The last Minute-Addendum

As you can see, I found the gaggle of travel drives and software security devices that I THOUGHT I had inadvertently left at home when I flew to Kentucky last week. Of course, as soon as I get home, the first place I went was to the computer bag from which I had transferred my laptop for travel. I felt in all the pockets. Nothing. Nada. Goose egg. Well, I wouldn't panic about misplaced travel drives, inconvenient as it might be, but lost security devices? Not a good thing. I had already checked and checked in the combination camera/computer bag with wheels that I had taken with me, but I checked and checked again. Then a light bulb went off in my head. I lifted out a short camera lens in its case and there, just where I had put them for safe keeping, were, you guessed it, that gaggle.  So, here's the picture that was supposed to be on last week's blog post. Feel free to laugh at the perm and marvel at Bill's beard. I made all my square dance dresses and all Bill's matching shirts. I probably made 25 or 30 outfits for us. When we finally stopped dancing after 10 years or so I donated all the dresses, petticoats, western shirts and the accompanying themed accoutrements to our square dance club to sell in their re-sale shop. I’ll tell you, though, after making all those western shirts for Bill, whipping up a couple of short sleeve sport shirts is a piece of cake.

In honor of our newest blogger, Stacy Carlson, who will be our resident digital scrapbooking maven and who posted the very first installment in her new blog this week, I'm writing this little "bloggette" with a series of digital layouts recalling my latest visit to Kentucky.

Reed was coloring Spiderman pictures every day. “Can someone please print a Spiderman picture for me?” Finally DD told him only one picture a day, so his sisters began drawing Spiderman for him. Then they got tired of that and poor Reed was Spiderman-less. So I told him that he could draw Spiderman himself. After much whining and protesting, Reed finally did begin drawing his own Spiderman. You can tell it’s Spiderman by the big red head and the long blue legs. Here’s a photo cluster, not a full scrapbook page.

When I was in Kentucky in July Jen and I went to Kohl’s to shop for school clothes for the kids and a few things for me. If I applied for a Kohl’s card I would get 15% off the entire purchase. It was a large purchase and 15% would be a nice chunk of change, so I filled out the application. A couple of weeks after I got home my Kohl’s card came in the mail. Now, the thing is, I don’t have a Kohl’s nearby. The closest one is in Altamonte Springs, about 30 minutes up I-4. So, when I was in Kentucky last week I had this Kohl’s card with me that needed to be warmed up. You can see where this is going, right? Jen and I and the girls planned a girls day out. Before going to Kohl’s we stopped at the hair salon where Jen got highlights and a trim. I needed a trim, too, and there was a gal free to do it, so I had one, too. Here’s my scrapbook page about the hair salon. If you click on the picture you’ll bring up a larger version.

I’m always taking photos. I was doing that even before I became a digital scrapper. I can’t even remember when I didn’t have a camera. Now I have three cameras: My good DSLR camera with several lenses and other bells and whistles, my “travel” camera for when I don’t want to haul a heavy camera bag and I recently got a little waterproof camera to use when I go snorkeling and to otherwise keep in my purse or pocket so that I always have a camera with me. The first day in LaGrange was a school day so Bill and I and SIL Steve (a Gulf War veteran on 100% disability) were left to our own devices. We went downtown to have coffee and wander the little shops on Main Street. Downtown LaGrange is so small that the railroad tracks run right through the middle of the street! We actually had to wait for a train to pass before we could cross the street! I had my little pocket camera with me and took pictures of items of interest along the way, and here’s my scrapbook page. If you click on the picture you’ll bring up a larger version.

Reed is used to my following him around with a camera and now his brother and sisters have purchased cameras of their own with their birthday money this year. I got Reed one of the toddler cameras and he took pictures from the time he got it until the day I left. It really would never have occurred to me before to put a camera in the hands of a three and a half year old. It was really interesting to see the things that attracted Reed’s attention and, of course, here’s my scrapbook page and, again, if you click on the picture you’ll bring up a larger version.

I guess that’s about all I have for you this time. I hope I’ve whetted your appetites for some digital scrapping. If you haven’t already, do read Stacy’s blog. She has some exciting news. Until next time, y’all take care of each other. TTFN.

Comments (10) -

sharonbailey 10/25/2008 9:33:28 AM

You do wonderful work, how inspiring you are. Keep it up & keep the news coming. Always thanking you, Sharon Bailey Great Falls, Montana

jalcumbrack 10/25/2008 9:51:42 AM

Great Blog as always Ann,I love hearing your travel stories! Makes me sorry we came home already. I love Kentucky and Tenn, I somehow always thought I would end up there someday.

Judy

What about the double needle I've had for 50 years

I have one of those, too, soph2, and i full intend to use it one of these days . . .

Ann-You make every day situations so interesting.  

With so many talents, embroidery, digitizing, scrapping and photos, is there anything you cannot do?

Now you have inspired a generation of photographers, what a terrific story!

Pat

Hi it is great to read what you have been doing, I live in Australia and to read about what you are up to is great. I love the embroidery designs and planning to use them in a quilt.

Thank you

PatchyDi

what wonderful information. thank you for sharing your trip with all of us.

I have tons of pictures that I have never done anything with, then I got a digital camera, now I have tons of pictures in my computer that I have not done anything with.

I have started a tradition, thanks to my sister who actually started it  ;^), that whenever any grandchild turns 5, Papa and I will take them to either Disneyland or Disneyworld, depending which grandchild it is. I told myself that I would make a cool scrapbook for each grandchild of their own trip, alas, I have the books, the paper, the memorabelia, etc.. but nothing done.... Why? I don't know. Just the scary thought of the time, the "what if turns out crummy" etc....

I envy you your abiltiy to do this.

Thanks again for sharing

cme     8^)

serenemachine2 10/26/2008 2:18:55 AM

Ann, love the stories with the GKids.  I want to know if they laugh at your square dance pictures???I treasure every moment I get to spend with mine.  Did you think about the web cams??

serenemachine2, I don't think I've ever shown them any of our square dance pictures, and I have a boatload of them. Videos, too.. I gave then a web cam on their first Christmas in Kentucky in 2001. If only they would use it!

serenemachine2 10/27/2008 9:53:02 PM

Ann, begging works!!!!