birthday season. We have a couple of stragglers, the twins in October and t... [More]

Gizmos, Squissors, And Feed Dogs

You had all better put on a pot of coffee and grab a couple of danish for this folks!It is going to be a long one this time, I have so much to share with you! First I would like to start with a brief history lesson. Did you know that the first commercially successful sewing machine was bui... [More]

New Dream Machine From Brother

Hello! I am new to blogging, but there is no better time than now to jump online to tell you about the new machine that we at Brother have just introduced! If you haven’t already heard, our new top-of-the-line 'dream machine' was released a few weeks ago and it is truly a machi... [More]

LaRueSews - Quilting - BASIC TOOLS

Before I start to tell you about tools, I want you to know that I have been working on quilt projects that have been stacking up on me for years. The one I have done the most on is a quilt that goes back at least ten years. It is a scrap quilt that was a Guild project. It left me with ten blocks tha... [More]
The Devil is in the details

The Devil is in the details

Mom was right, the devil is in the details and he has had a devilishly good time with embroidery - - -

Just like any computer aided process, out thinking the required steps can be very challenging indeed.  If you figure out the stabilizer correctly, then the thread may be acting up.  If those are working correctly, the design may not be exactly perfect.  If everything so far is working - well you know what I mean.

I keep a list of tips and tricks that I find are necessary to help my recall.  Hmmm it may not be my recall, it could be my forgetfulness that is a culprit.  I have a notebook full of things and trying to keep them organized is a full time job in itself.  I do keep some of my best/most needed hints right at hand and I am happy that I have them.

You know, if you read my projects regularly, that I have a website that sells embroidered bridal items.  I have been seeing a significant increase in sales and gleefully say that the rest of the world may think the sky is falling, but two young people in love still believe in happily ever after.  God Bless Them!  Contrary to what you may hear in the way of statistics, they are still getting married and starting families with hope and excitement.  We who may be a little jaded could take a cue from that.

One of my most popular items is the hankies for brides to mothers-in-law (highest sales!!!), mothers, fathers-in-law, fathers and stepparents.  The hankies are not too expensive and they can convey the bride's thoughts or my own original sayings.  Just to brag just a little, here is my thought for a stepparent (either mother or father):

You came into my life
to protect and care for me.
You made my family whole
and I am delighted you are
here on my special day.

On to my 'sharing' information.  (Don't forget, I am not an expert, I just share what I learn from my projects!)

Doing those hankies has been a real challenge for a number of reasons; the most important to me is to have a finished project that is "Wedding Ready."  A bride wants to have the best for her special day and I agree that she should have the finest I can provide.  Getting to that finished project was more interesting than I expected.  After all, just fill in a few words, finish with "Love, Suzie (next line) January 31, 2020."  Right?  Well, not really.

First you must consider your fonts that you will be using for your items.  As you know, I really like the fonts in AlphabetXpress which is the pride of the company here at AnnTheGran.  You may not know that it was among the very first of its kind in the embroidery field.  It has lead the way to beautiful fonts all of the time.  Please do read my experience between my expensive (but aren't they all) machine and AlphaX in this blog.  I was really surprised that my machine did not do a better job of lettering than it did.  Additionally, I would have to input the words one line at a time which is really time consuming if I used the machine.  With AlphaX, all you have to do it type. . . . Even I can do that.  Keep in mind that the fewer words the better.  If you have a bride wanting to put a novel on her hankie, I discourage her.  It takes too much of my time and less is really more when thanking others.

I also use a 'quick type' software called Direct Access (DA).  What DA does is called 'macros' or creating a small program that I instruct it to do typing for me.  For instance, once I type something on my pc and if I know I will use it again and again, I simply tell DA what letters I want to use and DA will do the rest.  An example is if I wanted to give you a URL to one of my older blogs, I would input the address into DA (like the address for AlphabetXpress) and give it a short name (which is alphax) and when I type 'alphax' the computer puts in the correct URL for that site.  So instead of remembering that address, I just remember the code for it and I can give that URL 100 times a day without looking it up.  I do the same for whole paragraphs and pages of information.  The thought for the stepparent shown earlier is coded so I don't have to remember the worded AND I know that there are no typos or mistakes because I use it all the time as is.  It is a big time saver for me!

Back to the hankie. My most frequently requested font is Darling.  Darling is about the most versatile font I have ever found.  It is clean (no unnecessary swirls), easy to read (some are not!) and looks like handwriting.  This is a sample of Darling for a bride to her mother and my second most sold thought.

Here are the details of how I create a hankie that is Wedding Ready!

First I always use Heat Away stabilizer.  You may ask why I don't use a water soluble and that is logical, but I seek the best product for the best results with the least amount of work for me.  Water soluble is more work that heat away and time is money.  Just an FYI, I also use Hugo's Tape to hold the opened roll of stabilizer.  It is clear and sticks to itself.  I wrap it around the stabilizer and mark the name and end of it with a black permanent marker.  I know which stabilizer I am working with and it is easy to remove the tape, it does NOT leave any sort of mark of any kind.  And, Hugo's Amazing Tape (I agree with the name, it is Amazing) is used for hundreds of other things including wrapping all sorts of moving items without leaving any marks, keeps items clean (cover item), holds very snugly and you will find so many uses around the house.  You get a large roll and a very small one for bobbins.  You will LOVE it!

Using my 'self-healing' mat, I align my hoop, then my stabilizer, then my hankie.  It sounds like a lot, but getting wording on straight on a corner is important to the success of my project. These mats may be for quilters, but I use mine daily without fail.  It is my work area and it helps me keep the area clean.  If the mat is not clear, my sewing area is a mess.

I always do a baste stitch around my words for two reasons, #1, it shows me that I am centered, or not, on the hankie. Secondly, it holds the hankie down to the stabilizer without the use of adhesives.  If you want to put some glue on, spray it on the stabilizer. 

After the baste is complete, I remove the hoop to assure me of accuracy of the placement.  If it is not straight, it will show in the final sew out.  I adjust via the hoop all that I can but often must remove the hankie from the hoop.  That is starting all over again, and I try to avoid this if possible 

Another hint is to keep your wording width to as little as 5" or 12.5cm.  If you don't, you will need to use a larger hoop and there is no advantage to doing that.  It just costs you more money for a larger piece of stabilizer without adding any value to the project. 

Then I sew out my wording.  It is important to remember that a  well digitized font (AlphabetXpress!) will have a stop point (a couple of tack-down stitches) at the end of a letter and the beginning of the next letter.  That is really important and NOT all fonts have this feature. 

I take one last look at my project while it is still in the hoop.  Occasionally there will be a spot that needs to be redone and if you don't catch it now, you may have a ruined project.   If needed, I will start with the back of the words to remove stitches and only use my tweezers on the front.  This helps to avoid cutting your fabric because the stabilizer is still in place.

Next, I remove the baste stitching.  I do start on the back and clip the 4 corners and remove the thread.  The top thread will then be only laying on the fabric.

Remove as much of the stabilizer as is practical.  Be careful not to damage the stitching.

BUT,  to start removing the jump stitches between words and some letters, you MUST start on the front.  Carefully remove the jump from right to left or vice versa as you please.  I leave about 1mm on each side to keep the letters in place.  I have ruined projects by cutting the back first and on both sides of the jump on the back as well as the front.   That is a big mistake because a letter can unstitch with this method.  First, cut the jumps on the front using two cuts.  After all the jumps are done, do a single cut in the middle of the jump on the back.  Doing so will assure that your stitching will stay put. 

When you are cutting, you will see and/or feel the fabric relaxing.  That will eliminate most of the puckering you may experience from the letters.

Don't forget to carefully cut the 'i' and that is really a tender spot!  You will make two cuts on the front and a single on the back and since there is so little room to work, this should be done with excellent lighting and very precisely. Making the letters look good are the job of both the digitizer and the embroiderer.  AlphabetXpress does a great job with this task. 

After all cuts are make, I hold up the hankie to a good light to see if there is anything hanging around that I want to remove.  I also lay it flat on a clipboard and look at it as if it were the horizon.  You may see things you did not see before and make adjustments at this time.

Next, making sure you have turned off your steam on your iron, dry iron the heat away according to the manufacturer's suggestions.  At first you will feel like you are ruining the hankie, the iron or both.  However, you will get some very small plastic balls that you merely need wipe away to a trash receptacle.  We are nearly done. . . .

Lastly, and this is one of those delightful moments that I love, using a spray of Mary Ellen's Best Press tops the hankie off beautifully!  It gives your hankie the look of being pressed at the dry cleaners.  If you love that crisp look, the Best Press is something you will use for many things.  It is beautiful on your heirloom linens, cotton shirts and anything you want to look especially nice.  It is excellent! 

I place my project into my wedding envelopes and it is sent off for the bride to give without any further tasks for her to do.  I like to put it in upside down so when you take it out, there is a surprise!

It is really Wedding Ready and the Devil does his dirty work somewhere else.

You can see that the details of this hankie are demanding whereas a tote or t-shirt embroidery is a little more forgiving.  But, I love doing this and feel great satisfaction from a beautiful job well done.

Comments (8) -

cherrylmaree 6/25/2011 10:57:05 AM

Very helpful and well explained...thank you very much.

I loved the poems . very pretty gift's.

susiesembroidery 6/25/2011 1:25:49 PM

Thank you. I do hankies for some of the older ladies at the retirement home. Hopefully I will be able to buy the heat away here in Durban, South Africa. It seems to be the answer. Susie.

Thank you for all the comments.  I use the heat away to save time for my business.  You can also use the water soluble if that is all that is available.

However, embroidery is changing so fast and new items are coming on the market all the time.  Watch for it, it is a real time and labor saver.

Bless you for doing hankies for those ladies.  I wish cotton hankies would make a come back, tissues are fine when you have something that is spreadable, but a cotton tissue is best for a million reasons.  

Pat

Where can I buy that beautiful font DARLING and can it be used with AlphabetXpress?

Hello whipplep!  The Darling font is an AlphabetXpress font.  It is here:  www.annthegran.com/Product.aspx?t=1&i=29256">www.annthegran.com/Product.aspx

The Darling is such a great font, you can see my comparison here:  www.annthegran.com/.../...s-tip-2-merge-files.aspx">www.annthegran.com/.../...s-tip-2-merge-files.aspx

AlphabetXpress is an excellent and well priced - font creator!

Pat

mernquilting 7/3/2011 6:13:40 PM

I appreciate your detailed  instructions plus the photos of how you did things.  Last Sunday we had a Baptism and I made 50 Linen/Cotton Blend Napkins for everybody invited.  My Sewing Store told me "not to wash the fabric first, because they would only be used once.  The other store partner told me to use Aqua Magic as a stabilizer and I would not have the hassle of using the tear away, and distorting the emb. on the napkins.  Because of the aqua magic, when they were finished and serged around the 4 sides, I then threw them in the washer on Gentle and used damp dry in the dryer.   Having being introduced to Mary Ellen's Best Press, I used it as I was ironing dry all 50 napkins  They looked 'store bought' when I was finished and me being the godmother of the baby;s mom, I then threw in a small bottle of it for the mother to use when the party was over.  I got a call the next day from the new grandmother and she told me that they were very impressed with how all the stains came out and then ironed with the Best Press.  Oh yes, I went to another store and bought a plastic wove basket and then made a wrap in muslin, about 36" Sq. which I put in the basket with the 4 corners embroidered with 'Soiled " in 2 corners and 'Go Green" on the other 2 corners.

It is from 'Show and Tell' that feed my appetite for embroidery. Having being taught in the ole school, I really appreciate all the help that I gleen from everybody.

Mary

Thank you so much Mary for your input.  

I love hearing that others are successful and how they handled the situation.

I don't know if I want to iron 50 napkins!  That is why I switched from a water soluble to heat away.  I still have to iron, but not from a damp item.  

Great idea about the basket!!!

Pat