The Avid Embroiderer Presents - Tips and Tricks for ITH Projects

I did a "embroidery words/terms" blog recently and I remember that I had been embroidering for a long time before I knew what ITH meant. Of course, it is In The Hoop. While ITH is a 'time saving/last minute/easy peasey' type of embroidery, it does have some special requirements that you need to keep in mind.

In no particular order, here are some of the things you need to b aware of for your project.
  • You already know that your choice of stabilizer is an important ingredient but in the ITH, plan to use a heavier backing that you might normally use. Typically, ITH are items such as eye glass cases and key fobs. Those items are going to be handled more frequently than some embroidery.
  • Have a very sharp, small pair of scissors to trim your design precisely. Close trimming is important for professional results and large scissors are not made to get into tight corners. Nipping at the stitches will ruin your gift sooner or later.
  • Selecting your design has some issues as well. You won't want corners that are too sharp possibly creating strain on the stitching. The outer edges can be challenging but those inner corners can be a bear, possibly causing the design not to lay flat! Make it easy on yourself.
  • If you are going to create something with padding, chose your stuffing carefully. Batting can and will shift and that spells disaster for your item.
  • I would discourage the use of felt as your base fabric. Felt is a soft, fuzzy non-woven fiber fabric used for crafting, artwork, bag making, and creating accessories. It's great for kids' projects, holiday decor, and lining boxes and cases. However, if you press your thumb firmly on felt, you will see it stretch out of shape, permanently. Use quality fabric with vibrant colors.
My vision is for the Pat Williams quilt-block designs for use as decor. The set, a dozen lovely, classic (all 12) and timeless designs are a wonderful addition to your holiday decor. You don't have to celebrate Christmas to use these winter designs.

Here are a couple of samples of ITH for your consideration, it is a fun project.

Click on each large photo to find the designs available.

Can you see these three pictures, framed and on your wall? They are beautiful!

The Holidays are just around the corner, getting a head start is just what the time calls for. Thank you for joining me and seeing my vision.

Comments (2) -

LOVE the blocks!

Thank you sewblest!  After putting this on line, I realized that these designs are NOT ITH. So, I am adjusting.

LOL, getting more distracted everyday. . .

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer