The Thread That Binds Us

I have been blessed with a wonderful mother. She is not only a great role model but also the kindest [More]

Words of Wisdom!

As machine embroiderers we have opportunities to use our machines to create and embellish everything [More]

Jigsaw Puzzle Outlines

A customer suggested that I provide puzzle outlines so that she could add h [More]

Put a Neckline on a Hemline!

We are excited to have Eileen Roche, Editor of Designs in Machine Embroidery share this content with [More]

EMB 101: Thread

Part of the beauty of embroidery is the gorgeous assortment of threads available. With so ma [More]

Easier Christmas Cookies!

It is almost the "Most Wonderful Time of the Year!" Remember this Christmas cookie tutorial? [More]

Thoughts to Ponder

We are excited to have Eileen Roche, Editor of Designs in Machine Embroidery share this content with you. [More]

EMB 101: Stabilizers

Stabilizers can be quite challenging but they really don’t have to be. Here is an overview to help w [More]
Christmas Stocking Embroidery

Christmas Stocking Embroidery

Christmas season always brings requests for embroidering names on stockings. This may make you wish that you could crawl into a cave and hibernate with the bears until Spring! Yet stockings can be conquered and in doing so, you bring happiness and create heirlooms. For this reason, I have always tried to fulfill these requests. Narrow-top stockings may seem impossible, but the first thing to try is to turn the stocking inside out and adhere it to a base of self-adhesive stabilizer. You may also need to use pins to help secure it.

All stockings have their own challenges, but one thing that you should always do on any stocking - mark it.  When I say mark it, I mean for position and direction of the embroidery. Some stockings have cuffs and some don't.  To avoid becoming confused about the orientation of the embroidery, place a piece of masking or painter's tape on a straight line, and mark an arrow pointing in the direction of the top of the embroidery. You could also use a target sticker, which include an arrow already printed on them. Target stickers are included in the Perfect Placement Kit, that I created along with Eileen Roche.

Some stockings have furry cuffs that can bury your embroidery. Of course you will want to use a water-soluble topping, but when it has been removed the fur still creeps back on top of the embroidery. To make the embroidery stand out, use a Peggy's Stitch Eraser to gently sculpt around the stitching. Don't try to shave the fur bedfore applying embroidery - rather carve around the lettering or design after embroidery has been applied.

To make stocking embroidery really easy, you can buy stockings made especially for embroidery. With a zipper hidden along the side, they open for easy embroidery on the cuff and even the body or toe of the stocking. The soft but low pile makes embroidery easy. Check them out at www.myembroiderymentor.com

Comments (3) -

I like the idea of sculpting the fur, that makes good sense.  Thanks for sharing that!

Pat

Sculpting the fur sounds like a good idea, I was just wondering if puffy foam would work?

I like the idea of sculpting the fur also. I have to get going on them. You know how it is, putting it off till it is almost too late, and I have to mail some this year.