What's a Tortilla Warmer?

Sometime ago, I saw an advertisement for tortilla warmers and loved the idea.  They looked fun and useful but the cost was $8.00 - $12.00 each, depending on the size, plus shipping.  "What a great way to use up scraps!" I thought.  So, I tore out the ad and saved it.  I came across it the other day when cleaning out my magazine basket and decided to give it a try.  I didn't have any Mexican looking scraps but I still have scraps of the apple fabric that needs to be used up.  Here is the first one I made for corn tortillas.  It works great!

Here is what you need for the small one for corn tortillas:

Note: I made sure to use all cotton components since it was going in the microwave. Do Not use polyester or other blends.  And remember never to leave the microwave unattended when in use.

Enough cotton fabric to cut four circles - 8 1/2" each

Enough thin cotton batting to cut two circles - 8 1/2" each

Cotton thread (I used 50 weight cotton by Robison Anton)

This embroidery design (Download it here for corn and flour)

Tear away stabilizer

Here is what you do:

1.  Cut all the 8 1/2" circles (I traced around the small burner cover from my stove.)

2.  Hoop a tear away stabilizer and adhere the circle to the stabilizer using the lapel stick or spray adhesive around the edges.  Embroider the design using cotton thread in the bobbin and on top.  Remove the stabilizer.

3.  Place one circle cotton fabric face up.  Place the second circle cotton fabric on top face down. Place the batting circle on top of all.  Sew 1/4"in from the edge around the circle leaving a 3" opening for turning.

4.  Reach between the two cotton circles and turn right side out.  The batting should be inside and the two cotton circles right sides out.  Fold the raw edges of the opening in to complete the circle and press.  Stitch closed if desired.

5.  Repeat for the bottom piece.

6. With embroidery design facing up place the embroidered circle on top of the sewn bottom circle.  Fold down the top edge so there is about a 6" opening and mark the sides.

7.  Sew 1/4" from longer edge around the circles between the marks forming a pocket with a 6" opening.

8.  Insert tortillas and heat a few seconds  in the microwave.  No need for plastic wrap ever again.

At our house we only have corn tortillas but if you want to heat the medium size flour tortillas make your circles 10 1/2" (the large burner cover works for this size).

I think everyone will be getting these in their stockings this year.  I might add a loop so it could be hung up.

Take care,

DB

Here is my recipe for Herbed Corn Tortilla Chips - made with the extra corn tortillas

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

2 tsp grated parmesan

1/2 tsp dried oregano

1/2 tso dried parsley

1/2 tsp dried rosemary

1/4 tsop garlic powder

1/8 tsp salt

dash pepper

A little olive oil

2 or 3 corn tortillas cut into six wedges each

Mix together the cheese and spices.  Place corn tortilla wedges on a very lightly oiled baking sheet.  Brush or spritz wil olive oil.  Sprinkle with cheese and spice mixture.  Bake 5-7 minutes.  Eat warm with your favorite soup.

Comments (3) -

gardentilly 8/27/2011 8:26:56 AM

Thank you for this idea.  I think a few people are going to get these for x-mass.

I would love to see it.  would you please show me...thank you

Thank you for the design, will save us the time in our software. I downloaded the tater design as well.