The Avid Embroiderer Presents - Troubleshooting, sigh. . . Your Freebie will be a go to item for a lot of projects.

You can ask Microsoft or Apple about the issue(s) of troubleshooting. They could each write a book, and their manuals show a lot of work. Alas, no one can predict each scenario and correct it in advance.

These are a couple of subjects that will and do happen to many of us. There are no 'totally inclusive' answers to events, but these will start to help you. (Also, the green words are specific embroidery hints/tips/directions.)

1.      Fabric shows some movement, usually up & down, but it can be left to right.

a.      This is generally called ‘flagging.’ Your fabric is flapping in the breeze, aka hoop. There are multiple causes.

b.      Poor hooping is a significant cause of this matter. Check these for ideas:

c.      Fabric is not taut enough. This one is a difficulty for newbies. It does take practice to know what "taut" actually means. That example is different for different fabrics.

d.      If you use felt, push your thumb/finger in the center of the fabric. You will see there is a LOT of 'give' there. Many instructors suggest using felt while you are learning. I personally believe this is not a true method to show what your projects will become. I avoid felt unless specific to my design. Get out all those scraps you are hoarding and use them.

e.      If you use denim, that is an entirely different story. Denim is strong, has no 'give' (unless it is a stretch fabric), and needs only a small amount of stabilizer. I use denim as my 'starter,' training fabric. It will give you a sense of accomplishment!

2.      The hoop is not sufficiently closing.

a.      Just like anything, hoops suffer from 'fatigue.'  The screw can be stripped. The sides can have some give.

b.      There could be minor chips or hairline fractures that are not necessarily obvious. Shop around for replacement hoops, the differences in prices are incredible. This investment will pay for itself, as projects don't get ruined by misalignment or slippage.

c.      Some 'experts' (I am not among those, but I do have ideas as food for thought.) Say that a bend needle can be the cause. A bent needle, or one that was not well made, is a hazard ready to happen. This one can create a projectile that is likely headed for your eye.

d.      You can place felt pieces to hold the hoops tightly.

Keep in mind that your experience may well differ from mine/experts/helpful friends. It is the devil in the details that we are trying to work against. 

Your manufacturer's User's Guide also has a section for "Troubleshooting." I always recommend that you keep your guide close to your machine. I believe it is advantageous to play around with your machine, use denim, and try simple designs already in your machine. When you have some knowledge under your belt, then get into reading the guide. If you are unfamiliar with the wording, it is difficult to understand what you are reading. 

Even if your machine is a few years old, you may well be surprised to find tips and tricks in the guide. 

My Freebie this time is an item for welcoming family and friends into your world. 

Embroiderers have a beautiful perspective on life. Thank you for joining me.