Love Your Machine? Then Show It Some Love!

We are excited to have Eileen Roche, Editor of Designs in Machine Embroidery share this content with you, which was originally posted on Eileen’s Machine Embroidery Blog:   

Today’s embroidery machine are hi-tech honchos and we love them!  They run and run and barely ever whimper under the stress of all those hoopings. If you want to keep them humming along, then just follow three simple steps:  Keep them clean, use them and turn them off.

Keeping them clean is easy. Remove the plate.Clean1BL

Remove the bobbin case.Clean2BL

Fold a pipe cleaner about 2” from the end and wrap it around itself to create a soft point.Clean3BL

Use the soft point to swipe away dust from the feed dogs.Clean4BL

Bobbin basket. Clean5BL

And nooks and crannies.Clean6BL

Then shudder at the gunk that comes out of your machine.Clean7BL

This example is a machine long overdue for a cleaning. Don’t let your machine get this messy. I worked really hard to get this shot!

Reassemble all the parts and get back to stitching. Of course, read your manual. Manufacturers have different recommendations for everyday care. Many machines require a daily drop of oil while others leave the oiling to the professional technicians. It’s best to read the manual and FOLLOW the instructions.

Using your machine is good for your machine, you won’t wear it out. It was made to run and running them keeps them lubricated. Don’t be afraid of your machine – remember you own it; it doesn’t own you.

Lastly, turn off your machines when it’s not in use. It’s a good idea to unplug them. I have to admit, I don’t unplug them all the time but when there are thunderstorms in the area or if I’m leaving town, I pull the plug on all of my machines. It’s peace of mind.

How do you care for your machine?

Thanks for reading!

Reprinted with permission from Eileen's Blog.