FREE: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote on Sky Drive and Catalog Xpress Tip #6 Multiple Sorting

It seems like it was very recent when we were learning computers, the Internet and cell phones.  I am on my sixth computer and I cannot remember how many cell phones I have had.  Change is inevitable; stand still and you will be run over.  Sky Drive, a program by Microsoft, is one o... [More]

Fancy Jumbles Diaper Changing Pad

Individual characters (letters, numbers and punctuation marks) from my alphabets canbe found on my Stock Design Page.  My designs are also available in packs, as described inthis blog.  Those can be found here.  For designs and packs available in multiple size... [More]

Keeping It Simple Embroidered Magnet Mania

Kids love to display their art on the fridge.  Adults too seem to stick up lists, reminders and notices where they can be easily accessed..  So, many marketers send information to us printed on these soft magnets in hopes that we will put them in this often viewed place in our homes.  ... [More]

Freebies, Dead Links and a Puzzle, and Catalog Xpress Tip #5, Recoloring and Backgrounds

If you have been online more than 1 week, you probably have a lot of "Favorites" or "Bookmarks" that you have accumulated.  I am a collector of links.  If I think I may be interested in something, but don't have the time at the moment and I create a Favorite. Beca... [More]

Keeping It Simple - Big Kid Hooded Towels

The girls are growing fast.  They love their baby towels with the hoods but are outgrowing them now.  When they complained about being cold after their bath the other night mom and I decided to make them larger "big girl" hooded towels for Christmas.  Then we remembered that... [More]

Free Artwork Software and Catalog Xpress, Tip #4, Conversions.

Drawing and designing is usually limited to those who have talent, I am not included in that group.  However, I did find a method of creating interesting designs that is fun and amusing for me.  I hope you like it too. Livebrush, is a fun way to create some interesting effects.  If y... [More]

Summer is super busy with African Folklore Embroidery

It was such an honor being invited by the South African consulate to exhibit my art-quilt, BEADED AFRICAN VILLAGE, for the hosting of the final game of the world cup soccer.  I got to meet and spent time with the delightful Vice Consul general as well as other African consulate members who were... [More]

Keeping It Simple - Sewing for Sunday

It has been a busy couple of weeks.  Our youngest has a baby girl now overdue.  But for several weeks she was put on bed rest - mostly due to extreme swelling.  So the rest of the family shared taking care of the other two (five years and two years old).  We kept them at our hous... [More]

Free Taskbar Calendar and Catalog Xpress Tip #3, Resize

This is absolutely my favorite computer clock and it includes a calendar!!!  I am not happy with a calendar that is on my desktop because it seems like it is always in the way.  In the Taskbar (lower right hand corner of most screens) is perfect because it shows me the day of the week, dat... [More]

Wedding Handkerchiefs - Stitch Out and Touch Someone

It's summer and wedding season is in full swing! I still get lots of requests to make keepsake wedding handkerchiefs. These are very personal and are the very best gift for the bride or groom to give to the special people in their life on the special day. Many people like to give them at th... [More]

South Africa, soccer, art and culture.... African Folklore Embroidery Exhibition and Competitions

In the next few weeks’ world attention will be focused on South Africa as a million visitors arrive for the FIFA 2010 world cup soccer. Not since the release of Nelson Mandela in February 1990 has so much attention been given to this country of forty-eight million people at the southern tip of... [More]

Keeping It Simple- Lampshade Makeovers

Our oldest grandaughter is getting a new room.  This has been in process for some time since her parents are updating their house at the same time.  So new trim, new doors and flooring were needed as well as paint and décor.  Papa will paint the trim next week end and... [More]

Hanging Zipper Caddy

Individual characters (letters, numbers and punctuation marks) from my alph [More]

Great Photography and Catalog Xpress Tip #2, Search

If you enjoy good photography as much as I do, you will love this freebie.  National Geographic is one of the most outstanding photographic presenters of the world and I believe it will remain so for eternity.  Others may come and go, but some things are enduring.  Check this ... [More]

The Ultimate Baby Basket

Hello Fellow Embroidery Lovers!I am so excited to be writing my first blog entry at an Institution among us long-time embroiderers – annthegran. I have known Ann for many years and I can tell you that she is the real deal – what a treasure she has been to all of us who love embroidery a... [More]

Brother wins another award for innovative product design!

Dear Friends, It surely has been a long time since I have blogged but I did want to share the story of this very prestigious award that Brother has recently received....in the name of a wonderful sewing machine and it's very innovative features.... BROTHER INDUSTRIES, LTD. RECEIVES INTERN... [More]

LaRueSews-Quilts-All Wrapped up

LaRueSews-All Wrapped up Writing this BLOG for Ann the Gran.com has been one of the most rewarding experiences I’ve ever had.  It has taught me that I can expand myself and my knowledge far beyond the things I have done before.  I have learned that I am indeed a writer, if given a t... [More]

Keeping It Simple - Barrette and Band Holders

Girly Girls! They love to primp at even the youngest ages.  Our five year old granddaughter loves makeup, jewelry, nail polish and curly hair.  Of course she has the straightest hair imaginable and no matter how much of that holding gel you use the curls never last more than ten minut... [More]

An African Bird Safari

Any one up for a Bird Safari... introducing the SANUFU BIRD,Roosters and chickens... Bring your binoculars.... South Africa has a large and varied bird population. Over 3 000 birds (and small animals) of 400 different species are uniquely presented in more than 100 spacious landscaped walk t... [More]

Puzzles and Catalog Xpress Tip #1, Notes

I recently read somewhere that in order to keep our brain fresh and vibrant, it is important to exercise it the same way that we exercise our body.  That exercise includes doing the embroidery we all love, but it can also include games, puzzles, as well as the everyday issues we face.  Tod... [More]

Don’t Be Afraid of Pillows! *Beautiful Hemstitched Boudoir Shams*

Greetings to all! In my travels I get to visit with customers who love to sew and embroider as much as I do.  I try hard to listen to what people are wanting and asking for, and what they need help with most.  I'm always surprised at how many experienced embroiderers are afraid to sti... [More]
Freestanding GlitterFlex Valentine

Freestanding GlitterFlex Valentine

Add some shimmer and shine to this applique Valentine. You can whip it up at the last minute and the design is half-off!

With three layers, there is a lot of potential for stitching up some beautiful Valentines. I used Stacked Applique Hearts from Amazing Designs and made the middle layer shimmery GlitterFlex Ultra pink.

For freestanding (stand alone) applique, hoop fabric-type water-soluble stabilizer.

The first color stop is the placement stitch. That shows you where to place your bottom layer of fabric.

If you need a refresher on applique, check out this video!

Place your fabric on the stabilizer and stitch the next color stop to tack it down. You can use temporary spray adhesive or glue stick. Normally, you would trim away excess fabric close to the tack-down stitch and then stitch the satin stitch edge, but I skipped the outside satin stitches until the end.

The next color will be a placement stitch for the center heart.

Peel your GlitterFlex protective carrier away. The GlitterFlex is very soft, like fabric, and the glitter does not shed. It can be laundered so works well on clothing, too.

Lay the GlitterFlex over the placement stitch and tack it down with the next thread stop. Trim the excess GlitterFlex close to the stitching line and fuse it in place according to the manufacturer’s instructions. The next stitch sequence creates a satin stitch around the outside edge.

Run the next placement and tackdown stitches for the center heart. Trim and stitch the satin stitch edge.

Add a layer of batting and a layer of fabric for the back of the heart to the back of the stabilizer. Hold in place with spray adhesive, tape, or SewTites.

Stitch the first tack-down stitch again to secure the batting and backing to the heart.

Trim front fabric, back fabric, and batting to the tack-down stitching. Trim stabilizer close to the embroidery and wipe away the edges with a wet cloth. Share some love!

Debbie SewBlest