Keeping It Simple – Easy Embroidered Laptop Sleeve

Last week my laptop began making very strange noises.  It is a few years old so I decided to replace it rather than have it repaired.  Now there is a brand new Surface Pro to waiting to be set up.  The sleeves in the computer store were basic and boring.  And the few nice ones I found on-line were quite pricey so I decided to make my own.  I wanted something simple and classic enough for business trips so although I usually tend to gravitate towards bright colors when choosing fabrics and designs I selected a gray wool felt and floral design for this project.  I used leftovers from other projects to make mine Here is the finished sleeve.

Here is what you need:

½ yard wool felt

½ yard cotton for lining

1/2 yard fusible soft interfacing

Magnetic clasp (or several inches of Velcro would probably work)

Coordinating cotton sewing thread

Embroidery design of your choice (we used one from the Morango Lacey Accents Collection)

Cutaway stabilizer

Embroidery thread

Lapel stick or other temporary adhesive (I love my lapel stick because I can control exactly where the adhesive goes and avoid the needle area if desired)

Here is what you do:

1.        Measure your laptop (mine measured 11 ½” X 8”).  Add two inches to each measurement (so my working measurement was 13 ½” X 10”).

2.       Cut your pieces

a.       Front cut 1 piece from wool felt at your working size (so mine was 13 ½ X 10”).

b.       Front cut 1 piece from the cotton lining at the same working size.

c.       Front cut 1 piece from interfacing at the same working size.

d.       Inner pocket cut 1 piece from wool felt at working width but 1” less than working height (so mine was 13 ½ X 9).

e.       Inner pocket cut 1 piece from cotton lining at the same size as the inner pocket wool felt piece.

f.        Inner pocket cut 1 piece from interfacing at the same size as the inner pocket wool felt piece.

g.       Back (add 4” to the height of your working measurement) cut 1 piece from wool felt (mine was 13 ½ X 14)

h.       Back cut 1 piece from cotton lining at same size as the back wool felt piece.

i.         Back cut 1 piece from interfacing at the same size as the back wool felt piece.

3.       Iron interfacing to back sides of the cotton pieces.  Set aside.   Note: Reserve a couple of 1 1/2” square scraps of the interfacing for later.

4.       Embroider your chosen design.

a.       Print a template from the software of your choice (Alphabet Xpress or the Amazing Designs software products are great for this).  Pin as desired on your front wool felt piece.

b.       Hoop cutaway stabilizer.  Align your template and adhere the wool felt in the hoop using the lapel stick.

c.       Slide the hoop onto the machine with the design loaded and ready to embroider.  Make sure the needle above the center of the template.  Remove the template and embroider the design.

d.       Remove the embroidered piece from the hoop, flip over and cut away the excess stabilizer.

5.       Add the magnetic snap to the front.

a.       Find the horizontal center by folding the felt in half.

b.       Measure down from the top 2 ½” and mark.

c.       Iron a scrap of interfacing on the backside centering at the mark for reinforcement.

d.       Mark the interfacing where the two prongs will go through the fabric and cut using small sharp scissors.

e.       From the front side insert the snap.  Flip to back, add the back support piece and bend the prongs down. 

6.       Place the front face up on a flat surface.  Lay the front lining piece face down on top and pin.  Sew ¼ “around leaving a 4” opening to turn. 

Clip corners and turn right side out.  Press.  Top stitch all the way around closing the opening as you go.  Set the front piece aside.

7.       Repeat number six above for the inside pocket.  Lay the pocket on a flat surface with the cotton lining side up.  Place the front cotton lining side down on top and align the bottom and sides.  Top stitch along original stitching lines around the three sides creating a folder.     

8.       Add the magnetic snap to the back inside.

a.       Find the horizontal lining on the cotton lining piece.  Measure 2 ½” from top and mark.  Follow the steps in number 5 above to complete the snap.

9.    9.       Lay the lining face up on a flat surface.  Lay the back wool felt piece face down on top and align edges.  Sew ¼” seam around leaving a 4” opening to turn.  Clip corners, turn and press.  Topstitch close to edge all the way around closing the opening as you go.

2.      10.  Lay the back side lining side up with the snap at the top.  Lay the front folder piece front side up, with snap at top, on top aligning bottom and sides.  Stitch around the three sides just inside the current stitching lines.  Go slowly if needed as this is fairly thick.

Enjoy your new laptop sleeve.  This was really easy.  I will be making one for the girls as well.  One wants hers to be hot pink with a black kitty on it and the other wants teal with and owl.  Maybe we will do one for papa for father’s day – we’ll see.

Take care,

DB

Comments (1) -

Ultra cool! It is simple and so handy.

May you be blessed in ways you have not yet imagined.  

Pat