Endless Hooping 7/25/08

Thanks for responding to my request for what you wanted to talk about!  Endless Hooping was the winner by far. 

I selected "Celtic Crosses" because it is robust with great designs and methods.  There are interlocking and non-interlocking designs, pre-designed corners and some interesting keepsake designs for linen.  Of course, you can Search for "Borders" and find many others here at ATG. 

The first thing we need to discuss about ‘endless hooping' is that your project needs to be well thought out before you begin.  That may seem obvious, but with so many factors entering your project, planning is essential.  

1. Decide on the fabric/item. I am doing an old pair of pillowcases for practice and to bring them back to the ‘front' of my linen closet.
  2. Consider a design. Do you want floral, scroll or whimsy? Does your partner like the design too? I chose a Celtic design for its lovely curves and simple design.
  3. A pillow case border is generally placed an inch or two above the cuff seam. I would discourage putting something this lengthy on the cuff since the lower fold of the fabric could shift making a ‘twist' in the fabric. However, ME enthusiasts can choose anything they want, including a design from the hem vertically to the top edge of the case.
  4. In software that resizes, like Catalog Express, make your design size a simple number to deal with. In my case I resized to 5" x 1.5" since the pillow case is 21" wide. I will sew out my design 4 times and there will be a little left over on each side, which is fine with me.

This pillow case costs $55.00 EACH. (We better learn to do this!) 

Photo courtesy of Horchow, Fashion Bedding.

I am marking the pillowcase, following the line of the cuff which is how the case actually lays.   I am using a 1" distance centering line for my design.

Next, I am preparing to set my fabric in my hoop.  Ann has the best stabilizer for this project, Adhesive and Water Soluble which is just perfect for this project.  It will hold the design securely and wash away when I am done!

I carefully press the fabric into the hoop making sure I have my alignment set.   Using my hoop grid and when I am satisfied with my layout, I finger press the fabric into the stabilizer and finish with a hand roller.  This makes the adherence even.

I begin to sew out the design and make note of the machine parameters of where I am placing my design and hoop.  The placement of the design will be the same for each sew out.  Please note in the second photo, the arrow is pointing to an opening where the second color will land.  This is one of the marks of good digitizing because it alleviates density and pull issues.

After completing my first design and before removing my fabric from the hoop, I will reinsert my grid. Using a crayon or non-permanent marker, I will be tracing the top of the original design.  The second photo shows my tracing artistry.

I then disassemble my fabric and prepare the hoop and stabilizer for the repeat design.  

Here is the fun part.  Before I place the fabric back into the hoop, I align my grid and tape it down to the fabric.  When I place the fabric back into the hoop, the grid seats the fabric in the hoop where the next design will be sewn.  And when I am happy with the position, I press the fabric to the stabilizer.  I use my machine's layout function to make any last minute adjustments.  I prefer to have my additional designs closely abut the original design or actually land a little on top of the original design.  As you are working through your repeats, keep your eye on the finish spot and make adjustments if required. 

Another method would use the same principles of placement, but you would print out your designs with appropriate software and lay the trimmed design prints where you want them to be sewn.

Either method requires that you plan ahead and prepare to adjust when and where necessary.

Corners are for the practiced and courageous.  Doing a design completely around a square or rectangle table cloth would require much planning and careful placement.  

These are examples of "interlocking" designs.  This has a much closer tolerance but creates a really beautiful and endless design. 

Last but not least, this pack has one of the loveliest keepsake designs I have ever seen.

Greg was kind enough to find the background of the design.  It is in this link if you would like to read and/or print it.  It has a romantic story!

Don't forget to backup your designs often.  I just completed backing up my designs on Wednesday.  I did not back up this blog, and guess what? ...this blog became corrupt!  BACKUP!

Put your machine to work, Pat

Comments (13) -

jalcumbrack 7/25/2008 8:02:12 AM

Pat, Great blog with lots more information for us all to enjoy and file away with all of our other great ideas and designs. Like the pillow cases you "found" in the linen closet,we can bring them out when we need to for a lovely gift,or just a treat for ourselves. Thanks, endless hooping can be a mystery until you get the hang of it. It is a lot of planning and work,but the results are well worth the efforts! I bet we all have some treasures hidden away in our closets as well.I love the Celtic Designs,there is always an air of mystery involved with them too.

Pat,

Your instructions are so easy to follow. Great work on the blog! I can't wait to try this!

A co-worker is getting married in November. Between your borders & Cathy's free standing lace, my creative mind it going crazy! Just wish I could settle on something.

Anyone else have any spectacultar ideas for the wedding? I offered to make the ringbearer's pillow, but she's using the one from her mother's wedding.

rnh: What a fun project to dream about!  You might ask the couple if there is something they are interested in.  There are so many great items for brides.  It depends on how much money you are interested in spending.   Start your search with the bridal package www.annthegran.com/Product.aspx?t=1&i=14">www.annthegran.com/Product.aspx  that is really a special selection.

My next blog is going to show a lovely napkin set with an heirloom stitching that is a natural for brides.  Be sure to watch for that.  I am planning it for August 8.  

If you think your creative mind is going crazy, just keep watching here.  Sometimes I have to stop thinking of ideas just so I can sit down and write my blogs!

I think that creativity is just one part of ME, yours will keep growing as time goes on.

Pat

Pat,

Great blog, I am printing it up and I (think) I will soon tackle this type of ME. I have an endless hoop with my machine. It was the first thing I tried to embroidery on, before I knew how to do anything. Now I know quite a bit, but have not tackled this one yet! Thanks for the inspiration. How about Multi Hooping, oh, no, I'm not ready for that yet, but maybe a future blog??

Thanks

AL

Brilliant blog - I have had my machine for years and years and also have an endless hoop but haven't been able to use it 100% successfully (hopefully this will now change ! )

Okay, what is an endless hoop?????  In March, I purchased a Brother Innovis Duetta 4500D, which came with a 6x10, 5x7, 4x4 and a tiny hoop.  I don't think any of those are considered endless - or are they??  

This blog was very well written, and I look forward to trying it.

Thanks,

Dawn

Thanks for the great words!  I appreciate knowing what you are thinking!

I don't have access to an endless hoop, I gotta tell Santa about that!  So, when I saw this method, I was hooked.  You can print out templates from your software such as CatalogXpress, but I found that too cumbersome because I had to print all the designs and keep repinning my template.   Adjustments will always be needed, but I can do my edits as I go along without a lot of work.

You are all so kind to say so many nice words.

Pat

Loretta67

Wonderful blog.  I plan on trying this one.  Some wonderfully

written.  Thanks again.

travelbug1237 7/28/2008 9:28:32 PM

Really well organized and easy to follow!!! Love all the pictures too!

CinO

I LOVE the use of the roller on the fabric!

Great project--I'm inspired. Need something for a wedding gift and this seems like a good gift idea. Laughing

Unicow-I don't know what I did before the roller!  It makes it all so even!

I love you avatar too!  A smiling cat is a cat that is up to something.....

Pat

I am just getting into learning this stuff, and with your tutorial, I feel like I just sat through a whole class. Can't wait now to try it!

Marysewfun

Love your name - Marysewfun!!!

Thank you for your kind words.  I still use this method because it makes the most sense to me.  I have tried using the template printout, but did not have much success.

Thanks again, Pat