Prepping Now for Holiday Stitching

If you are like me, you make several of the same embroidery projects to give away during the holidays. These tips will help that process go sew much smoother!

Ann the Gran has an entire section devoted to in-the-hoop (ITH) projects. Of these, Pat Williams has several adorable ITH candy bag projects available. I’m using the reindeer and elf as examples here. Let’s say that you want to make a bunch of these for friends and family.

• Print out your directions. I like to add notes to mine. That is especially helpful when stitching at different times.
  • These directions tell you how large to cut individual pieces. Cut felt fronts and backs. If pieces are not obvious as to their use, label them with sticky notes or painter’s tape.
  • Cut the vinyl needed for the pocket.
  • Pre-cut hanging ribbon to size.
  • These designs all require a 5x7 hoop, so you can precut your stabilizer for easy hooping.
  • Assemble all of the thread colors needed.
  • Keep all of the components together in a storage container or plastic zip bag.

This way, you have everything you need all at your fingertips. When you get a chance to stitch, grab your project kit. You’d be surprised at how much you can accomplish 10 or 15 minutes at a time.

Having everything arranged ahead of time makes your embroidery time much more productive and enjoyable. After all, this is supposed to be fun, right?