The Avid Embroiderer Presents - What color is blue? or red? Father's Day Freebie & Encouragement from me!

There is so much for a Newbie to learn about machine embroidery that just a little 'hit or miss' can sabotage your project. 

One thing I think is difficult to decide is, how do I select the colors of threads? Of course, the basic colors (blue, black, brown, green, orange, purple, red, and yellow - these are harder to remember than you might think) make sense for your stash. You can follow the recipe the designer gave you, but what if those colors don't fit your project? 

If you are going to do a cartoon or realistic or any design in between, certain colors just won't be effective unless you have multiple shades and hues of them. For instance, I have been selling embroidered wedding hankies and I get a lot of orders for "blue" writing. Is that baby blue? light blue? Robin's egg? Limestone? Or dark blue, Navy, or Calypso? Incidentally, did you know that 'true Navy' is actually black with blue? Of the Navy Group, there are probably dozens of shades of Navy. Check your favorite Search Engine for Navy and see some of the variations.  

Madeira alone has eleven (11) different TYPES of thread. How many blue shades do they have? I cannot determine that but it is a bunch. 

If that is not enough (just a single thread manufacturer), there are likely 50 or 60 different blue colors with just this brand. 

I  do have a recommendation. Consider getting the preselected color sets. Here is a blue example, a red examplea green example Orange, yellow, pink, and so many other combinations are also available.  Currently, selected threads are for sale with Free Shipping.

Why select a set? There are many reasons-
  • Shades and Tones are important for high-quality designs. 
  • When doing details, options need to be subtle. 

Why would you want multiple of a color? Making a design come to life is what color is all about! Here a design for demonstration purposes. The first photo is the original, the second is monocolored in just red and the last is an imaginative color selection.   

This design is just a little late, but with all the events, it is ready for you now!

(I actually wrote these words of hope just for my readership.

Thank you for joining me on this June day, I hope yours is bright and cheery. 

Comments (1) -

I have been doing Freebies for the Virus issues facing the country. I am considering adding Black Lives Matter. My issue is that I don't want to be too political or get on too many bandwagons.

Let me know what you think. I believe in BLM and astonished/dismayed/flabbergasted by what I am seeing.

Please give me your input.
Pat, The Avid Embroiderer