Avoiding a Major Stabilizer Malfunction

My name is Debbie and I was a victim of a stabilizer malfunction. I have been doing this long enough to know better. Remember this reversible applique project? It's one I won't forget any time soon. At the time, I didn't tell you about the huge blunder on my part. What I thoug... [More]

Hand is a Four-letter Word

We are excited to have Eileen Roche, Editor of Designs in Machine Embroidery share this content with you, which was originally posted on Eileen’s Machine Embroidery Blog : I’m a machine girl, always have been, always will be. I’m amazed, impressed, in awe, humbled by tho... [More]

Fancy Scrap Bag

When you sew, what do you do with your fabric trimmings and thread ends?  Doyou reach for a trash can?  Mine is too far away -- I can't put it as close to me as I want,because it gets in the way of my desk's drawers.  Instead, I keep a scrap bag right ... [More]

Tips for Applique Using AccuQuilt for Machine Embroidery

Hopefully, you took advantage of the AccuQuilt sale. These tips were written for embroidering applique shapes cut with AccuQuilt dies, but are just as valuable if you tack and trim your applique designs by hand. New Addition, Just in Time for Wedding Season Great news- Ann has added the AccuQuilt ... [More]

Hold towels for embroidery the easy, loop-free way

If you have ever used self-adhesive stabilizer to hold a towel for embroidery, it may have seemed easy at first. But when you have to remove the self-adhesive, the going gets tough. After removal, you have pulled loops on the back of the towel that look terrible. In this video excerpt from my video ... [More]

Back Side Up

Sometimes, the best side of the fabric is the back. I found that out while making a throw quilt for my daughter. It was based around a Catkin panel by Julie Paschkis. I love her folk/carved block-style approach to her fabric designs. My daughter loves cats so it was perfect. The surroun... [More]

Machine Features Everybody Needs

We are excited to have Eileen Roche, Editor of Designs in Machine Embroidery share this content with you, which was originally posted on Eileen’s Machine Embroidery Blog :When Nancy and I were creating Machine Embroidery in 6 Easy Lessons series, I delved into the b... [More]

Fix Loopy Threads

When you remove your embroidery work from the hoop, here's something that ranks up there with crooked embroidery - loopy threads from poor tensions. I have two methods to repair them. In this video exceprt from my video "Repairing Embroidery Mishaps", I show you two ways to secure tho... [More]

Stabilizer Tips and Tricks

Stabilizers are the workhorse of the embroidery industry. Since they are used literally every time we stitch, it helps to share tricks of the trade. Keeping Waste to a Minimum I have found that keeping the stabilizer width intact, rather than trimming it to the hoop size, eliminates unnecessary ... [More]

Please Welcome Me

Hello Everyone..... First of all let me introduce myself, my name is Pardeep Takhar. I have been working here at AnnTheGran (ATG) since 2007...... that's 6 years ....wow that's a really long time, time really does fly by. Here, at ATG, I have been involved in customer service, adding new pr... [More]

Upscale Bed Linens – Tips for stitching gorgeous machine embroidery designs on sheets

We are excited to have Eileen Roche, Editor of Designs in Machine Embroidery share this content with you, which was originally posted on Eileen’s Machine Embroidery Blog I love embroidered bed linens. They are such a treat to slide between as you end a long day. Here a... [More]

Embroidery Advisor Presents : Coffee Wrap Project

Materials: Coffee Wrap Saying or Type Designe.g.  Coffee Wrap Types In The HoopCoffee Wrap Sayings In The HoopCoffee TypesCoffee Sayings Coffee Wrap Template.pdf file (printed) Fabric 2 Pieces each 4.5” H x 13” W at least Quilting Fabric 1 P... [More]

Using a Stabilizer Window

When embroidering several of the same sized designs using adhesive tear-away stabilizer, you can save time and supplies by creating a stabilizer window. Hoop the adhesive tear-away like you normally would. Score the paper backing inside the hoop and peel it away. Embroider the design and ... [More]

Big and Beautiful...Embroidering Large Letters That Last

I love embroidering towels - they're my favorite monogrammed gift, and this past Christmas I really kept the machine humming with monogrammed towels for just about everyone. The challenge is that large letters have very wide satin stitches that can snag. In this video, I show you how to cre... [More]

Avoid Sinking Stitches

This week, I thought I would share some problems I had with stitches sinking into the design while creating the Scalloped Valentine project. I love to use wool felt in many of my projects. The cream-colored wool I used in the Scalloped Valentine projects was felted, meaning it had been washed in hot... [More]

Fancy Water Bottle Caddies

I am having entirely too much fun.  I admit that freely.  Ever sinceI started creating my own motifs in my digitizing software, I have beenfinding ever more ways to use them.  My latest is this Cathedral Windowswater bottle caddy.  I created a panel that ... [More]

An Indispensable Tool

We are excited to have Eileen Roche, Editor of Designs in Machine Embroidery share this content with you, which was originally posted on Eileen’s Machine Embroidery Blog I can’t believe how indispensable this tool is. Recently, I was stitching 24 onesies, a daun... [More]
Speed Up Start Up of your PC; Intro to Alphabet Xpress

Speed Up Start Up of your PC; Intro to Alphabet Xpress

Most Help Desk people will remind you to do certain steps, depending on your computer, to help speed up your PC.  Vista does the Defrag and Check Disk in the background, so you can do those if you like, but it is not likely to make any difference in start-up speed.

It is a fact that getting rid of unused programs can help you speed up the starting of your PC.  However, one must be careful when one decides to ‘disable' a start up program.   Disable does not remove a program, and is generally safe.  However, if you don't know what something actually does, you could create problems for your PC.

So, I am going to show you a simple, effective and less fearful way to cut down the start-up time.

Unless you are a graphics artist or in a similar professional, you don't need a huge number of fonts. This tip will shorten your morning start up time by reducing the number of fonts you load.   

I use Microsoft Word and am consistently working toward using the SkyDrive.  Having tons of fonts does not make sense for me.  I had no idea how many fonts I had and was floored when I saw the number - 642 of them.  How many do I use?  Perhaps a dozen but on a regular basis, even less. 

Here is what I did to eliminate some of the ones I would likely never use:

• At the start menu, select Control Panel
  • Select Fonts
  • Right Click on the font that I don't recognize/use
  • Take a look at that font and decide to keep or toss
  • Close the view of the font
  • Delete the font

Some of them were ‘groups' such as Bodoni. They were acceptable, so I did not have to check each one.   

The TrueType fonts were embedded and not removable.  However, I had some other font types and they were removable.   You may also find that when you start up some programs, they may upload their fonts again.   Sometimes you cannot win.

I was able to remove 80+ different fonts.  I chose them based on the look - some of them were hard to read for various reasons - and the likelihood of using them. 

What if I had removed a font that I later thought I would use?  I go back to my blog on Free Fonts, and download it from there.

Did it make a difference in my start up speed in the morning?  Well, yes.  It was small, but I thought it was noticeable. 

Sometimes chipping away at getting better speed takes a little from many areas.  This is just one of them.

When I first started to think of doing a blog about Alphabet Xpress, I must say that I thought "hmmm . . . . , what's to say, open software, select a design, select a font, type your words, and save."  That is all there is to it, but I decided to discuss some of the ways to make your project more special with your personal touch.

Newbies (me included) are often confused about the differences between Monograms/Alphabets/fonts. 

Monograms can be Formal, Script, Ornate, Framed and so much more.  They are uppercase lettering only.  Some sites are careful to show monograms separately from lettering for ease and convenience.  

Alphabets are usually singular lettering with both upper and lowercase lettering.   I always caution my clients to be sure they select lettering that includes punctuation appropriate to their needs.  For instance, it is not unusual that some lettering does not include "-" or "/" or other items that may be needed for some projects.  Some don't even include numbers!  Additionally, you must place them one at a time.  That can have lots of repercussions including poorly lined letters among other things. 

Fonts are the way to go for writing in embroidery.  Fonts are almost entirely capable of using most everything on your keyboard.   Using a Font means that you just have to type and everything is done for you.   Alphabet Xpress is just converting what you type into its configuration.

Why anyone would struggle with alphabets when Alphabet Xpress is available is a mystery to me.  The time and frustration savings justify this software over and over again. 

I will go through details in future blogs, but for now, here are the basics:

• In Alphabet Xpress, under File, Select "Merge Stitch File. . "
  • Select your design and start the Text process by selecting Text
  • Select the placement of your text, it can be moved later
  • Type your text and press OK
  • You can move using the ‘hand' icon
  • You can resize using the ‘arrow' icon
  • Repeat if desired
  • Select Save, making sure to save to your format
  • If your design exceeds the hoop, adjust the hoop or resize the design

Sew out your masterpiece.

The next Alphabet Xpress blog will be about refining your designs. 

In lieu of digitizing, you can make a suitable design truly your OWN!  Gotta love AlphaX!!

Comments (2) -

I jsut love the Computerist. I learn more from you than anyone.THANK YOU SOOO MUCH....

thecomputerist 10/23/2010 3:03:38 PM

Thank you Sewmaryanns!

I try to bring things to my blog that are not in books and still have a universal appeal.  

No one knows everything about any software, but often there are little tricks that will make your work more efficient or effective.  

Thanks again, Pat