Last Minute Men’s Wear for Your Man

We are excited to have Eileen Roche, Editor of Designs in Machine Embroidery share this content with you, which was originally posted on Eileen’s Machine Embroidery Blog : Looking for a last minute personalized gift for your man? Want to get your guy to wear embroidered duds? Thin... [More]

Avoiding a Major Stabilizer Malfunction

My name is Debbie and I was a victim of a stabilizer malfunction. I have been doing this long enough to know better. Remember this reversible applique project? It's one I won't forget any time soon. At the time, I didn't tell you about the huge blunder on my part. What I thoug... [More]

Hand is a Four-letter Word

We are excited to have Eileen Roche, Editor of Designs in Machine Embroidery share this content with you, which was originally posted on Eileen’s Machine Embroidery Blog : I’m a machine girl, always have been, always will be. I’m amazed, impressed, in awe, humbled by tho... [More]

Fancy Scrap Bag

When you sew, what do you do with your fabric trimmings and thread ends?  Doyou reach for a trash can?  Mine is too far away -- I can't put it as close to me as I want,because it gets in the way of my desk's drawers.  Instead, I keep a scrap bag right ... [More]

Tips for Applique Using AccuQuilt for Machine Embroidery

Hopefully, you took advantage of the AccuQuilt sale. These tips were written for embroidering applique shapes cut with AccuQuilt dies, but are just as valuable if you tack and trim your applique designs by hand. New Addition, Just in Time for Wedding Season Great news- Ann has added the AccuQuilt ... [More]

Hold towels for embroidery the easy, loop-free way

If you have ever used self-adhesive stabilizer to hold a towel for embroidery, it may have seemed easy at first. But when you have to remove the self-adhesive, the going gets tough. After removal, you have pulled loops on the back of the towel that look terrible. In this video excerpt from my video ... [More]

Back Side Up

Sometimes, the best side of the fabric is the back. I found that out while making a throw quilt for my daughter. It was based around a Catkin panel by Julie Paschkis. I love her folk/carved block-style approach to her fabric designs. My daughter loves cats so it was perfect. The surroun... [More]

Machine Features Everybody Needs

We are excited to have Eileen Roche, Editor of Designs in Machine Embroidery share this content with you, which was originally posted on Eileen’s Machine Embroidery Blog :When Nancy and I were creating Machine Embroidery in 6 Easy Lessons series, I delved into the b... [More]

Fix Loopy Threads

When you remove your embroidery work from the hoop, here's something that ranks up there with crooked embroidery - loopy threads from poor tensions. I have two methods to repair them. In this video exceprt from my video "Repairing Embroidery Mishaps", I show you two ways to secure tho... [More]

Stabilizer Tips and Tricks

Stabilizers are the workhorse of the embroidery industry. Since they are used literally every time we stitch, it helps to share tricks of the trade. Keeping Waste to a Minimum I have found that keeping the stabilizer width intact, rather than trimming it to the hoop size, eliminates unnecessary ... [More]

Please Welcome Me

Hello Everyone..... First of all let me introduce myself, my name is Pardeep Takhar. I have been working here at AnnTheGran (ATG) since 2007...... that's 6 years ....wow that's a really long time, time really does fly by. Here, at ATG, I have been involved in customer service, adding new pr... [More]

Upscale Bed Linens – Tips for stitching gorgeous machine embroidery designs on sheets

We are excited to have Eileen Roche, Editor of Designs in Machine Embroidery share this content with you, which was originally posted on Eileen’s Machine Embroidery Blog I love embroidered bed linens. They are such a treat to slide between as you end a long day. Here a... [More]

Embroidery Advisor Presents : Coffee Wrap Project

Materials: Coffee Wrap Saying or Type Designe.g.  Coffee Wrap Types In The HoopCoffee Wrap Sayings In The HoopCoffee TypesCoffee Sayings Coffee Wrap Template.pdf file (printed) Fabric 2 Pieces each 4.5” H x 13” W at least Quilting Fabric 1 P... [More]

Using a Stabilizer Window

When embroidering several of the same sized designs using adhesive tear-away stabilizer, you can save time and supplies by creating a stabilizer window. Hoop the adhesive tear-away like you normally would. Score the paper backing inside the hoop and peel it away. Embroider the design and ... [More]

Big and Beautiful...Embroidering Large Letters That Last

I love embroidering towels - they're my favorite monogrammed gift, and this past Christmas I really kept the machine humming with monogrammed towels for just about everyone. The challenge is that large letters have very wide satin stitches that can snag. In this video, I show you how to cre... [More]

Avoid Sinking Stitches

This week, I thought I would share some problems I had with stitches sinking into the design while creating the Scalloped Valentine project. I love to use wool felt in many of my projects. The cream-colored wool I used in the Scalloped Valentine projects was felted, meaning it had been washed in hot... [More]

Fancy Water Bottle Caddies

I am having entirely too much fun.  I admit that freely.  Ever sinceI started creating my own motifs in my digitizing software, I have beenfinding ever more ways to use them.  My latest is this Cathedral Windowswater bottle caddy.  I created a panel that ... [More]
AnnTheGran.com | Beautiful people make beautiful things

You did that?

Teaching an African Folklore Embroidery class is one of my favorite things to do. In the last few weeks, I have taught workshops at quilt guilds in Washington, Visalia, Long Beach and Covina. I have had all types of people in my classes, from people who have been quilting for many years, but n... [More]

Keeping It Simple - Quick Wristlet Just In Time for Spring

Wristlets are great if you have lots of other stuff to haul around (like kids and diaper bags and laptops...) and don't want the extra weight of a purse.  But after a hard winter the ones we have been using look pretty bad so I decided to surprise the girls with new ones this week.  I ... [More]

Control Key Information and Rogue Security Software

These tips can be used for Windows XP and Vista - Operating systems vary, if in doubt, check with your provider and/or technical support.  It seems like everyone needs to save time. It is just a fact of life these days.  The following "Control Key" list is to help you do just t... [More]

Let's Talk About Terry---Terrycloth, that is!

(Baby Bibs and Burps are now available at AnnTheGran.com.  Click here , also click here to vew other new blanks on special)   Just recently we’ve had two customers call us to let us know they were unhappy with our baby items.  They said they “fell apart” and t... [More]

A Free Calculator and Reverse Engineering a Design in AlphabetXpress

I have never been certain why Microsoft does not place a calculator on a computer screen. There are a number of them on the Internet, and I have one that I like for several reasons. For one, I can turn off or on the keyboard. With the keyboard off, I can just use my computer numeers. You can find it... [More]

Thread Doll with Tote - No Batteries Required!

Make a HoneyBea Thread Doll set for your little Honey – No Batteries Required! When I was little, I loved the Betsy McCall paper doll in the back of McCall’s magazine, and I even cut out paper dolls from the pages of my Mother’s Sears Roebuck catalog.... [More]

Increasing Computer Speed - - - Leather and Lace and Alpha Xpress

I am a big fan of free computer software. Some of it is worth free and some of it is quite valuable. One that I like, and have found to be praised by many computer professionals is CCleaner by Piriform.com.  This one has a very nice Pedigree - - If you are not using this software, you may wa... [More]

Threads from Africa- 30% off till Feb 9th

Thread colors and names inspired by African Savanah  From The COLORFUL world of African Folklore Embroidery we bring you a complete selection of multi-colored hand dyed variegated threads from House of Embroidery, South Africa.  Our exquisite hand-dyed threads are suitable for all types... [More]

Mural Painting- The Ndebele women-Creative Inspiration- Enter to win 4 African Folklore Embroidery kits

Mural Painting- The Ndebele women-Creative Inspiration- Enter to win 4 African Folklore Embroidery kits  While there are many tribes in Africa, the magnificent beadwork, doll- making and wall mural painting of the Ndebele tribe are a constant source of inspiration. The houses of the Ndebele... [More]

Embroidering Knits: Hooping is the Key

Embroidery on knits can be tricky, but the real secret is in the hooping.To get great results on knits, you must stabilize this stretchy fabric. You probably know that the text book rule for fabrics that stretch is to use a cutaway stabilizer.This should be followed, except in rare instances. If it ... [More]

World Wide Web, a Freebie and Hankies for Brides with Alpha Xpress

You know that WWW stands for World Wide Web. Typing in WWW tells your browser that you are connecting to a Web server. However, as the Internet and related-technology evolved, prefixes became mostly unnecessary. But we are creatures of habit and many Websites use both WWW and non-WWW addresse... [More]

Back From the Workshop

Hello, Granners! It has been a while since I've been able to write to you, and I'm sorry about that. For the last year or so we've been working hard on some new products. But while products are under development I can't really tell you much about what we're doing.... [More]

A Freebie and Tip #4 Alpha Xpress Customizes Words

Some days I cannot find my keys, or my glasses or whatever I really need. Too often, I cannot find a file I need and that presents a lot of problems for me. I am always on a schedule and get frustrated with delays!  This small application is really worth its weight in gold and then some. Check... [More]

Make Patches and Emblems from Scratch

There are times when attaching a patch or emblem is a lot easier than trying to apply embroidery directly to a difficult item. Other times, it’s helpful to be able to change or remove the embroidered identification easily.  For these times, it’s nice to know how to make emblems... [More]

Keeping It Simple - Show and Tell

I hope your holidays were full of fun with family and friends.   I listened to people make their New Year's resolutions   the other night.  Some were new but many were the same old ones they make every year and find so difficult to keep.  So, we talked with the girl... [More]

Quick Coasters in the hoop- Designs Included

Quick Coasters in the hoop- Designs Included Ever need something right now!  Well last year one of the charity craft bazaars in my mom's neighbourhood needed lots of little things to fill in.  So we made a bunch of these in one night.  In sets of 4 of these quick coasters, tied i... [More]

Keeping It Simple - A Beautiful Lace Snowflake and Easy Turtles too.

Well, the Christmas music is playing everywhere, most of the shopping is done but the sewing pile still looms, at least at my house.  I have at least four more gifts to make before Christmas Day.  November and December have been busier than usually with things unplanned but just part of li... [More]

Thread colors and names inspired by African Savanah

From The COLORFUL world of African Folklore Embroidery we bring you a complete selection of multi-colored hand dyed variegated threads from House of Embroidery, South Africa.

Our exquisite hand-dyed threads are suitable for all types of embroidery ranging from hard anger to stump work and will magnificently enhance any design. Quilters love our threads for embellishment, crazy quilting and art quilts. With exciting names like Flame: 43, Peacock, 38, Fern,4 Sri Lanka 53,, Mango24 , Christmas Red,40, Berry, 20, Freesia 48 , Holly 56, iris 54, Hellebore, 62, harvest, 64 Grape,39, Wildlife; 88, apple , autumn, 13, Camellia35, Coppertone,33 Oak, 10, gold 26, maple 65, forest 54  and many more, your world will be filled with color and vibrancy. For the following week only we are giving you 30% off all threads. Hand- dyed threads, create accent and effect , giving your work an extra creative and color boost. You can view the full thread catalog at www.aflembroidery.com  under threads

There is a very big difference in the quality of hand-dyed verses  other threads. All our hand-dyed threads are cotton and initially gray. They are then washed, boiled and rewashed. Thereafter with a teaspoon a different color is poured on the thread every two inches. The threads are then washed and fan dried to ensure they are light, color and wash fast. The purchase of these threads assists in creating valuable employment opportunities for women in South Africa. Many of the women involved in the thread-dyeing and packaging process have been able to move from informal shack housing to formal housing with running water and electricity. There are over 300 variegated colors and each color is taken through all the thread fibers. So for example the same variegated shade of green can be found in pearl 5 cotton, pearl 8 cotton, stranded floss, silk ribbon (2mm, 4mm and 7mm), rayon and raw and fine silk. For a full color chart visit www.aflembroidery.com.

Our most popular threads for African Folklore Embroidery are the pearl 8 cards. These cards, come with three colors of 9.7 yards  on a card. Each card retails for $5.50 and you can receive 30%  till Feb 9th .  For silk ribbon enthusiasts, you will adore our gorgeous vaerigated silk ribbon colors, available in 2mm, 4mm and 7mm.  we have over 70 colors available in our silk ribbon.  Silk ribbon is wonderful for couching as well as for the “Mola Barbara Interweaving technique.”

House of Embroidery African  threads can serve as an accent to other threads or can be the dominant feature in your embroidery.  For incredible effect we suggest combining two different hand-dyed threads or one hand –dyed thread with solid color floss, metallic or silk thread. All hand dyed threads work well with just about any fiber. Do not be afraid to experiment. Be creative. If you really want to indulge, order the full collection of all colors and receive an added gift in addition to your 30% off.

For those who enjoy Brazilian Embroidery, try our beautiful rayon threads.  If your hobby is needlepoint,  try experimenting with our pearl 5 threads ( we have  over 300 colors)

. Nature is the inspiration for the subtle changes in our thread colors. All our threads are color co-coordinated and can serve as an accent to other threads or can be the dominant feature.

Quilters love our threads for embellishing. Hardanger and Hungarian embroiderers delight in the quality and color of our Pearl multi-colored threads. Cross Stitchers and all who love needle arts adore our stranded variegated threads. Those who love canvas and drawn thread work enjoy the vibrancy and variety of all the exciting colors we have to offer. Those who specialize in Brazilian embroidery favor our variegated Rayon Threads.

Experience has shown that the hand-dyed threads work well with just about any fiber. The colors are so exciting you just have to experiment and creativity will flow. Keep checking our website for new products and together we will bring color to your world.

February Classes, Lectures and Workshops , for registration and more information  email info@aflembroidery.com

Feb-10th  7pm, Safari through African Folklore Embroidery Lecture  open to all $5.00 fee for non guild members

6-hour workshop Saturday Feb 12th Orange County Area-  9.00Am-4.00 PM

, First Baptist Church of Lakewood

5336 E. Arbor Road, Long Beach, CA 90808 registration required contact info@aflembroidery.com

Visalia, Bakersfeld, Fresno Area - Feb 24h – Lecture Orange Blossom Guild to host lecture and workshop- Safari through African Folklore Embroidery, Parkside Chapel, 3200 E. Seb 26th Walnut Ave, Visalia, CA 6:00 pm

Sat, Feb 26th  6-hour workshop- Safari through African Folklore Embroidery Meeting Location: 
Parkside Chapel
3200 E. Walnut, Visalia, CA 93292

For studio tours or private classes, contact Leora at 818-999-6094 or info@aflembroidery.com

NEW LECTURE SERIES

I am now scheduling lectures and workshop for 2012 and 2013, - I have a New LECTURE, slide and trunk show- called Fiber art & Embellishment with African Folklore Embroidery, which features some of the award winners in recent challenges and competitions.