Color Palettes for Lovely Thread Combinations

Color palettes are a brilliant way to get design inspiration.

All of us struggle with choosing embroidery thread colors. You may want to change the original design colors more to your liking. For me, I do not use one type of thread. I have thread from several different manufacturers.

Earlier, I discussed how to easily choose thread colors for your designs using the suggested colors. Many times, color combinations look fabulous to us because they mimic those in nature. I recently found a novel site where you can get color palettes that work beautifully together.

Krisztina created StitchPalettes.com to help embroidering friends who struggled with finding colors that go well together. It eases the anxiety that comes with too many color choices.

Her free thread color combinations can be applied by thread artists regardless of their skill level: those who are just learning as well as seasoned stitchers.

You can filter palettes by color, scheme, season, and theme. She also offers e-books as well as a subscription service where you can upload photos using most smartphones and tablets and convert them into embroidery thread palettes.

Although this site is for determining DMC thread colors used by hand embroiderers, you can use conversion charts and programs to find a similar match in machine embroidery thread.

DMC to Sulky

DMC to Robison Anton

DMS to Arc, Floriani, Madeira

Use color charts and thread converters as a guide. Your monitor color will be different than the printed color which will be different from the thread color. Exact color matches are just not possible unless you are using actual thread swatch samples.

Debbie SewBlest