The Avid Embroiderer Presents - Satin is a winner for all occasions. A Freebie you will share with a Friend!

I was able to take a 5-day vacation in Lake Forest, Illinois. This very beautiful city is my son's home that he too loves. Since I live in Arizona now, I was wide-eyed at all the greenery that makes up the whole area. 

After a Newbie has some practice, looking at fabrics that are a little more interesting can be tackled. For instance, slippery, shiny satin types are suitable for so many projects. You can use it as the whole background or use an outline portion of your design, place it before stitching, and with a little trimming, you have a bright spot in your design.

(Green indicates specific instructions for Embroidery.) 

For Satin projects, the best stabilizer choice would be a clean tearaway. There is very little stability in the satin itself, you may want to use 2 layers of the tearaway. Remember that satin stains easily by water or adhesives. I recommend placing a basting stitch a long stitch, around 10mm in length will work well. 

For my projects, I use a sharp needle size 75/11 on the satin. A larger needle will create holes ruining your design. A universal needle, often suggested by your dealer as an 'all-purpose needle,' can cause puckering. If you see puckering, you can add another layer of stabilizer, and float it on the bottom of your hoop. I usually pin that floater on its far edge to keep it from catching while stitching.

Satin & other very light fabrics work best if pressed, using a pressing cloth, before beginning. 

Hoop screws need to be very forgiving/loose before you place your fabric and stabilizer. Tighten up the screw without tightening too much. You might get a permanent crease from the hoops otherwise. 

Be careful when pulling the fabric from outside the hoop. First, flatten inside the hoop, then gently pull any bubbles that may be visible. 

When sewing is complete, gently remove the outside stabilizer. There may be a little 'fuzz' left outside the stitches. Leave them, they give an invisible 'drop off' between the design and outside satin. There will be no 'lumps.'

Press the project with the back side up. Use a pressing cloth again, allowing for the embroidery to stay on top of the fabric rather than sinking into it. 

Here is my Freebie. It has 15k stitches, so it is very quick to do. 

I hope you are having a good summer. As those of us know about inflation/gas prices, things do ebb & flow. And, just an FYI, you can Google "Global Inflation" and "Global Gas Prices." 

Enjoy the Freebie, it made me laugh out loud. We all can use that!