Grandchildren, gotta love 'em!

Here it is July already. Where in the world has the year gone? One place it went was lickedy split right by me and until today I hadn't seen any of my grandchildren since Christmas, two of them since before Christmas. But today was delicious. DD's 3 oldest are in Florida for the month with their father and he dropped them here today. Tomorrow we're taking off for Tallahassee with the 3 of them to celebrate the 4th on my sister's boat and to visit my mother who lives in an assisted living residence close to my sister. Later my son's two were dropped off my their mother and my son joined us for pizza festivities in the evening before taking his to home. After they had left I looked at Bill and said "They didn't use to take up so much space!" He replied, "We're blessed, arent't we?" Oh, yes indeed.

Those of you who have been with me from the beginning will remember my daughter's twins. They were born at the same time as AnnTheGran's Design exchange. I've taken care of the first 5 grands from the time they were born until the time they started "real" school. When the twins were born I was caring for my son's two and my daughter's little boy. Because Jen was home on maternity leave I had only two to care for and had the time to get that first little page online. When the girls arrived for their first day in Grandma's Day Care their oldest cousin had begun pre-K at an all day charter school, so I had only the four. (Only!) And so it went, as the years flew by and the older children left for "real" school until I was left with only the twins. And then, in 2001, the unthinkable! My daughter and her family moved to Kentucky, a day and a half's drive away. She compounded the audacity by having another baby. In another state. Sixteen hours away. And sent him to day care. (DD is a middle school teacher.)

The upshot of this is that, although today was deleriously joyful (and long and tiring!) I still have one grandchild I haven't seen since Christmas. So, on Thursday I'm leaving on a jet plane to spend a few days with him, and DD and DSIL, of course. Grandmas's should NOT have to go 6 months without hugging their grandchildren. That's just wrong.

As you an imagine, machine embroidery has not been forefront in my mind the past few days. I don't want to leave you in the lurch without an embroidery fix, so I've uploaded the printable PDF file for a little project that I created a while back. You can download the design files and the instructions here. I hope you have some fun with it and it gives you some ideas for free standing embroidery projects of your own.

To answer JanMcKinstry's question, "What is a pocket full of loonies and toonies?" Loonie is the nickname for the Canadian $1 coin. I'm sure that nickname came about because there's a picture of a loon on the back of the coin. Toonie is the nickname for the Canadian $2 coin, I guess because it's two dollars and the word rhymes with loonie. 

mattersoftheart comments, in reply to my blog about the way I, personally, hoop towels, that she's tried everything and can's seem to get the towel to soften up. It really does take a warm scrub in the washing machine to wash and rinse it all out. Sometimes more than one wash. Don't use a heavy wash away, like Romeo which is more for lace and other free standing projects,but a light weight topping. Let me know how you fare. 

I'm going to hit the sack. We have a long day tomorrow, haven't even begun to think about packing. Y'all have a safe and happy-end. TTYL,

Ann 

Comments (23) -

I am so glad that you are getting to enjoy your grandchildren.  You are an inspiration to all us grannys.  I have the joy of teaching my granddaughter to sew.  She loves the feel of fabric and loves to go through the fabric store just touching and imagining.  Yesterday I let her watch my embroidery unit sew her name on a piece of cloth.  One step at a time, right?  By the way she is nine years old and has been sewing for three years.

sewingnana93 7/5/2008 12:19:13 PM

Aren't Grandchhildren wonderful.  I have 12 and we visit and spend time together as often as we can.  I have a 9 year old one that lives close to me and I have been teaching her to sew and she loves it.  I have been helping her make flip flop pillows for her friends.  I am so glad she likes to sew.Another one ,a seven year old I taught to crochet .If Children show an interest at all we should encourage them.   Faye

beckeagle89 7/5/2008 12:19:26 PM

Grandkids!! Wonderful! I am a young grandma and still have trouble keeping up with all 6 of them when we are blessed to be together.  My oldest and the 2 middle girls love to sit beside of me and watch me stitch on my machine and feel everything when I'm done. I have already bought one of those little machines from Walmart to have to them practice on to hopefully be interested in more when they get older to teach! Thank you for letting me drop in, I'm new to your blog and your to embroidery. Still learing and try to take in as much as possible from all!! God Belss

I Ann,

I'm Cristina and I write to Italy...

I don't speak English very well, but I'm very happy to read your mail.

This week I would like realized some designes...

See you later...

Ann,

You deserve some time off with the kids. Every one of the kids are so cute! I love your scrapbook pages, too!

Enjoy the time with them, take LOTS of pictures and we'll be here waiting to hear about your adventures when you get back!

Rosie

we2areunchained 7/5/2008 2:37:12 PM

Hi Ann.

It's good to have visits from the grandkids.  I have 3 and they are wonderful.  I have to admit that I have not been doing anything with my embroidery machine because we've just moved and with unpacking and painting and on and on, fun things have had to sit on the back burner for a while.  Bad part is that those 3 grandkids of mine will be looking for special free standing lace ornaments this year to put on their Christmas trees, so I have to get busy.  Your blogs are a great way for me to get recharged.  Thanks.  Angie

We are watching two of the youngest this week,

Tyler (2) and Hayle (4)....it sure will be "Grand" but I am sure we will be exhausted as well,.  I love to embroider things for them, and so doe Grandpa.  He just embroidered a shirt for Tyler with a hockey placer on it and a Number 5 on the back....Spoiled grandchildren...no such thing.

Hope everyone enjoys the 4th weekend..be safe.

tourlady522 7/5/2008 3:39:05 PM

Have a great time visiting with those grandkids. I spend as much time as I can with mine in the summer because I do not get to see them in the winter while I am in Florida.

Love to see the pictures of them too.

thanks ann for the emails.love reading the blogs

This blog is a thoughtful reminder of what family really is to all of us.

I have 6.6 Grandchildren.  Baby Girl due in November.  No name yet.  She might be called Baby Girl for a long time!

Great Blog!

Pat

rosarypark 7/6/2008 2:45:21 AM

I am having my 1 & only granddaughter tomorrow for the day as her parents are both working & she is on winter holidays. Same as you six moths is too long for grand kid cuddles I haven't seen her for 5 weeks & that seems forever . So enjoy & we will all understaned Me not being top priority.

kimyhopkins 7/6/2008 8:24:45 AM

Ann this is the first time I get to read your blog since needles to say I regret not reding it earlier.

Your family is beautiful. God Bless you.

ceramickids 7/6/2008 4:52:31 PM

You have a beautiful family, May God Bless You and your family,  Also Thank You for sharing with us !!

Ann:

I hope you had a fantastic 4th.  We spent our day with our two grandchildren and had a blast.  We are so blessed to have them close by and see them often.  I know you were missing yours alot when we were all at CC in Orlando.

Being a grandparent is the most wonderful thing in the world.  I have four. My son has sons ages 13 &11 and my daughter has girls ags 16 and 13.  I only get to see the boys once a year as they recently moved from NY state to Houston, Tx and I dislike flying. Enjoy very minute you have with them, live is too short especially if you married late and then my children married late.  ENJOY   IKKAR4U

I DO NOT KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE NOT TO HAVE MY GRANDKIDS AROUND ME EXCEPT FOR THE OLDEST. HE IS 21 AND IN THE MARINES.  HIS BROTHER JUST GRADUATED HIGH SCHOOL AND WILL BE GOING TO COLLEGE BUT ONLY ABOUT 30 MILES AWAY. MY 2 GRAND DAUGHTERS LIVE IN THE SAME TOWN AS ME. 13 AND 10. EMBROIDERY HAS NOT BEEN ON MY AGENDA LATELY EITHER. ENJOY THOSE BABIES WHILE THEY ARE LITTLE.

I am not sure if this is where I should ask this question as I am very new to this.  I just downloaded the trial of CatalogExpress and it looks fabulous!  I am a novice ME so I have a question that seems silly, but I have been adding everything to my card and it is moving really slow.  In looking at this software, it seems I should have another place to store designs and move as needed to my card.  Am I on the right track?  If this is not where I should ask the question, please forgive me and point me in the right direction.  Many thanks, Billie

I loved your article on your grandchildren. We lived 45 minutes from our two, Ally (3)and Jack (1) until 3 weeks ago when we relocated to Germany for 3 years. It is heartwrenching to not see them a couple of times a week. Thank goodness for the SKYPE network and webcams on-line. I don't know what parents do or did without it years ago. I at least can see them everyday and they love performing on the camera. Thanks for such a great blog.

Wow! You were busy, I know. I have 8, 6 girls - 2 boys, ages 18 yrs. down to 2 mos. I am really blessed because they are all within 10 min. of my house. As for a full house, I can really identify. When they all come there are 18 of us and usually more because the grand-young-uns bring friends. See them often.

The only interest they have in sewing right now is what I make for them. Prom dresses, loveys, etc.  I am loving your website to the max this summer. So many designs, so little time. I work in a school during the school year so summer is my main sewing time. You and all the ladies who contribute are an inspiration.

littledick 7/8/2008 4:38:33 PM

hi ann hope you hade nice time with kids i was at a wedding on the 4th here in scotland and it was great

Have a wonderful time with the grandbabies.  Not to put salt in your wound Smile my 5 grandchildren live just 10 mils away and I don't like to go even 6 days without a hug.  Grandchildren are what makes ME fun for me

Hope to see you on the 19th

Marsha

franklyswedish 7/12/2008 11:32:15 AM

Grandchildren are the greatest.  Mine are 12 hours away, so I show my love by sewing for them.  The Princess Book was the best project of all, connecting my granddaughter to her heritage (used jewels & fabric scraps from my mother & my children's childhood) and really taught me a lot about my machine.  I'm now making ME paperdolls (threaddolls?) for each child & sending an article of clothing each time I write.  Glad you had time with yours.         Nan the Gran

Hi Ann,

This is my first time reading the blog and trying to reply so i hope i get it right. I am very new to both computers and ME but I think I'm getting there! I know exactly how you feel about your grandchildren. I have 6 but 2 live in Canada and 2 in Ireland. It kills me that we don't get to hug more than once per year  - if I'm lucky. No amount of SKYPE , phone calls, e-mails or even plain old snail mail can compensate. Enjoy your visit

Doreen (South Africa)