The Avid Embroiderer – Presents – Implementing a new concept (and the horrors thereof.) Plus, a 3D flower freebie.

I can recall when the first computers came on the market. The one piece of software I noticed was “Computer Aided Design,” CAD. It is identified in Wikipedia as “Computer-aided design is the use of computer systems to aid in the creation, modification, analysis, or optimization of a design.” WOW, what a time saver!!

“What fools these mortals be.” (quoting Willy Shakespeare).

As you wander through different software programs related to embroidery, you likely were perplexed by what you saw.

I had an idea for a 3D design and the concept seemed simple, but implementation was another story.

My thought was to create a ‘sunflower’ style item. It reminds me of Vincent Van Gogh’s work. This one is called “Vase With Fifteen Sunflowers” As you maybe aware, he did multiple Sunflower paintings. They all had the following outline but different in color.

Here is my version – (mostly complete with some adjustments.) I was not very ‘embellishment’ savvy, more like ‘embellishment’ clumsy.

Every way I turned, I felt there was a better method and did feel I finally nailed it after many trials.

The satin outlines are out of alignment in the photo but I have made the adjustment to correct that. 

1. Use the first color as your line to place the petals to be sewn on the fabric.
  2. The second color/line is the tack down for those petals.
  3. The third color and next line is the outer satin stitch.
  4. The forth color is the pattern in the center. You need not be concerned about the petals showing some stray thread.
  5. The last sewing color is the outside satin stitch.
  6. I have placed the tiny flowers on those petals with a small amount of glue on the inside of the petal.
  7. You can also turn over this project and remove the fabric that does not add to the design, you will end up with a circular project. Then you will be able to glue or sew it on a tote or wall hanging!!

Here is the Sunflower 3D design in two sizes. They are 1.7" 40mm and 2.5" 67mm square.

3D sunflower 2.5x 2.5 67mm 9k 5 color The Avid Embroiderer.zip (170.4KB)

My daughter was having some issues with the kids not doing their chores. Does that sound familiar? Well, she gave them each an allowance, it was $10. She used a $5 and 5 each $1. Then she asked them to do a chore. They were not interested. She told them that for $3, she would do it for them. Since the funds belong to them, they view keeping it versus giving it up in a different way.  I think the operative issue is to place the money in their hands. HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE!

Thank you for spending this time with me. I am glad to have you here.